Author Topic: FSB ... How is it different?  (Read 427 times)

Offline Jurisdictionary

FSB ... How is it different?
« on: April 30, 2024, 01:21:57 PM »
I have a Genos and thinking about buying an SX900 that has FSB keyboard action.
I've owned many synths over the ages, including my Genos, and the old "synth style" action is what I like.
Please, if you know, how does the FSB action on the SX900 differ from my Genos, SY-99, and other synth action keyboards?
If a local store had an SX900 I could go play one before I buy, but here in Tampa not one store stocks it.
Please help me understand how the FSB action differs.  (I do NOT like weighted keys.)

Offline KurtAgain

Re: FSB ... How is it different?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 02:12:48 PM »
The key travel on the SX900 is smaller than on the Genos, it has no after touch and, in my opinion, the keys feel a bit wobblier. Like the Genos, the keyboard is not weighted.

Kurt

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 02:37:20 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Jurisdictionary!

I have a Genos and thinking about buying an SX900 that has FSB keyboard action.
I've owned many synths over the ages, including my Genos, and the old "synth style" action is what I like.
Please, if you know, how does the FSB action on the SX900 differ from my Genos, SY-99, and other synth action keyboards?
If a local store had an SX900 I could go play one before I buy, but here in Tampa not one store stocks it.
Please help me understand how the FSB action differs.  (I do NOT like weighted keys.)

The FSB keyboard was introduced with SX900/700, and it is an improvement compared to the "Standard Organ" keyboard of previous models (e.g. S970). The high-quality FSX keyboard of the Genos/Tyros models is in a completely different category, i.e. it is significantly better than the FSB keyboard.

I recommend that you try out whether you can handle the FSB keyboard before buying. To be honest, I've always played FSX keyboards (Tyros4/5, Genos1/2) and wouldn't buy a model with FSB keyboard.

For the sake of completeness, it must be mentioned here that mechanical problems have occurred with some SX900/700 instruments: Various users have reported in the past that the keyboard "rattles" when playing normally. In most cases this is probably because the black keys bump against the white keys when playing. Unfortunately, according to user reports, the solution recommended by Yamaha in such cases of replacing the key grease with a special "thicker" one does not help permanently, but the problem returns after a while. :(

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 04:00:15 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline stevem

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 02:44:02 PM »
Hello, I've recently swapped my sx900 for a Genos2. The first thing I noticed (apart from the obvious size and light show) was the key 'feel' - the G2 responds so beautifully. I am an extreme beginner and completely unaware as to how a piano or keyboard should feel; I know I like the way this touches.
 The next thing I noticed was the buttons - sx900 has the horrible 'rubbery' buttons, the G2 has big chunky solid plastic buttons.
 I cannot link to this, however there is a YouTube clip that may be helpful: 'Yamaha SX900 or Second Hand Genos?' by Leigh Wilbraham.

Good luck with your choice
steve

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 03:24:47 PM »
Is not really that important, but I still wish to clarify..
...Various users have reported in the past that the keyboard "rattles" when playing normally. In most cases this is probably because the black keys beat against the white keys when playing. ...
No, rattling doesn't happen because black keys would bump against white keys -Yamaha has taken care preventing that to happen. However, now it's exactly that solution that causes rattling.
If you take a look on this video (pause at 7:16), then you can see that keys have left/right limiters (L-shape on the bottom of key) -this limiter goes into the slot on keybed baseplate. Yes, that way it's prevented the keys to bump into neighbor keys, however now key bumps inside the slot on keybed baseplate. And to dampen that rattle sound, Yamaha decided to put a small amount of grease into each slot. Obviously, over the time the grease is pushed out (as we play) and we hear rattling again.

I simply can't believe that some engineer decided for this solution... is embarrassing. Other than that, I quite like the feel of SX700/900 keybed (as long it's silent).
But there's no doubt that Genos keybed simply feels better.

Btw. I have no problem with rubber buttons on panel: they're reliable, give good feedback at pressing, they're are silent and impossible to break. Yes, Genos buttons look more fancy  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 04:09:13 PM »
Here is a video demonstrating the "Black Keys Noise" on an SX900 FSB keyboard. As I said, this problem obviously doesn't exist with all SX900/700s. Many users are very satisfied with their PSR-SX.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPr4iw8pzXs

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline stevem

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 06:12:12 PM »

Btw. I have no problem with rubber buttons on panel: they're reliable, give good feedback at pressing, they're are silent and impossible to break. Yes, Genos buttons look more fancy  :)

Bogdan

Just me - I've had to throw out two otherwise good devices (a camera and some binoculars), due to that rubbery gunk going all sticky and gooey. Ugh.
Not to say Yamaha buttons will ever do that, just my muscle memory flinches  ;)

S