Author Topic: New firmware 1.04 Genos2  (Read 2603 times)

Offline d73

New firmware 1.04 Genos2
« on: May 09, 2024, 11:45:29 AM »

Offline bpsafran

Re: New firmware 1.04 Genos2
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 11:56:29 AM »
Does anyone know if this new version fixes the fact that Dynamic Style Control values were not saved in registrations?

Thanks

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 01:14:07 PM »
Not much of an update then
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 03:50:29 PM »
[V1.02 to V1.04]

Fixed a problem in which Split Points were not reproduced correctly when loading a Registration Memory Bank file that included Split Points set to lower than C1 or higher than C6.
Fixed a problem in which loading a Registration Memory Bank file while playing an Audio Style caused delay in the playback.
Fixed other minor problems.

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 04:20:19 PM »
Thanks. I saw what Yamaha wrote that you quoted above,
but was wondering if the minor bug fixes included having style
dynamics control memorized into a registration. I cannot
do the upgrade for a while. 

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 05:13:12 PM »
Not much of an update then

Nah... just some bugfix, but it's a kind of proof that all the engineers have not gone to sleep at Yamaha.  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »
There are not many updates because Genos2 is working as it should with no real faults. I believe style Dynamics are to be used on the fly whilst playing.

Offline AndyB

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 04:15:59 PM »
No real faults, then what do you call the joke of catch function on the sliders? It is a nightmare, you can't do a simple quick volume change on the fly like you could on the older keyboards. If Yamaha don't fix this abomination, then the Genos 2 is going back to the dealer, if they would take it back. Then there are the most stupid choices Yamaha have put in the OTS, for some of the styles no idea what idiot they had choosing them, some of the choices of instrument don't match the style used.
Technics KN2000, Technics KN650, Technics KN7000, Tyros 4 SE, Tyros 5, Genos 2, NP30 Piano,

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 04:33:00 PM »
I don't see OTS settings as a fault. That is a matter of personal choice. I very rarely use them preferring to set my own voices and volumes into registration banks.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 06:00:22 PM »
Hi Eileen
OTS is great to see where a sound is for the that Quality Genos can achieve :) A good guide line to make you adjust things on a sound that you want to make or a comparison for the best that is possible.

I have also noticed that the sliders are not totally responsive as you have to go up and down quite a lot sometimes to get the sliders to work. I agree with Andy B on the slider thing. ::) As soon as you touch a slider it should respond. Hope it is not a pentium 4 thing!! ;D

All the Best
john
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 06:13:52 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline a048352

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 08:24:53 PM »
Sorry but Genos2 doesn’t work as it should. On many styles if sou send the kick to aux1-2, it still plays through main L/R. And when you play an audio file, it still stutters when you open menus/other screen. Looks like they gotn’t their threads right. Or the processor isn’t fast enough to process everything. I reported the bug in november 2023 to yamaha who confirmed it, but now after 7 months it still isn’t fixed… :(
And where is the new organ vcm simulator? It is implemented in all the other (and cheaper) stagepiano’s from Yamaha, but unfortunately not in Genos2.
And why are all the extra instruments from the last 5 years not added in Genos2? But still have to be installed by the user and thus losing already >1.5Gb of user sample memory?
It is a great keyboard, but it could’ve been so much better…

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2024, 08:50:10 PM »
Every few months like clockwork, some people feel the need to rant. Maybe it's a medication issue? If the best a person can do is to make derogatory comments and call others stupid and idiots, do they really expect to be taken seriously. Genos 2 is an excellent keyboard, and no it's not perfect, how could it be, and what an unreasonable expectation. One should be playing and having fun with their chosen keyboard, if not then there are plenty of alternatives out there. It's not always the fault of the keyboard.

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline Bill

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2024, 09:46:43 PM »

I have also noticed that the sliders are not totally responsive as you have to go up and down quite a lot sometimes to get the sliders to work. I agree with Andy B on the slider thing. ::) As soon as you touch a slider it should respond. Hope it is not a pentium 4 thing!! ;D

All the Best
john

Hi John and AndyB

Like you I do not like the sliders. They should have been motorised ones but they are not.

Yamaha have designed the sliders so they do not actually respond until you reach the point where the position matches to actual volume which the style has set.  You do not need to move them up AND down several times, simply move them in the direction needed as shown by the LED’s, and from that point they will work.

The only other way Yamaha could utilise is for an instant response, however that way you will get a massive and sudden change in volume.

Either way is not good, at least Yamaha should at least give us the choice by a menu setup.

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2024, 11:11:00 PM »
Hi John and AndyB

Like you I do not like the sliders. They should have been motorised ones but they are not.

Yamaha have designed the sliders so they do not actually respond until you reach the point where the position matches to actual volume which the style has set.  You do not need to move them up AND down several times, simply move them in the direction needed as shown by the LED’s, and from that point they will work.

The only other way Yamaha could utilise is for an instant response, however that way you will get a massive and sudden change in volume.

Either way is not good, at least Yamaha should at least give us the choice by a menu setup.

Bill

100% this. I get that previously on G1, people complained that accidentally touching a slider could make a channel's volume jump unexpectedly, but with the "match reading and *then* let you adjust" setting, it's often frustrating if you're looking at the main screen or your hands, and you're trying to figure out where the volume was set to before it will then allow you to adjust it. Agree; they should've let you choose 1 setting or the other, or simply gone all the way and avoided the problem with motorized faders (which of course would cost more).

the next best thing they could do is scale it as you're approaching the value. EG the old volume was set at 127, your fader is at the bottom, so now you have to slap it all the way up to be able to bring it down; they should've implemented a velocity of volume change so that if they detect you're heading rapidly upwards towards the volume you want to bring down, maybe start changing it to the *actual* position of the slider (gradually, like a cross fade) once you're say within velocity/2 of the actual dest value.

