Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Genos2 / Re: Genos 2 multipad problem
« Last post by Joe H on Today at 03:24:37 PM »
John,

Try loading the Multi Pad into PadMaker-Midi and change the Code #.  The choices are 1 - 5.  We don't know what the other codes mean.  You may have to experiment to get the correct code for the MP to play as you like.  Check the PadMAker-Mid manual to see if there is an explanation on the codes.

Joe H
Hi Drake,

MobileSheetsPro is the application, which can solve at least 3 or 4 (maybe all 5) your points at once. When your tablet with MSP is connected to keyboard, by tapping on a song name you can display lead sheet on tablet and set keyboard to start that song. You have library with 450+ songs, but can prepare many different setlists for individual performances. Library is divided by letters A, B, C, ... Z, so you can see your songs beginning by any letter sorted alphabetically. You can even display that song (lead sheet or lyrics) to other musicians/singers playing/singing with you, if they have tablet/phone with MSP.
Just an idea

Lacko
As Divemaster said, there is really nothing that MUSIC FINDER does which you can't do with PLAYLIST.

Like I have stated a couple times already here on the forum, a registration can't do the most important stuff that an actual gigging player uses (or should be using) with regards to the MF.

Using the PLAYLIST is fine if you are sitting at home and entertaining yourself. You have all the time in the world to hunt for a song in your list and then the lead sheet. The MF is for use during a live show.

Well, for just one thing .... you can't embed a CODE into the Playlist and have 16 songs  that you want to do in your first set appear.

Two ...  as already pointed out in this thread, you can not scroll quickly through the list of your 450+ songs to find the song you were just requested to play on the fly. Keep in mind the MF jumps by letter groups A, B, C, D, ...Z (not one song at a time).

Three .. You have found the REQUESTED song style using the MF, but where is the LEAD SHEET? You go to the EDIT tab of the MF and there you can read the CODE you used to organize your songs by SET NUMBER. You grab your song book of 450+ lead sheets and flip to set #18 and quickly flip through 16 sheets to get your music. SIMPLE and fast.

Four.... MF can be coded to show what key you need to transpose into to sing the song.

Five ... the MF calls up the Intro to start the song in and can instantly advance to the first Main to be played. The Playlist might be able to do this but as a performing singer this would take one more slot in the registration that your mic preset up is using for the song. You will have to also set everyone of your 450+ registrations with the INTRO and 5 to 6 mic settings you will be using for that song. That is insane to have to do that.

The biggest mistake Yamaha made was dropping the MF for the Playlist misfunction, if you are performing LIVE.  8)

Drake

Genos2 / Genos 2 multipad problem
« Last post by ugawoga on Today at 01:13:00 PM »
Hi
Delving more into multpads, things get a little strange.
When using the preset multipads all is ok It follows the chords of the style that you play.

So i set about recording two notes alternating for two bars in C for a synth enhancement.

All done, the first chord it plays the sounds just right which is D flat Major7th
When i hit the multipad with a G7th it is an octave higher than i wanted. All using chord follow no repeat.
I cannot find out  whether the multpads can have different inversions.

I am just wondering if there are certain limitations with multipads.
If i want  a different inversion have i got to make another multipad??

All the Best
John :)

Genos Styles/OTS/Multi Pads / Re: How to find the melody?
« Last post by robinez on Today at 12:52:30 PM »
I started Simply Piano this month.
I’m surprised about the results.

I tried Flowkey before.
But for me it wasn’t the help I needed.

lot's of good advice in this thread, but also advice that suits the more experienced players.

Personally I think that you started in a good way by starting to use simply piano. But I got the feeling that you stopped with this, which I can understand. I would advice you to go use the Yousician app, It's less serious than simply piano and more gamification elements to keep you motivated.

« Last post by RoyB on Today at 12:39:01 PM »
Mike

We are on the same page. That is why the program and its tutorials together concentrate on the practicalities and are light on theory, and why they demonstrate how to arrive at the main chords and chords patterns and progressions for any key without having to know any music theory beyond what a chord is. Hopefully, in time, it would all become instinctive.

My own experience is that, after finishing my brief piano lessons at the age of 8, and before I moved on to home organs and then arrangers, for 25 years I played piano at home in my own way in a hybrid fashion, a mixture of playing by ear, playing by copying and playing by reading music. Although my early piano lessions taught me to read music (as long as it isn't too difficult), I tended not to stick to it and ended up improvising the left hand part around what was written. During this time, the type of chord patterns and progressions you talked about did become instinctive. When I listen to a song, I can sketch a visualisation of the chord progression in my head from how it sounds - it may not always be 100% at the beginning but it will be close.

I also developed a habit of playing chord inversions instinctively to transition between chords, and I use chord inversions alot. I was not aware of it at the time, but I now understand that it is a technique known as 'Voice Leading'.
« Last post by mikf on Today at 12:01:56 PM »
Roy, that’s great but I always get concerned when people mention theory. The fact is that unless you are trying to become an orchestrator or arranger or concert pianist, playing music is largely about understanding simple patterns. That’s all most people need, and what they should concentrate on. Theory makes it sound much more of a challenge than it actually is. For example there is no need to understand what chords are useful in which keys once you grasp that there are actually only 3 main chords and they are exactly the same pattern of major and minor thirds in every key. Similarly chord progressions in popular music are repeating patterns, with occasional exceptions.
When people fail to see this as a small number of patterns, music can seem like a tsunami of data, hundreds of chords, thousands of songs and become very intimidating. But when you think in patterns it becomes much simpler.
Mike
« Last post by RoyB on Today at 10:58:42 AM »
Mike

Your point about some chord derivatives containing too many notes to play with one hand is noted in my program for those derivatives, meaning that the only way of attempting to play some of them on an arranger is by missing out a bunch of notes, and perhaps playing them inverted as well.
« Last post by RoyB on Today at 10:49:41 AM »
Mike and others

I agree with all of that, which is why the emphasis on the help tutorial part of the program will be on the KEY side of the program and practical chord usage and how chords relate to scales. I hope the program can be a useful tool to help learn and understand that, and help beginners to learn chords and to play in key scales other than C by seeing what chords work in those scales, and to help them learn those chords and use them in progressions. The working assumption is that there are some hobbyists who are beginners to keyboards and have little or no music theory knowledge, and who may not yet even be familiar with scales. The chord derivatives part is just a handy look-up reference for those (like me) who need to lookup chords from time to time for some chord derivatives in more complicated keys when they are used in sheet music (which is why I started the program in the first place for my own use).

The purpose of the program is to be a practical help tool, rather than a theory learning tool. So the emphasis of the help tutorial will be to demonstrate how chords relate to scales (using information from the program), how easily to get to the diatonic and chromatic (secondary dominant) chords (without getting bogged down in music theory) and why they are important, and then give simple practical examples of how they are used in chord progressions (I hope to give one example of a very popular song from the 1960s where all 6 of the diatonic and chromatic major chords shown, plus some of the minor chords, or their 7ths, are used just in the first verse).

Another aspect I will be promoting in the help/video tutorials is to practice using the chord inversions shown in the program, and I hope to demonstrate the practical benefits of chord inversions in the tutorials.

Regards

Roy
It would be ideal, as we suggested to Yamaha many years ago, if there were two independent instances of reg banks that could be active at the same time (one bank for normal playing and a global bank, e.g. for basic settings such as pedal settings or reverb/VH settings). Unfortunately, this request has not yet been taken up by Yamaha ...

Yes, I can see how this would be useful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk