Author Topic: sustain pedal  (Read 295 times)

Offline john1509

sustain pedal
« on: May 01, 2024, 06:58:50 PM »
helo eveyone i have a sx 700 that i have been playing for 12 months now.my question is i have one sustain pledal that i use. but i can add another one if i wanted to. does anyone use 2 pedals  and what benefit does it give you thanks

Offline mikf

Re: sustain pedal
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 09:38:57 PM »
You can select from the menu a whole list of different functions to control with a pedal. Like stop/starting styles, tapping in tempo, advancing thru registrations. And there are different types of pedal, piano style sustain, simple on/off switches and expression pedals which can control volume or pitch bend.
You need to look into this before deciding. Many players use two or even three pedals. Not sure what sx600 can handle.
Mike

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 12:22:45 AM »
helo eveyone i have a sx 700 that i have been playing for 12 months now.my question is i have one sustain pledal that i use. but i can add another one if i wanted to. does anyone use 2 pedals  and what benefit does it give you thanks

The SX700 has two pedal jacks. I use both jacks: a Yamaha FC-4A sustain pedal and a Yamaha FC-7 foot controller (expression pedal). The FC-7 controls volume and the FC-4A controls either rotary speed (organ voices) or sustain.

Chapter 10 in the SX900/SX700 Reference Manual lists all of the stuff that can be assigned to the two pedal inputs.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 10:15:46 AM »
As other have mentioned, there are a lot of things for which we can use pedals.
I have FC-7 pedal, however I don't use it really. I think the typical use would be for playing organ... listen to this song and pay attention on how organ volume changes -but believe me, it's much harder to accomplish this than one might think. FC-7 really needs a lot of practicing.

I mainly use normal sustain/switch pedals (sustain pedal is switch actually, it only has different shape and feel). I use pedals for changing something that's hard to do while both hands are busy playing: switching from one style variation to next one, repeating variation (to insert fill-in), to switch trough registration sequence, to change OTS voice, etc. In short: that way I have my hands free for playing only, without the need to push buttons while I play.
Yes, sometimes I wish SX700 would have 3rd jack for pedal  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube