Author Topic: How can I quickly switch on/off the "vocal harmony" function  (Read 895 times)

Offline herb

Hi , may I ask the question as above ...
In performance, we only need the "vocal harmony" function partially halfway playing the song. It will be a good thing to have a physical button for switching on/off the function but PX900 doesn't have such a button. Now I can make it happen though "Regidtration memory" only. Any better solution ?

=======
I then checked articles in the board and found solutions as following:

1. Assign it to an ASSIGNABLE button
2. Assign it to a Pedal (foot switch)

Thank you who posted them :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 03:58:48 AM by herb »

Offline maarkr

Re: How can I quickly switch on/off the "vocal harmony" function
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 03:56:02 AM »
I use registrations for most all of my song styles. Save the reg with the harmony on, then save the next reg with the harmony off.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

The following users thanked this post: herb

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 04:01:47 AM »
You can map it to one of the assignable buttons just below the screen
Current: SX900
Past: PSR1100, PSR S700

The following users thanked this post: herb

Online DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 12:33:16 PM »
I use registrations for most all of my song styles. Save the reg with the harmony on, then save the next reg with the harmony off.

I also use the Registration method.

I have slot #1 set up with the mic completely OFF (no sound at all).
Slot #2 is set up with No Reverb on the mic and the volume turned way up high. I use it to TALK to the audience, it makes it easy to get their attention.
Then at the other end of the Registration I have Slot #7 set up with just my voice and No Backup singer with about 17% reverb added (you got to have a bit on your mic).
Slot #8 has the Backup Singer with my Voice (again with reverb).   

I have over 30 different settings. Some with one singer as backup, two singers as backup, some are with men others have women. Then some have 17%, 25%, 40% and 50% of Reverb on the mic, it all depends on the song. 

A few setups use a third slot #6, there I use the Voice Doubler or the Male to Female harmony.

I always take the time to setup a custom style for each song to perform each tune. I never use a registration for that task, except in rare situations.

Regards
Drake

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, herb

Offline CPAC

Hi Drake,
I am just about to get either a used genos or more likely a SX900 but don't have it yet so I misunderstood your last post about setting up different harmony settings.  Your first sentence said, "I also use the registration method".  Your last sentence said, "I never use a registration for that task...".  I know you have a lot of experience performing and I hope to get into it one day.  I understand what you said about having different registrations with different mike/reverb settings.  I just got confused about what you meant at the end about taking the time to set up custom styles and not letting registrations do that.

Thanks,
Chris

Online DrakeM

Hello Chris

I never use a registration to control how the style is setup to sound. I always setup each STYLE so I can perform it using just the style and not a button on the registration. 

I use a registration to control the reverb mic settings and vocal harmony backup singers only.

Some keyboard players use the registration to setup up how the voices will sound in their styles. They sometimes have issues when moving on to the next keyboard or if they move the registration's location or the styles to another location, things get messed up and confusing at times. 

I take the time to setup each of the parts used in the style, the OTS and balance all the Mains of the style together for the perfect sound that I want to come out of my keyboard every time I perform the song.

For example when I set in at an open mic bar, I can simply plug in my keyboard to their PA system and tell them the turn off all the reverb in the channel I am plug into.

When I get a new keyboard, my styles will sound perfect the first time and every time I use them. No headaches, no problems, no worries.

Online DrakeM

I think the confusion is with the newer keyboards that no longer have the MUSIC FINDER as my S950 has. It is a handy feature that Yamaha has done away with for some unknown reason.

With the SX keyboard you will be stuck with using the registration to call up your custom song styles. You might use Slot #1 to save the intro you will use for the song. Then use Slots #7 and #8 to hold your mic settings.

I dread getting the SX keyboard knowing the Music Finder is now missing from the keyboards. I may wind up simply putting my styes in 20 folders with 16 styles (songs) in each of them. Then just select the style I want and referred to my lead sheet as to how the song starts, with an intro or one of the mains. That way the registrations I would still only use for Mic settings and controlling the backup singers.   

