Author Topic: Great new Genos2 demo  (Read 1363 times)

Offline ckobu

Great new Genos2 demo
« on: April 28, 2024, 09:01:55 AM »
There are many excellent demonstrators and I think Richard Vecchi is at the very top. This demo is definitely worth listening to on a quality system/headphones.
I hope that posting such links is not against the forum rules.

https://youtu.be/M0jWlqS9sek?si=fuJ6gY-MJyW7nuDZ
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: stevem

Offline KurtAgain

Re: Great new Genos2 demo
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 10:10:49 AM »
A great musician, no question. But I have to say that these demonstrations, played by top players, bore me a bit. Every top and mid-range keyboard from the last 20 years sounds fantastic when played by a top player. The real sensation would be if it sounded anywhere near as fantastic when I played it.

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 10:48:19 AM »
Hi

Although I did not watch more than 3 minutes of the video, I have to agree with Kurt. The player is obviously a great keyboardist but as a presenter, so did not come across well. It is not helped by the fact that I do not speak any other language but english. 

Bill
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 02:30:00 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 11:24:24 AM »
The real sensation would be if it sounded anywhere near as fantastic when I played it.

Nice one!

;D ;D ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 12:25:49 PM »
Great sounding video and the guy seems to have the music he is demoing memorized. But that country song he demoed wasn't a song, it was just him jamming.

These demonstration people never seem to ever learn to play a whole song for some reason, just a 30 second section of the tune. Plus they never ever demo the keyboard by them playing and singing using the VH in a song. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 12:31:24 PM by DrakeM »

Offline RayClem

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 01:58:51 PM »
The reason demos never use more than a few seconds of a song is that copyright laws require payment of royalties for public performance of any music still covered. Since copyright laws protect the composition for 70 years beyond the death of the composer, nearly anything from the 20th century until now is still under copyright protection. YouTube scans all videos for instances of copyright infringement.

You can play anything you want in the confines of your own home, but public performances (or online) are different.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 03:26:08 PM »
The reason demos never use more than a few seconds of a song is that copyright laws require payment of royalties for public performance of any music still covered. Since copyright laws protect the composition for 70 years beyond the death of the composer, nearly anything from the 20th century until now is still under copyright protection. YouTube scans all videos for instances of copyright infringement.

You can play anything you want in the confines of your own home, but public performances (or online) are different.

What you posted just ain't so at all.
I have post over 200 cover songs on YOUTUBE and every one of the Copyright Owners allows the video to be posted per YOUTUBE.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:28:21 PM by DrakeM »

Offline porterma

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 07:43:52 PM »
Super sounding demonstration, but as with many such "demos" the real value would be to have the camera focused on the keyboard showing the settings for styles, voices being played' multi pads used if any. etc. I could really get a lot from that information.
Why spend the 40 minutes just showing the back of the keyboard and the musician's upper body with his hands moving back and forth - nothing really changes for the whole video. It's not just the sound that is being produced that is of value, it is the "how" of that sound that is important.

Mark

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 08:53:10 PM »
I agree, it would be good if we could at least see the keyboard screen, to know what the demonstrator is using. It should be taken into account that it is a demonstration of some kind of shop for the sale of instruments. This is not an educational video showing the capabilities of the keyboard.
The demonstrator makes excellent use of all keyboard resources. The sound I hear on this video is very high quality and seems to me to have been post-processed.
Watch my video channel

Offline RayClem

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 09:51:44 PM »
The owner of a copyright can always allow use of an piece for performance, but they do not have to do so. They can send YouTube a legal notice requesting that the video be removed. YouTube calls this a Copyright Strike. This is the YouTube notice.

If you get a copyright strike, it means that a copyright owner submitted a legal copyright removal request for using their copyright-protected content. When a copyright removal request is submitted to us, we review it. If the removal request is valid, we have to remove your video from YouTube to comply with copyright law.

Offline Patrick

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2024, 10:12:48 PM »
Hi, I think he is playing over audio MP3 music; great sound of course! All the best Patrick  :)

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 11:46:01 PM »
Great sounding video and the guy seems to have the music he is demoing memorized. But that country song he demoed wasn't a song, it was just him jamming.

These demonstration people never seem to ever learn to play a whole song for some reason, just a 30 second section of the tune. Plus they never ever demo the keyboard by them playing and singing using the VH in a song.

Ahem *I* do.
Bohemian Rhapsody - Genos
Bohemian Rhapsody - CVP709
In the Air Tonight - Tyros4
Castle on the Hill - Genos
Careless Whisper - Genos

All of those featured live VH while I was playing. (With or without You didn't really have any parts that needed harmony, nor did "So Close", which I only sang because it was too inconvenient to bring a CVP to my sister in law's wedding.) Just click on the youtube link in my sig or my PSR performer's page.

;)
Mark

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 12:10:28 AM »
The owner of a copyright can always allow use of an piece for performance, but they do not have to do so. They can send YouTube a legal notice requesting that the video be removed. YouTube calls this a Copyright Strike. This is the YouTube notice.

