Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Genos2 / Re: New firmware 1.04 Genos2
« Last post by Bill on Today at 06:48:17 AM »
Hi Mark

Thank you for your response, the only other way (without the motorised sliders) would have been to use a centralised sliding encoder. Any movement in either direction would result in an immediate response, and when the knob is released it returns via a spring much like a mini single way joystick but the set value remains where you set it.  The problem is that the sliders would not look like organ sliders. They don’t now, because the position of the knob is not a true reflection of the value.  Another disaster for Yamaha. You’re Dammed if you do, and dammed if you don’t.
I feel like a song coming on “QUE SERA SERA”.

It is a matter of which method is the lesser (evil) of all the work arounds.
I solved the problem a long while ago using an IPAD, the problem is that I only have the one Ipad and I use it for other things.

Bill
PSR-S970/S770/S670 (SFF2) / Re: Backup expansion packs from keyboard
« Last post by overover on Yesterday at 11:51:15 PM »
Greetings to everyone !
Please, can someone enlighten me ???
On my Yamaha PSR-S670 organ, I installed a year ago, an unprotected .ppf or .ppi package, as it were, from the Internet, with the help of the computer and a USB stick.

Since then, I have modified several things through the organ and in that package ... (at the moment, it sounds much better than it was at the beginning) ... until I reached a final form, without the help of a computer or an external usb stick. (everything I modified and added was done only from the organ's buttons)

Hi sefulretelei,

for your information: I removed your second, identical post in the "Recover expansion pack" thread because one post per request is sufficient. Multi-posting just confuses users.

Best regards,
Chris
PSR-S970/S770/S670 (SFF2) / Re: Backup expansion packs from keyboard
« Last post by sefulretelei on Yesterday at 11:31:31 PM »
Greetings to everyone !
Please, can someone enlighten me ???
On my Yamaha PSR-S670 organ, I installed a year ago, an unprotected .ppf or .ppi package, as it were, from the Internet, with the help of the computer and a USB stick.

Since then, I have modified several things through the organ and in that package ... (at the moment, it sounds much better than it was at the beginning) ... until I reached a final form, without the help of a computer or an external usb stick. (everything I modified and added was done only from the organ's buttons)

Now a friend bought an organ of the same model, and I want to transfer to him the form of the final package from me from the organ, so that the organ can also sound his identical to mine .
I would like to export everything I have in the organ in the form of a single file ( .ppi or .ppf ), in the same way as I uploaded it from the computer to the organ, but in the opposite direction ... to put it back as - he would say, with the present changes ...

For the Yamaha PSR-S550 it was simple, there is a file.bup) ... For the Yamaha PSR-S550 what is to be done ???
Thank you in advance and I wish you a wonderful year !!!
« Last post by Amwilburn on Yesterday at 11:11:00 PM »
Hi John and AndyB

Like you I do not like the sliders. They should have been motorised ones but they are not.

Yamaha have designed the sliders so they do not actually respond until you reach the point where the position matches to actual volume which the style has set.  You do not need to move them up AND down several times, simply move them in the direction needed as shown by the LED’s, and from that point they will work.

The only other way Yamaha could utilise is for an instant response, however that way you will get a massive and sudden change in volume.

Either way is not good, at least Yamaha should at least give us the choice by a menu setup.

Bill

100% this. I get that previously on G1, people complained that accidentally touching a slider could make a channel's volume jump unexpectedly, but with the "match reading and *then* let you adjust" setting, it's often frustrating if you're looking at the main screen or your hands, and you're trying to figure out where the volume was set to before it will then allow you to adjust it. Agree; they should've let you choose 1 setting or the other, or simply gone all the way and avoided the problem with motorized faders (which of course would cost more).

the next best thing they could do is scale it as you're approaching the value. EG the old volume was set at 127, your fader is at the bottom, so now you have to slap it all the way up to be able to bring it down; they should've implemented a velocity of volume change so that if they detect you're heading rapidly upwards towards the volume you want to bring down, maybe start changing it to the *actual* position of the slider (gradually, like a cross fade) once you're say within velocity/2 of the actual dest value.

Would prevent wild jumps, but also people having to go *past* the old value in order to start getting any movement.

Same goes with the other mode (like on G1), where it instantly jumps to the value you've just accidentally flicked it to? Why not have a fixed velocity change so if the stored value of volume was 83, and the fader was at 50 when I accidentally touched it, don't instantly jump to 50. Gradually decrease it. (like 25 velocity values every second, so it take a little over 1s to move from 83 to 50). Won't be so jarring, especially when you accidentally flick to a much higher velocity.

Mark
Eileen & Mark,I must say that you certainly did not test it properly!
An email to Yamaha Support was enough to receive an updated "Genos2 Complete Pack" that resolved the problem!
So they heard it too.
Special thanks to Yamaha Support!

PS: if you play with the "Mellow Trombone" sound in the future, sooner or later you will encounter the problem, and if you then fly out of your chair, just think of this post!
But hey, then there's nothing to worry about, there are those who hear better ;D

I have really, really good hearing for my age (I had to repair a customer's CLP because the Yamaha repair technician and the head of Yamaha Canada service couldn't hear above 16khz, so they couldn't hear the problem). And with a comp sci degree, I also have pretty good debugging skills. And I actually helped design the Yamaha CVP309 (yes you can ask Yamaha Japan).

What seems more likely is you had a bad download of the Genos complete pack (which, as noted by Chris overover initially did have a problem) which was rectified shortly after in November.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=67744.0

Were *you* able to notice that the shakebrass was erroneously monaural on day 1? or did you notice the spittle sampled on legato tenor and alto saxes? (which also shows up in other TOTLA, including PA5x? If so then yes, perhaps your hearing is better.
Eileen & Mark,
I tried as well, I was unable to hear any odd sound. (and remember, I could hear the spittle noise on the saxes and I'm even the one who discovered the knocking of the bow on the piezo pickup on the G1/G2 1st violin sound, and also the one who discovered they accidentally applied a mono dsp to the stereo Shake Brass on G2).

Mark
I must say that you certainly did not test it properly!
An email to Yamaha Support was enough to receive an updated "Genos2 Complete Pack" that resolved the problem!
So they heard it too.
Special thanks to Yamaha Support!

PS: if you play with the "Mellow Trombone" sound in the future, sooner or later you will encounter the problem, and if you then fly out of your chair, just think of this post!
But hey, then there's nothing to worry about, there are those who hear better ;D
I tried as well, I was unable to hear any odd sound. (and remember, I could hear the spittle noise on the saxes and I'm even the one who discovered the knocking of the bow on the piezo pickup on the G1/G2 1st violin sound, and also the one who discovered they accidentally applied a mono dsp to the stereo Shake Brass on G2).

Mark
« Last post by Bill on Yesterday at 09:46:43 PM »

I have also noticed that the sliders are not totally responsive as you have to go up and down quite a lot sometimes to get the sliders to work. I agree with Andy B on the slider thing. ::) As soon as you touch a slider it should respond. Hope it is not a pentium 4 thing!! ;D

All the Best
john

Hi John and AndyB

Like you I do not like the sliders. They should have been motorised ones but they are not.

Yamaha have designed the sliders so they do not actually respond until you reach the point where the position matches to actual volume which the style has set.  You do not need to move them up AND down several times, simply move them in the direction needed as shown by the LED’s, and from that point they will work.

The only other way Yamaha could utilise is for an instant response, however that way you will get a massive and sudden change in volume.

Either way is not good, at least Yamaha should at least give us the choice by a menu setup.

Bill

The Next Yamaha Keyboard / Re: Next Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
« Last post by Amwilburn on Yesterday at 08:59:01 PM »
Maybe 5 or 6% can *actually* play. Most stats put piano owners as 10-12% of the population, but that's including a *lot* of students, a lot of whom you wouldn't want to listen to playing.
The Next Yamaha Keyboard / Re: Why do we always want more?
« Last post by Amwilburn on Yesterday at 08:57:06 PM »
I like what somebody said earlier this year about their first impressions of their Genos 2
' They didn't play better BUT they sounded better'
I have had all the Tyros models and now a Genos  and the only one I regretted buying was the Tyros 3 as I thought it was half baked after the T2
So I agree with folks saying its a new toy and it revitalizes the interest without making you a better player
I have only had my Genos for 3 years so still very much in love with it
I expect i will be a Genos 2 owner in a couple of years too

Interesting. Yes the T3 added the S.Art 2 voices to the T2, and a *much* much better piano, but other than that, not much else. To me, it was a big enough jump, but if you didn't use the piano or the S.Art 2 phrased voices? Literally the same as the T2 (with a few more drum kits, including the Turkish one)

To me, the smallest gap was T4 to T5 (at first; it wasn't until later when YEM really took off that the difference became apparent)

It's weird how underwhelmingly everyone else has presented the G2 though; all the new drums, SArt2 basses, etc... it's a much bigger gap than the T2 to T3, and likewise the T4 to T5, but the online demos really don't focus on the differences (I've only got 2 demos up myself, will be recording a bunch more).

Anyone I've demoed it to in person went "Wow! What a difference!!"

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk