Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Genos Styles/OTS/Multi Pads / Re: How to find the melody?
« Last post by mikf on Today at 03:34:37 AM »
Roy
If I may put a slightly different thought on chords, I believe that the reason people have so much difficulty in playing chords is because they think in terms of the individual notes in the chord, not patterns. When you think in individual notes ie what specific notes make up a chord, the problem becomes that you are trying to memorize an awful lot of information.
Basically, your really only need to know three basic chord shapes, major, minor and diminished. They are the same in every key. The altered and extended chords all have the clues in the name. A maj 7th chord adds the 7th note of the scale to the maj chord, a 6th the 6th note of the scale and so on. The augmented chord adds a sharpened fifth, the b5 adds a flattened 5th ..
When you think in patterns I think the the whole chord world becomes relatively instinctive. And when you are playing instinctive is what you need. When you think in terms of individual notes, you end up either trying to memorize too much, …….or always consulting chord tables.
If you go down the route of chord tables, you will be stuck in that groove for ever. When you learn to think in patterns, the light bulb will eventually click in, and it will all suddenly seem straightforward.
The real requirement is to intimately know the scales, which is why nearly all traditional lessons and practice emphasize scales, which may seem boring, but are the building blocks of everything in music.
Play scales every time you sit down to play. And if you find it boring, just do a few. Let’s face it, most people learning arrangers don’t play in every key. So just do the ones you commonly use, C F G, maybe Bb. Just do two octaves with each hand, major and minor. Takes less than a minute, but has huge benefits for every aspect of playing - dexterity, fingering, instinctive feel of where those extra chord notes are….
Mike
« Last post by Michael Trigoboff on Today at 01:22:17 AM »
Looking forward to its release.
PSR-SX900/SX700/SX600 / Re: Re-Arranging Register Banks
« Last post by overover on Yesterday at 11:45:52 PM »
Hi Bernie,

As mentioned, a distinction is made here between Registration Bank files (.rgt) and so-called "external files" that are used in registrations (i.e. are called up by registrations. Such "external files" are, for example, edited Styles or MIDI files. (MIDI files are also often called "Songs" in Yamaha jargon.)

So if a registration does not call up a Preset style, but calls up a User style or a MIDI file that is stored either in the User drive or on the USB stick, this style / MIDI file may NOT be moved or renamed later, and of course not the folder in which the Style / MIDI file is stored. The Registration Bank files themselves, however, CAN be moved/renamed as desired.

Best regards,
Chris
PSR-3000/1500 (SFF1) / Hindi Bollywood Music
« Last post by Nash on Yesterday at 11:16:23 PM »
Hello,

I have PSR3000, I am looking for Hindi Bollywood Styles, Beats to download. I would appreciate if anyone out there can help/share the link.
« Last post by Bernie9 on Yesterday at 09:12:26 PM »
Thank you Chris
So, to be clear, if I copy or move file folders that contain songs intact, I am okay.  If I move the song registrations ( songs), as is, from within the folder, I am still okay. Just leave the songs themselves alone, wherever they are moved.

Is that about it?
« Last post by RoyB on Yesterday at 08:50:32 PM »
From time to time, when reading a piece of music, I sometimes find myself having to look up on the Internet the notes for a less-common chord derivative especially if the music is in a more difficult key. So, having some spare time on my hands the past month or so, I decided I would write my own 'chord lookup' program. Once started, I thought it might be something to share with this forum if it would help others to develop their playing abilities, and it then developed into something rather more than a simple 'chord lookup' program.

It is nearing being completed and a sample screen shot is attached. It might look quite complicated, but it is really dead simple to use. Having made a selection from the area on the left (it starts up with the selection of 'C'), the program provides 2 sets of information. One is information on the CHORD of C, and then being able to select numerous derivatives of chord C from the section on the top left(middle) and to see the notes making up the chord in the keyboard section at the bottom.

The other is information on the KEY of C, which is shown in the box in the top right.

