Author Topic: HELP - PSR E433 which buttons are the assign midi channel buttons??  (Read 822 times)

Offline E433Channel

Hi all, I have a PSR E433 and a daw (FL studio), I would like the keyboard to play different plugins on the daw using a button to trigger different plugins.
I've gathered the keyboard has 16 midi channels, so it should be possible to achieve. I just don't know which ones? So far I've figured out that the 'main voice / portable grand piano" button is channel 1 and if I press 'dual voice' channel 1 & 2 are played together, however I can't find channel 2 on its own.

Can someone help me please? Thank you

Offline overover

Hi E433Channel,

With PSR-E models there is no detailed MIDI Setup as usual with PSR-S, Tyros and Genos models. This means that you cannot determine which MIDI channels the internal parts are sent to. The PSR-E433 only has a few global MIDI functions, including "KbdOut", "StyleOut" and "SongOut". This determines whether the keyboard, style and/or song parts are transmitted via USB-MIDI or not.

I don't own a PSR-E model, so I can't test it myself. But I suspect that basically the right keyboard area is transmitted on MIDI channel 1 (regardless of whether only a Main voice is used or an additional Dual voice) and the left keyboard area (if "Split" is activated) is transmitted on MIDI channel 2. Of course, the "KbdOut" function must be set to ON for this.

Everything else (e.g. routing to other MIDI channels) would have to be done on the connected computer, for example directly in the DAW.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: E433Channel

Offline pjd

Welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately, the early E-series are not really cut out to work as a controller with a DAW. Not to be a wise-guy, but you did download the Owner's Manual, Data List and MIDI Reference PDFs?

Yes, the internal tone generator has sixteen MIDI channels accessible by MIDI over USB. Like other low-end PSRs, the keyboard communicates with the tone generator through its own hard-wired "channel." Thus, MIDI channel 1 is not necessarily the same as the panel voice selected by the keyboard front panel...

Yamaha never documented the E433 MIDI implementation extensively including transmit channels. I recommend getting a MIDI monitor like MIDI-OX and see what the keyboard actually sends.

I think you may be expecting too much from the poor old E433. (I had an E443 and gave it to my sister's kids.)

Wishing you luck -- pj

P.S. You'll find a few MIDI control parameters in "The Functions" as described in the Owner's Manual.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 06:49:07 PM by pjd »

Offline SciNote

Few people know LESS about MIDI than me, lol, but I remember reading something here a long time ago about how the voices are assigned to the MIDI channels on this keyboard.  Now, this is by memory from years ago, and I have never tried this (I virtually never use MIDI), so I cannot say for sure if this is correct, but maybe it will give you a starting point.

I remember reading that Channels 1-8 are for the melody tracks in the onboard sequencer, with each track's main and dual voice getting their own channel.  I don't know if it channel 1 = track 1 main, channel 2 - track 1 dual, channel 3 = track 2 main, channel 4 = track 2 dual and so on -- OR -- channel 1 = track 1 main, channel 2 = track 2 main, channel 3 = track 3 main, channel 4 = track 4 main, channel 5 = track 5 main, channel 6 = track 1 dual, channel 7= track 2 dual, channel 8 = track 3 dual.  In any case, since there are 5 melody tracks, each with main and dual voices, making a total of 10 parts to the melody tracks, but only 8 channels that are used for the melody tracks, two of the parts do not get sent.   But again, I'm not 100% sure of the structure.

And then, I believe Channels 9-16 are for the different parts of the auto accompaniment, like the drums, bass, and pads.  Unfortunately, again, I am not sure of the structure -- perhaps they are roughly in the order that those parts are labeled on the accompaniment section on/off buttons, but that is just a guess.  Also, while there are six different accompaniment parts labeled on the buttons on the control panel, I believe some of those parts are spread among two MIDI channels, therefore using all 8 channels from channel 9 to 16.

I do not know if the split voice gets sent or not.  As it cannot be recorded in a multi-track sequencer recording, my guess is that it does not.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:38:16 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline E433Channel

Thanks for your help guys, I've been desperately searching for an answer for a while now & I have read the manual & the midi reference, but my lack of understanding the charts is whats been confusing me. Plus the fact I can get 2 of the instruments to play together whilst in 'dual voice' but not separately, I actually only need to switch between 2 at the moment as well.

Offline pjd

Aaaaaaaaay, no prob. I just wish that I had an E-series, again, so I could be more help.

Given the sketchy Yamaha documentation about the MIDI implementation, your best bet might be puzzling out message info from MIDI-OX (MIDI monitor).

The so-called "MIDI Implementation Chart" is next to useless in many cases and hides a boatload of sin. :)

Take care -- pj