Would prevent wild jumps, but also people having to go *past* the old value in order to start getting any movement.

Same goes with the other mode (like on G1), where it instantly jumps to the value you've just accidentally flicked it to? Why not have a fixed velocity change so if the stored value of volume was 83, and the fader was at 50 when I accidentally touched it, don't instantly jump to 50. Gradually decrease it. (like 25 velocity values every second, so it take a little over 1s to move from 83 to 50). Won't be so jarring, especially when you accidentally flick to a much higher velocity.

Mark

Offline Bill

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2024, 06:48:17 AM »
Hi Mark

Thank you for your response, the only other way (without the motorised sliders) would have been to use a centralised sliding encoder. Any movement in either direction would result in an immediate response, and when the knob is released it returns via a spring much like a mini single way joystick but the set value remains where you set it.  The problem is that the sliders would not look like organ sliders. They don’t now, because the position of the knob is not a true reflection of the value.  Another disaster for Yamaha. You’re Dammed if you do, and dammed if you don’t.
I feel like a song coming on “QUE SERA SERA”.

It is a matter of which method is the lesser (evil) of all the work arounds.
I solved the problem a long while ago using an IPAD, the problem is that I only have the one Ipad and I use it for other things.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 07:21:36 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2024, 08:18:14 PM »
No real faults, then what do you call the joke of catch function on the sliders? It is a nightmare, you can't do a simple quick volume change on the fly like you could on the older keyboards. If Yamaha don't fix this abomination, then the Genos 2 is going back to the dealer, if they would take it back. Then there are the most stupid choices Yamaha have put in the OTS, for some of the styles no idea what idiot they had choosing them, some of the choices of instrument don't match the style used.

While I wouldn't call it a nightmare, I agree, I don't like the sliders the way they are. They should definitely give us the option to do the "instant change" G1 sliders vs the "wait until you match the value first" G2 sliders. Incidentally, I find it helps a *lot* to first slide them to where the LEDs are lit up to; rather than sliding up and down blindly to find the catch value. But I agree, the instant change (but with a maximum fixed rate velocity) would be preferable.

Mark

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2024, 08:26:47 PM »
I have set the 6 knobs to control the volumes, as well as
the sliders. That way you have a choice since the knobs
change the volume from its current setting. But sometimes
you might want to use a slider.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2024, 08:31:10 PM »
I have set the 6 knobs to control the volumes, as well as
the sliders. That way you have a choice since the knobs
change the volume from its current setting. But sometimes
you might want to use a slider.

*smacks head* how did I not think of that; that's a great workaround, thanks!

btw I just installed 1.04, it doesn't fix the dynamics control, nor the monaural dsp applied to BigBandBrass SW, nor the newly discovered glitch by musicman01 in the Genos complete pack's MellowTrombone.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,69441.msg522641/topicseen.html#msg522641

Mark

Offline rattley

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2024, 11:51:59 PM »
.............."I have set the 6 knobs to control the volumes, as well as the sliders."

Great Idea!!   Move to the head of the class!!!  -charley

Offline terryB

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2024, 04:31:54 PM »
After a bit of experimenting with the style dynamics for a while, I think I agree with Eileen, that they are intended to be used on the fly whilst setting up the sound you require from the style used. If you want keep the settings you need to save them as a user style, and then as a registration. Just my thoughts after a short experiment.
Cheers
Terry

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2024, 05:18:32 PM »
But there is no a priori reason the style dynamic control
should not be savable in a registration. 
All the other knob and slider values can be saved
in registrations. I very much would like to see this fixed
via a firmware update: save style dynamics control
in a registration.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 05:19:39 PM by bpsafran »

Offline terryB

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2024, 08:00:13 PM »
But is this possible I don't know

Offline SynthHog

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2024, 11:01:16 AM »
Hi there Folks....Only had my Genos-2 a couple of weeks....Might be a silly question....I've a USB stick which i've Installed various Expansion packs on to the Genos from....Do i need to use a blank USB stick or is the stick okay with the Various Packs left on?
Thanks in advance.....

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2024, 11:34:50 AM »
I take it that you used the packs on the USB to load into the YEM. By all means keep these on a USB as back ups. I also have mine saved to a folder on my computer.

The following users thanked this post: SynthHog

Offline SynthHog

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2024, 11:54:05 AM »
I take it that you used the packs on the USB to load into the YEM. By all means keep these on a USB as back ups. I also have mine saved to a folder on my computer.

Thanks for the quick response....Yes i did use YEM and yip also saved in a folder on my computer.....
I'll just fire the Update onto the same stick and Update...
Thanks again....

Offline sh

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2024, 06:52:08 PM »
But there is no a priori reason the style dynamic control
should not be savable in a registration. 
All the other knob and slider values can be saved
in registrations. I very much would like to see this fixed
via a firmware update: save style dynamics control
in a registration.

I can only second that. It may well be that others have different workflows but at least for me using registrations heavily with complex songs and simultaneous singing I can't change the dynamics during my performance. It would be nice if others would simply accept that instead of defending Yamaha or assuming that this functionality is "meant to be that way".

Also, for the sliders, I would be more than happy if the behaviour could be changed (as an option) as follows:
  • if no style is running the value should be taken from the current position of the slider immediately
  • if a style is running the user should decide via setting if the value need to be "catched" or simply taken from the current position (Genos 1 behaviour)

For me, this would save me a lot of unneccessarily moving the sliders during sound creation most of the time.

I hope that Yamaha is listening to their loyal users and enhance an already incredible instrument even further.

Sven
--
Genos 2 (upgrade from Genos 1), several condenser mics (Audio-technica, DPA, Shure), RME Fireface UC, Studio One Pro 6, Behringer QX1832