Author Topic: "Seeking Advice: Using SX900 Vocal Harmony for Songwriting and Demos  (Read 487 times)

Offline fantasyvn

Hi everyone,

I seek your advice regarding the use of vocal harmony on the SX900. I'm trying to decide between the SX900 and the SX700 for songwriting and creating demos. In terms of styles and voices, I know the SX700 would suffice for my needs. However, I'm curious about the unique vocal harmony feature on the SX900 and whether it fits into my workflow.

Here's how I typically work: I'll record the styles from the Yamaha arranger, whether it's the SX700 or SX900, as either a MIDI or audio file. Then, I'll import that file into my DAW (Reaper) on my computer. Following that, I'll need to record my vocals. Given that I'm not adept at mixing and my singing is average, I'm wondering if it's both feasible and straightforward to record my voice with the SX900's vocal harmony feature onto the backing track in my computer. Can anyone advise if this is possible and easy to do?

I have watched quite a few YouTube videos on SX900 but did not yet find a relevant video clip for this purpose.

Offline KurtAgain

Depending on the price difference between the SX700 and SX900 in your country, it may make more sense to buy the SX700 and an external device, e.g. from TC Helicon. In addition, an external device can be used more flexibly.

Kurt

Offline fantasyvn

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Does it seem the vocal harmony in SX900 is most suitable for live singing rather than for the recording purpose?

Offline KurtAgain

Does it seem the vocal harmony in SX900 is most suitable for live singing rather than for the recording purpose?

Yes I think so. But I have to say that I am a "full theorist" in this area, i.e. I don't sing myself. But you should keep in mind that the SX900's vocal harmony is controlled by the chords you play or by a MIDI file.

Kurt

Offline DrakeM

For the Vocal Harmony to work it's thing you have to be playing the keyboard. The VH2 works off of the chord you are playing in order to harmonize with your voice. You can use it without playing the keyboard but I can't tell how well it works that way for sure. But I does cool sounding harmonies by following the chords.

From watching Youtube videos, I think the TC Helicon sounds clearer than the VH2. But it might be because they are using an expensive mic (mine cost $80). I think the TC Helicon works by you telling it what key you are singing in. For performing live with the keyboard, it is limited to the number of presets that it can hold at one time. Setting up the harmonies isn't something you can do on the fly while you are performing from the videos. I use over 30+ different vocal presets. 

Since you are not going to be using it live, I'd go with the TC Helicon. I wish Yamaha would use it in their keyboards but it would have to hold a lot more presets.

I have over 200+ videos on Youtube using the VH2 live for plenty of examples of what it sounds like.

Drake

Offline KurtAgain

Alois from Germany has some videos on YouTube showing the use of a TC-Helicon device connected to a PSR-S970 and a Genos. He controls the harmonies of the TC-Helicon with a MIDI cable from the keyboard.

The videos are in German, but I think if you switch on the subtitles generated by YouTube, you can follow the content of the videos quite well.

#1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1PGap6B6vQ
#2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevgNgC0-4Y
#3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adALPi0YdzI
#4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E1njTNAXvw

Kurt

Offline DrakeM

Looking at Alois videos on YouTube the TC-Helicon can only hold 3 different setups at a time. I don't know why the company can't make that unit hold an Unlimited amount of pre-setups like the VH2 can do.

Drake

Offline KurtAgain

There is a mobile app for the TC Helicon with additional presets, but it doesn't seem to have been maintained for years. And this app seems to work like an acoustic coupler modem from the last century for data transfer. Oh well. I mentioned TC Helicon just as an example of external devices.

Offline fantasyvn

My sincere thanks to everyone. I will watch the videos you suggested to have a better idea of what other harmony devices may do for my purpose.

So far, if I am not mistaken, it seems I don't need the vocal harmony of SX900 for my recording purpose since the harmony feature of SX900 is more suitable for live singing.

I also do not need the bluetooth feature or the ability to link to a bigger screen for karaoke purpose.

At this point, it seems the SX700 may be a suitable choice for songwriting and recording using the Yamaha styles while the SX900 would not add so much. Because as I said, although the SX900 certainly has more and perhaps better voices and styles, I believe the voices of SX700 is more than enough for me. Meanwhile, it is easy to download or to buy more styles for SX700.

If you have further advice, pls let me know.

Regards,

Offline J. Larry

I play live with the SX 900 and thought I’d use the VH harmony a lot.  However, I found it takes some work to adjust the appropriate harmony for a given song, getting the balance right, the reverb, delay, etc… Those features can vary depending on the harmony patch selected.  It takes a lot of work, but here’s what I do instead, which may be out of the mainstream for arranger players.  I record the song’s rhythm track into a DAW, then add overdubs and vocal harmonies that I sing.  Then, I play/sing live with all backing tracks mixed to Wav files.  That frees-up the hands and allows more freedom in playing and performing.

Offline fantasyvn

Re: "Seeking Advice: Using SX900 Vocal Harmony for Songwriting and Demos
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2024, 07:55:29 PM »
I play live with the SX 900 and thought I’d use the VH harmony a lot.  However, I found it takes some work to adjust the appropriate harmony for a given song, getting the balance right, the reverb, delay, etc… Those features can vary depending on the harmony patch selected.  It takes a lot of work, but here’s what I do instead, which may be out of the mainstream for arranger players.  I record the song’s rhythm track into a DAW, then add overdubs and vocal harmonies that I sing.  Then, I play/sing live with all backing tracks mixed to Wav files.  That frees-up the hands and allows more freedom in playing and performing.

Thank you for your perspective. Can you explain how you record the song's rhythm track into a DAW? I guess there are a few ways, and so I would appreciate learning more about your method because I'm especially interested in ways to record the styles into a DAW.