Author Topic: Genos 2/ Sx900 midi  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Foxy72

Genos 2/ Sx900 midi
« on: May 25, 2024, 10:08:19 AM »
Hi I wonder if someone can help me please. I have a G2 and an Sx900 and im trying to midi both together. I have coded voice packs on the Sx900 but when you midi both keyboards together the coded voice packs to not transmit to the G2. Can someone please give me advice.

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Genos 2/ Sx900 midi
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 11:50:28 AM »
Hi Foxy72,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member. I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your Yamaha keyboards here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing them.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there. The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so. You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 112,466 song titles in 2,973 indexed books. Due to health issues, this resource is no longer updated; however, this remains an excellent source of information.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family. If you have any questions, then please just ask. Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 01:15:12 PM »
I don't know what exactly you try to do with the midi connection.
But voices on the SX900 will never play on the Genos and vice versa.
You can send a MSB/LSB/PC from one keyboard to another to let that keyboard play the selected voice, in his list.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 01:43:30 PM »
Can you explain what you want to accomplish?

Then we can possibly tell you what to do.

And WELCOME to the best Yamaha resource on the internet.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 02:07:34 PM »
Hi I wonder if someone can help me please. I have a G2 and an Sx900 and im trying to midi both together. I have coded voice packs on the Sx900 but when you midi both keyboards together the coded voice packs to not transmit to the G2. Can someone please give me advice.

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Foxy!

What exactly do you mean by "coded voice packs"?

Have you perhaps created your own expansion packs for the SX900 in the Expansion Manager (YEM) and would now like to use these packs on the Genos2?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline RayClem

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 04:45:53 PM »
You can connect the Midi out port of the SX900 to the MIDI in port of the Genos2 using a 5 pin DIN cable. However, MIDI ports only send midi data from one port to the other. Thus, you can use the SX900 as a second manual to trigger sound generation on the Genos2, but midi data does not carry actual sound information from one keyboard to another.

If you can create the same SX900 track on your computer, you can play back that track over a computer to Genos2 USB cable. A USB cable has much higher bandwidth than a MIDI cable and can transmit both midi data and sounds.

Offline Foxy72

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 12:33:52 PM »
Hi Thank you for your welcome.
I have a wurlitzer sound which is on my sx900 which was purchased. The Wurlitzer sounds were put pnto a coded usb stick which was coded for only the sx900.
When I have connected my sx900 to my Genos 2 the coded voices eg The Wurltzer will not cpme through to the Genos 2. I know it can be done but it's finding out how

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 04:24:23 PM »
Hi Thank you for your welcome.
I have a wurlitzer sound which is on my sx900 which was purchased. The Wurlitzer sounds were put pnto a coded usb stick which was coded for only the sx900.
When I have connected my sx900 to my Genos 2 the coded voices eg The Wurltzer will not cpme through to the Genos 2. I know it can be done but it's finding out how

Hi Foxy,

Obviously, by "coded" pack you mean a protected pack (also called encrypted), i.e. a CPF file (.cpf). Such purchased packs from third-party manufacturers only work on the keyboard for which the manufacturer originally created the pack (based on the corresponding Instrument Info file), i.e. they cannot be used on any other keyboard.

As already mentioned, you can transfer performance data via a MIDI connection (e.g. Note On/Off, controllers such as volume and expression, bank select and program change, SysEx messages, etc.), and you can control the MIDI sound generation of a keyboard from an external one Control from keyboard or computer. But it is not possible to transfer an installed expansion pack to another keyboard via MIDI.

If a pack is available in non-protected PPF (.ppf) format, you can also install it on other keyboards. If my guess is correct (i.e. you have a third-party CPF pack), you will have no choice but to buy the pack for the Genos2 again. Some pack manufacturers give a generous discount for such "upgrades", but others require you to pay the full price again.

For the sake of completeness: Current Yamaha CPF packs can only be installed on a specific keyboard MODEL, e.g. only on Tyros5-61 or only on Tyros5-76 or only on Genos1. A Yamaha CPF pack cannot therefore be installed on models for which Yamaha does not offer a specific pack.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 04:29:03 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Foxy72

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 05:03:25 PM »
Thanks Chris for your help As it looks it is highly likley I will have to purchase the pack again unless somone has the registration for a good Wurlitzer sound. I play a lot of care homes and if my clients cannot attend The mighty Wurlitzer then The Mighty Wurlitzer must come to them as it helps my clients to remember Blackpool. Many thanks Scott

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 06:46:05 PM »
Thanks Chris for your help As it looks it is highly likley I will have to purchase the pack again unless somone has the registration for a good Wurlitzer sound. I play a lot of care homes and if my clients cannot attend The mighty Wurlitzer then The Mighty Wurlitzer must come to them as it helps my clients to remember Blackpool. Many thanks Scott

Hi Scott,

Have you tried all Genos2 E-Piano Voices (e.g. the "70sVintageEP" and "80sVintageEP" voices in the E.Piano Panel Voice folder and the "VintageEP" voices in the "VintageE.Piano Legacy Voice folder)? Actually, there should be a usable "Wurli" sound among these voices.

You could also try the free expansion pack "Best of Wurlitzer 200A" (.ppf format). You can download it from the following link, import it into the Expansion Manager (YEM) V2.10.0 and install it on your Genos2 (of course it also works on the SX900).

The pack contains 6 different Wurlitzer 200A Voices. If you install all Voices, the pack will require approximately 123 MB of Expansion Wave Memory. For the contents please see the attached screenshot.
>>> Best of Wurlitzer 200A.ppf.zip

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 07:19:02 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 07:13:12 PM »
Hmmm, when Foxy refers to the "Mighty Wurlitzer", they have the Wurlitzer organ in mind.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfkAZEuJMc

Foxy, do you take both keyboards to the care homes? You could play the Wurlitzer sound(s) on the SX900 and send the SX900 audio into the Genos auxiliary audio input. If the intention is to install the Wurlitzer organ pack on the Genos -- and it was encrypted/coded for the SX900 -- then you'll have to get a Genos-specific pack.

Hope these suggestions help -- pj

P.S. CMS Sound Design offer a few relatively inexpensive theatre organ packs:

https://www.cms-sounddesign.com/einzelsounds/organ/organ.html

Edit: Link repaired by overover (".htm" > ".html")
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 08:08:55 PM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2024, 07:38:19 PM »
Hmmm, when Foxy refers to the "Mighty Wurlitzer", they have the Wurlitzer organ in mind.  :) ...

Thank you, pj!

Learned something new again... When I heard the word "Wurlitzer" I had only thought of the famous "200(A)" electric pianos and of course the jukeboxes from this manufacturer. ;)

I've never been interested in Theater Organs or their sounds on keyboards. Isn't there anything suitable among the many "Theater" organ voices in the Genos2's Panel and Legacy Organ voice folders) here?

P.S.
I just found these videos (as far as I know, all Tyros5 Organ World voices are also in Genos/Genos2):

Tyros5: Organ World - Theatre Organ
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnomOQcSZcI

The Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ Registrations played on a Yamaha Genos by Kris Nicholson
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINMDQj51V8

Theatre Organ on the Yamaha Genos 2 - Kevin Romang
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRiKDoEqxXw

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 08:03:14 PM by overover »

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 06:36:24 PM »
I've never been interested in Theater Organs or their sounds on keyboards. Isn't there anything suitable among the many "Theater" organ voices in the Genos2's Panel and Legacy Organ voice folders) here?

Theatre organ is definitely an acquired taste.  ;) I couldn't/wouldn't use most of those sounds in church [a-hem]. However, the "Tibia Acmp" voices are plain enough to give a good principal+flute impression. It's when these stops are combined into "chorus" that most Classical/sacred music people run away in horror.  :)

I have a 1010music Tangerine nanobox on order and feel the urge to sample Genos pipe organ, again. Maybe the "Tibia Acmp" voices -- who knows!?

Take care -- pj