You will see that within the information section for the KEY of C are the most important chords for that key (as mentioned by AndyG and PJD) that fit well together to create nice sounding progressions (and forming the basis for much popular music), under the heading Diatonic Chords. Clicking on any of those chords will show the notes making up those chords in the keyboard section at the bottom. Under the heading Chromatic Chords, there are a further set of chords that also fit well together with the Diatonic Chords (which together would cover most popular songs).

As I said, the purpose is to help others (such as Scannie) to understand chords and chord progressions, and to help develop their playing abilities. There is little actual musical theory - I am not competent enough to instruct on theory (I had less that 12 months' piano lessons when I was about 8 years old, and nearly 70 years later much of the theory I was taught has been forgotten).  So the emphasis, together with a help tutorial and possibly a video tutorial, is on what works in practice, the significance of what I have referred to as Diatonic and Chromatic chords, and how to arrive at them for any key without knowing any music theory.

It is not far off being completed (just the help file and a possible video tutorial to do), and I hope it will be useful to some people. As far I as am concerned, if it helps just one person to develop his/her playing, then it will have been worthwhile.

Regards

Roy
Genos Speakers / Foot Pedals / Re: Yamaha HS Speaker Recommendation
« Last post by pjd on Yesterday at 07:21:16 PM »
+1 Angelo's advice.

My Genos is connected directly to a pair of studio monitors (Mackie HR824, long since out of production) and adjust playing volume using the Master Volume knob.

Works for me... I usually play at low volume in order to save my hearing. Never needed a subwoofer as I like flat and balanced best.  :)

All the best -- pj

« Last post by pjd on Yesterday at 07:12:20 PM »
Hi Scannie --

I just got back into town and saw your question and the replies. The replies have good advice, but might be a bit intimidating.

Most how-to articles begin with the C scale (AKA "C Major"), perhaps because it's the easiest to picture and play (i.e., all the white keys):

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/music-theory-notes-intervals-scales-chords
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/musical-tricks-transform-your-tracks

In the first article, you'll see seven chords (3 note triads) which use the white keys: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim. Don't worry about the Bdim (diminished) chord right now, but try playing different combinations (progressions) of the C, Dm, Em, F, G, and Am triad chords. You'll find that zillions of songs are based on some combination of these chords!

And guess what! If you start with Am, you'll find that you can create minor key (sad) songs with this scale, too. That's why the relative minor key to C major is A minor.

Once you're comfortable with C major/A minor, try other keys/scales. The same basic theory applies.

Hope this helps -- pj
« Last post by overover on Yesterday at 06:43:29 PM »
Hi Bernie,

You can move and/or rename Registration Bank files (.rgt) without any problems. Please note, however, that external files used in the registrations (e.g. User Styles, User Multi Pad files, MIDI files or TXT files) may NOT be subsequently moved or renamed (because otherwise the registrations would no longer find these linked files) .

For example, you could copy your previous registrations from the SX900 User drive to a USB stick: In the Registration Bank Selection display touch "File > Copy > Select All > Copy", select the destination path (the connected USB stick) and touch "Copy here".

After you have connected the USB stick to the computer, you can create new category folders on the stick as desired and sort the .rgt files there as desired. Additionally, you could create a folder "A - Z" into which you copy ALL .rgt files so that you can later access them regardless of the category. In this context, note that a maximum of 2500 files per folder are supported. (However, a maximum of 200 files per folder is recommended.)

You don't necessarily have to copy the newly created folders back to the user drive, but you could also use the registrations directly from the USB stick. The only important thing is that external files used by the registrations are still in their original location in the user drive. (Otherwise the registrations would have to be changed.)

P.S.
If you want to access the SX900 user drive directly from your computer, you would have to use the PC (Windows) program "Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader" as the SX900 does not have a USB storage mode function. However, accessing with the MusicSoft Downloader takes some getting used to and is relatively slow because it runs via the USB-MIDI protocol.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
Hi Rich --

I've created/modified Free Play styles and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't play correctly on DGX-670.

Technically, there aren't any special features or format within a Free Play style. Details are available here:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/freeplay-style-deconstructed/

Probably the main characteristics: long MAIN sections that hold notes and MIDI CC expression to change timbre dynamically. No rhythm.

Hope this info helps -- pj
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk