Author Topic: About Displaying Voice Types  (Read 682 times)

Offline hechuan

About Displaying Voice Types
« on: April 30, 2024, 09:16:57 AM »
I want to know how to display voice types in the extended folder. I modified the MSB so that it can display MegaVoice on 8, but something like S How is Art displayed?

Offline overover

Re: About Displaying Voice Types
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:14:25 PM »
I want to know how to display voice types in the extended folder. I modified the MSB so that it can display MegaVoice on 8, but something like S How is Art displayed?

Hi hechuan,

Unfortunately I cannot understand the meaning of your request. It probably depends on the translation tool you use.

Apparently it's about the "Expansion" folder (in the Genos User drive), but I don't understand what exactly you want to do/achieve. Please describe it again in different words and in a little more detail.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline hechuan

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 04:25:41 PM »
I'm sorry that my description didn't make you understand. What I meant was how the installed Expansion voices display their voice types, such as S.Art

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 05:33:36 PM »
I'm sorry that my description didn't make you understand. What I meant was how the installed Expansion voices display their voice types, such as S.Art

Thanks for the clarification, hechuan!

I suspect that the Bank Select MSB value contained in the relevant Voice Set file is used to display the Voice Type (possibly in combination with the Bank Select LSB value). For example, as far as I know, S.Art and S.Art2 Voices always use MSB 8.

The file extension of the Voice Set file (e.g. ".sar" or ".sa2") is probably not important here, because the Voice should also work if you change the extension to ".vce", for example.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 05:50:50 PM »
Speaking of which, the MIDI definition of "Bank Select MSB" in the Data List offers a clue to Yamaha's conventions for voice numbering:

Bank Select MSB
  0  Normal
  0  S.Articulation voice
  8  Mega voice
  8  S.Articulation voice
  8  S.Articulation2 voice
 62  Custom Drum Voice
 63  Custom Voice
 64  SFX voice
104  Normal
104  S.Articulation voice
118  GS Rhythm
119  GS Normal
120  GM2 Rhythm
121  GM2 Normal
126  SFX kit
127  Drum kit

Yamaha had a tentative convention for XG voices, but they don't apply the numbering scheme to "panel voices" consistently.

Hope this helps -- pj
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 07:32:31 PM by pjd »

The following users thanked this post: BogdanH

Offline hechuan

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 11:43:19 AM »
Speaking of which, the MIDI definition of "Bank Select MSB" in the Data List offers a clue to Yamaha's conventions for voice numbering:

Bank Select MSB
  0  Normal
  0  S.Articulation voice
  8  Mega voice
  8  S.Articulation voice
  8  S.Articulation2 voice
 62  Custom Drum Voice
 63  Custom Voice
 64  SFX voice
104  Normal
104  S.Articulation voice
118  GS Rhythm
119  GS Normal
120  GM2 Rhythm
121  GM2 Normal
126  SFX kit
127  Drum kit

Yamaha had a tentative convention for XG voices, but they don't apply the numbering scheme to "panel voices" consistently.

Hope this helps -- pj

According to this list, I can only display the voice type as MegaVoice, not as S Art

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 06:12:09 PM »
OK, I recommend studying voice file names. The voice type displayed in a listing of folder contents depends upon the file name, not the MSB/LSB/PC. If it did depend on MSB/LSB/PC, then the OS would need to read the voice file itself and that is too much bother.  :)

Voice file names have (at least) two features which affect how the name and info is displayed: ICON and file extension. ICON is beyond explanation here. but it appears in a voice file name like "T228".

The file name extension controls the voice type which is displayed. "vce" is a regular voice, "sar" is a Super Articulation voice and "sa2" is a Super Articulation 2 voice.

A complete voice name appears like "KinoStrings.T250.sar" -- a Super Articulation voice with the icon selected by "T250".

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. If anyone needs information like this, they can usually find it on Jørgen's website: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 06:14:33 PM by pjd »

Offline hechuan

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 02:20:08 PM »
I understand what you mean, but what I am considering is that I cannot modify the extension of the voice file through YEM. Do you have any good suggestions

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 10:58:30 PM »
I understand what you mean, but what I am considering is that I cannot modify the extension of the voice file through YEM. Do you have any good suggestions

YEM is very limited that way. I think you will need to find a way to work around YEM and manually modify one or more of the files in the YEM pack database. YEM stores packs in the following directory:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Yamaha\Expansion Manager\Packs

where XXX is your user name.

Good luck! Please let us know what you discover -- pj

Offline hechuan

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 03:12:32 PM »
The data in packages usually uses a special format without a clear extension, but in. I can see this one in the index
{5b64713a-e5ab-4deb-b515-cc8a4ee471c2} RockKit uvf.drum.y.user 2024-05-06T01:39:29 2024-05-06T01:39:29 S362
Can you consider modifying the uvf.drum.y.user? I'm not sure if I'm right

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 07:18:44 PM »
The data in packages usually uses a special format without a clear extension, but in. I can see this one in the index
{5b64713a-e5ab-4deb-b515-cc8a4ee471c2} RockKit uvf.drum.y.user 2024-05-06T01:39:29 2024-05-06T01:39:29 S362
Can you consider modifying the uvf.drum.y.user? I'm not sure if I'm right

You can consider anything.  ;) But, you must accept responsibility if something goes wrong and the pack becomes unusable! Since this modification is outside the ordinary scenario, the risk is yours...

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I'm not Yamaha and Yamaha do not publicly document their software internals.

Good luck -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 07:21:35 PM »
BTW, if you want to rename a file in the Genos expansion folder -- without YEM -- try USB storage mode. Genos Reference manual, page 162.

USB storage mode treats the Genos internal bulk storage like a USB drive. You can rename files using a personal computer.

Hope this suggestion helps. It seems safer than modifying the YEM pack database.

Take care -- pj