Author Topic: Importing Yamaha SX900 to UK: Customs Duties and VAT?  (Read 783 times)

Offline fantasyvn

Importing Yamaha SX900 to UK: Customs Duties and VAT?
« on: May 07, 2024, 09:32:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just found that the price of the SX900 in a foreign country is much cheaper than the current price for the same keyboard in the UK. I don't know why. But suppose I can buy it abroad and bring it back to the UK. I guess I may need to deal with customs duties and VAT when importing the keyboard.

Does anyone have experience or advice on what to expect in terms of taxes and paperwork when bringing an instrument into the UK? Is it likely that I will have to pay a big amount in the UK, which would defeat the purpose of buying the keyboard abroad?

Thanks in advance!

Offline KurtAgain

Re: Importing Yamaha SX900 to UK: Customs Duties and VAT?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 11:42:11 PM »
Keep in mind that Yamaha UK may not provide a warranty on a self-imported device.

Kurt

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 08:41:02 AM »
I pretty regularly take my keyboards into Europe and back to the UK..Just put them in as part of your luggage.. No boxes. I've never once had an issue.
We've got family in Switzerland and France, and friends in the EU.
Don't over think it would be my advice  8)
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 09:12:59 AM »
Kurt is right. Maybe it would be good if you check Yamaha warranty policy first -just so you know where you stand.

But speaking for me, I don't care about that at all (if price is right). In last 40+ years I've bough a lot of electro-stuff and I never needed a warranty repair -and no, I don't think that I was just lucky. The thing is, percent of flawed products is extremely small (especially if we buy a brand with good reputation) and so probability for something bad to happen is very slim.
How much warranty do we get if we buy a car second hand, which can cost 10-times more than keyboard? Yes, sh*t can happen.. but we still buy it.

I don't try to convince anyone -is just my personal way of thinking.
Bogdan
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:18:17 AM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 09:14:45 AM »
Use one of the many import duty calculators available on line.

https://www.chambercustoms.co.uk/ukimporttaxcalculator

Do it right.  Remember if you get caught attempting to break the law by pretending it is OK, you will have a fine on top of the actual duty.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:17:31 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 02:04:35 PM »
You can’t ship it in, you would have to carry it in personally to have any chance of avoiding duties and taxes. And for me the price difference would need to be awfully big to be worth that kind of trouble, especially since even bringing it in personally has a risk - admittedly small - of being charged anyway, if it is obviously new.
And be careful with published prices, make sure there are no additional local taxes and extras to be added in.
I got caught out buying wine last year in Italy. I bought two cases because they told me each of us had an allowance of 12 bottles, it was great wine, the price was fair, but then they added about 20% on for local tax, and added shipping charges. It took two weeks for it to arrive in the country. And then the shipping company refused to deliver it until I paid another 25% or thereabouts for UK taxes. Turned out the allowance only works if you carry it personally.
The money was a nuisance, no big deal, although it probably made the price way more than it was worth. But the real pest was it took lots of phone calls and paperwork when I got back to get it cleared and delivered by the shipping company. And then they didn’t leave it, because we were out , since it’s alcohol and they insisted a person over 21 be there to sign for it. I had to drive in to their depot in the city, and bring it home myself.
Great wine but not worth the hassle. Didn’t even get to drink most of it, because my family all thought it looked interesting and each took a few bottles home. >:(

Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 01:34:31 AM »
Keep in mind that Yamaha UK may not provide a warranty on a self-imported device.

Kurt

They will. Most companies do this; they split up the global into national divisions, and then each national division (Yamaha Canada, US, UK) is responsible for their own product support. So if you get it for a lot less (I'm talking equivalent to a used price in the UK) then I guess it's worth taking the risk

From personal experience, working in music retail for a few decades now, I can tell you that everyone thinks they'll never have to use their warranty. Until they do, and they find out just how horribly expensive it can be. Anything can go, any brand, and the cost of repair is often *more* than buying a new unit, if not under warranty. While I'm not talking about Yamaha, there are 2 other major brands (which I won't name, since we sell one of them as well), where I've seen the *warranty* repair cost (due to shipping, etc) ended up being more than the cost of a new unit(!)

Buyer beware.

Mark

Offline stevem

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 12:27:40 PM »
A quick Google shows Thomann have sx900 at £1744, Inc shipping. Having just bought GNS-01 speakers from them at £277, much cheaper than UK price, I think was worth it; However, I don't know what the risk factor is in event of any warranty claim.

A&C Hamilton have sx900 new at £1999. They also list used ones at £1499. My previous (new) sx900 was bought June 2023 for £1700. (Traded in this March for Genos2).  So, new ones have gone up quite a bit in the last year. With hindsight, i could have bought a secondhand Genos 1,  and still traded it in for same price!
So I'm suggesting you consider a used UK one, from a reputable UK dealer..... Or maybe even a Genos 1 (budget/portability considerations).  The Distance Sales thing means you could return if you're unhappy with it.

You don't say what country/continent you're considering, so you may be open to various charges, and extremely variable shipping conditions - I've some past  experience in  global distribution, seen a lot of damaged/ pilfered goods. Claims can take years to sort 😕 .

One other, poss minor consideration is the model age - that is to say the Sx900 could be close to the end of its probable production time?

Whatever you do, I hope you get years of pleasure from your purchase
Kind regards, steve