Offline Divemaster

I think the confusion is with the newer keyboards that no longer have the MUSIC FINDER as my S950 has. It is a handy feature that Yamaha has done away with for some unknown reason.

With the SX keyboard you will be stuck with using the registration to call up your custom song styles. You might use Slot #1 to save the intro you will use for the song. Then use Slots #7 and #8 to hold your mic settings.

I dread getting the SX keyboard knowing the Music Finder is now missing from the keyboards. I may wind up simply putting my styes in 20 folders with 16 styles (songs) in each of them. Then just select the style I want and referred to my lead sheet as to how the song starts, with an intro or one of the mains. That way the registrations I would still only use for Mic settings and controlling the backup singers.

Hi Drake

You CAN actually have the Music Finder Database on your proposed new SX900.
It's just called PLAYLIST instead.

I've transferred all the Tyros models except T1, and also have several other TOTL keyboards on my regular memory stick.

You basically just put the relevant MFD file on a stick, and then put that into the SX. It then advises you that you can convert the file to a playlist.

Each mfd file takes 5/6 minutes to convert, but once done you then simply press the new (say T5) file,  followed by your playlist button, and it's all there just as before.

The ONLY thing you can't do, unlike the older models, is scroll through the list alphabetically except by using the Up Down buttons which can be a bit tiresome. There's no quick A_Z search function.

I have about 15 Playlists including your S950, G1 and G2 on my SX700. All play well.

Why so many.... Well because a lot of older songs are not on newer keyboards.

I'm sure you will  really like your SX when you get it.

MFD files are here to save you a search.

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/OF/musicfinder.html

Keith.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:08:17 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

The following users thanked this post: DrakeM

Offline DerekA

As Divemaster said, there is really nothing that MUSIC FINDER does which you can't do with PLAYLIST.

It's true that you have to prepare some custom registrations first, with the right style / voice / section preselected. But you can put those registrations anywhere you want in your USB / user drive, then link them to a PLAYLIST.
Genos

Offline overover

... I never use a registration to control how the style is setup to sound. I always setup each STYLE so I can perform it using just the style and not a button on the registration. 

I use a registration to control the reverb mic settings and vocal harmony backup singers only. ...

Hi Keith and Derek,

Drake obviously only uses Registrations (normally just one) to switch the Mic Reverb and Vocal Harmony settings. This means that this registration is always active. He saves all other “voice-relevant” settings directly into his styles (which he calls up either directly or via the Music Finder).

This system is not possible if you work “normally” with registrations, i.e. use a registration bank for each song title or use the Playlist feature. Theoretically, you could assign (only) Mic/VH ON/OFF settings to a few registration buttons for each individual bank, but if you make later changes you would have to edit all reg banks (which of course is not particularly useful and is quite time-consuming).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:01:51 PM »
Selecting a playlist entry just activates a registration. There's nothing stopping you then calling up *another* registration on top of it to control other things, apart from the inconvenience of having to find it again from the list once you've selected the playlist entry.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: Today at 04:19:20 PM »
Selecting a playlist entry just activates a registration. There's nothing stopping you then calling up *another* registration on top of it to control other things, apart from the inconvenience of having to find it again from the list once you've selected the playlist entry.

Hi Derek,

That's exactly the problem: You can't have two registration banks active at the same time, you can only access them one after the other. If you use a registration bank with multiple registrations to play with a style (as Yamaha provides), it is very inconvenient to switch to another bank during the song to control, for example, vocal harmony on/off.

It would be ideal, as we suggested to Yamaha many years ago, if there were two independent instances of reg banks that could be active at the same time (one bank for normal playing and a global bank, e.g. for basic settings such as pedal settings or reverb/VH settings). Unfortunately, this request has not yet been taken up by Yamaha ...

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)