Author Topic: Saving custom registrations from SX900 to Genos2  (Read 402 times)

Saving custom registrations from SX900 to Genos2
« on: May 01, 2024, 04:32:51 PM »
I have read many posts and watched videos on how to move personal registrations from older Tyros models and Genes (1) to Genos2. There is even a Yamaha media video which explains how to do it. But I haven't found any way to move (on hard drive and USB drives) from SX900 to Genos2. Some have mentioned Michael Bedesem's software to convert them, but they are for Windows users and I have a Mac. I have hundreds of carefully saved registrations (each named with several numbered changes) for songs that I would love to move without having to reset and save every one of those I love on the SX900.  I do agree that the keybed and voices of the Genos2 are superior, but my registrations on the SX900 reflect years of having and playing it since it was introduced. I still take it gigging and find it a wonderful instrument as well - lighter weight and onboard very nice speakers for small venues (and additional non onboard speakers where required.)

I really appreciate the expertise here and if it cannot be done, it would be best to know it from the beginning. I have updated the operating system (for both keyboards) and still working to add the Playlist for Genos2 of songs/recommended styles. I've seen posts on that, but in many cases, I prefer what I had on SX900 as registrations over this list.

Best,
John

Offline johan

Re: Saving custom registrations from SX900 to Genos2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 05:23:50 PM »
I am afraid the Yamaha Registration Manager of Michael Bedesem is currently the only way to convert registrations from SX700/900 to Genos2 (a bit strange that the Sx700/900 can read Genos / Genos2 registrations without any problem). My advice is to look for a Windows emulator on your Mac or to use someone else’s Windows PC to convert your registrations. They might still need some manual finetunings afterwards however.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:54:49 PM »
It’s not Michael Bedesem’s program, it’s Murray Best’s.

Converting your registrations using the program would take about 5 minutes.

If you put your registrations on a file sharing service, one of us can easily convert them for you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 12:33:05 AM »
Gosh Fred.... I've known you to be a HUGE inspiration of knowledge around here and play from your lead sheets almost every day. Best ever!!! I'd be SOOOO grateful if you could convert my registrations. I'm afraid I need a little guidance as to how to do it. I am guessing I need to copy from my USB drive to Dropbox??? Could you please give me baby step instructions on how to do. Thanks for correcting me about the converting software and it's originator.
Best,
John

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 04:40:35 AM »
Well I good news to report that Fred Smith was able to convert many of my custom registrations from use on the SX900 to the new Genos2. It has taken me hours to learn how to FIND the .rgt files for each and then send to him from Dropbox with the correct link. He is always a voice of reason, patience and exceptional generosity with his knowledge and time. I am most grateful to him for helping me with this and also to Murray Best for his marvelous program making this conversion happen. I'm a better player than I am with these technical issues/ opportunities.

Thank you again Fred for your help. Thank you Joe, Roger, Chris and all the members who have helped me over the years. Even with the User and Technical Manuals and all the videos on youtube/ internet, there really isn't ANY substitute for the valuable help and ideas found here on the PSR Tutorial Forum.

Best to all,
John

The following users thanked this post: Roger Brenizer