If you get a copyright strike, it means that a copyright owner submitted a legal copyright removal request for using their copyright-protected content. When a copyright removal request is submitted to us, we review it. If the removal request is valid, we have to remove your video from YouTube to comply with copyright law.

Who has ever gotten a Copyright strike for a cover video on YOUTUBE? Answer: NOBODY

Except GARTH BROOKS used to but he realized what a stupid error it was and now allows his covers to appear on YOUTUBE.  Case closed my friend.

So let's see these experts really preform a FULL song once in awhile on YOUTUBE.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2024, 05:55:12 AM »
Arranger performances really don't get much better than this. He plays those instrument voices quite well.
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 09:09:07 AM »
I agree with p$mank32. Video title says "demo(nstration)" and he does exactly that -and he's doing it very well. That is, the video is not a tutorial and so seeing display content is not that important. Ok, it would answer the question if he's using normal styles or some backing tracks. Anyway, I think the focus is more on his playing, which demonstrates keyboard capability very well.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 12:43:33 PM »
All of those featured live VH while I was playing. (With or without You didn't really have any parts that needed harmony, nor did "So Close", which I only sang because it was too inconvenient to bring a CVP to my sister in law's wedding.) Just click on the youtube link in my sig or my PSR performer's page.
;)
Mark

Hi Mark
I have seen your channel and I watched your right hand as well. When you are singing it does not add to the style anything you can't have the style contain. I think it is called "comping", I use that hand to control the backup singers which does add to the performance.

Yamaha ADVERTISED the Genos when it first came out as a tool for song composers and had at least one video stating that usage. But I just would like to see and hear one of there experts perform using the whole machine and sing. Maybe it is not possible, I notice that when Vince Gill performs (as an example) Live with his guitar, a lot of the time he only CHORDS when he is singing. He does slip in a lick at the end of phrase.

Drake

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 02:43:43 PM »
Drake, Mark is a good player, and that is often what players do. They just play what they need in real time rather than have to spend pre preparation time on style editing or creation. It also means needing a lot less styles.
And when you add something to a style it becomes part of a repeating pattern. So it can be a bit mechanical sounding. When you play there is more freedom.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 05:16:00 PM »
Drake, Mark is a good player, and that is often what players do. They just play what they need in real time rather than have to spend pre preparation time on style editing or creation. It also means needing a lot less styles.
And when you add something to a style it becomes part of a repeating pattern. So it can be a bit mechanical sounding. When you play there is more freedom.
Mike

Exactly what comping is Mike, repeating the same thing over and over while singing. So just stick it in the style and concentrate on your singing performance. After all it is really the words of the song that the tune supports, right?
Drake

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2024, 09:15:52 PM »
Hi Mark
I have seen your channel and I watched your right hand as well. When you are singing it does not add to the style anything you can't have the style contain. I think it is called "comping", I use that hand to control the backup singers which does add to the performance.

Yamaha ADVERTISED the Genos when it first came out as a tool for song composers and had at least one video stating that usage. But I just would like to see and hear one of there experts perform using the whole machine and sing. Maybe it is not possible, I notice that when Vince Gill performs (as an example) Live with his guitar, a lot of the time he only CHORDS when he is singing. He does slip in a lick at the end of phrase.

Drake

Then I'm afraid you perhaps didn't really pay attention: the Bohemian Rhapsody ones; in some parts i use them to control the different types of harmony, in most of the song I'm playing the piano (and the bass guitar with my pinky) and I play the *entire* piano arrangement, not just chords. Additionally I also play the guitar solo and the post operatic double time guitar part. The opening is a slow choir sound so it's *just* copies of my voice from the vocal harmonizer that you're hearing. Literally wouldn't be the same without the VH. For the operatic part, I switch from duet, 4 part, and then 4 part with doublers to make it sound bigger in some sections, and for that part the actual song's piano part that I'm playing (while singing!) is what I feed into the VH control. It literally differs from verse to verse. None of it is comping, as I'm playing the actual piano arrangement as per the original song (I'd say I'm playing the same as the guitar, but I'm not. There I comp the signature falling scale in the 4th bar of the guitar solo because I still can't quite identify which notes those are supposed to be; Brian May plays pretty darn quickly, and I figure everything out by ear).

And for in the Air tonight, I'm playing the harmony live as I sing. If I let go of my right hand, there *is* no harmony (which is how I like to control). Only at the end do I use the left hand for chords and the right hand is free to do the guitar solo licks! I do the same for Ed Sheeran's Castle on the Hill; when I flick the vocal harmony on with the registration change, I also make sure to play the harmony vocal part on top of the chords since I'd programmed only a single vocal harmony for that part (no 2 or 3 part harmonies) the top note always became the vocal harmony note.

In the air tonight, it is literally different for each verse because Phil Collins changed the harmony interval for each subsequent verse. For Castle on the hill, the harmony line identical for the first 2 choruses because that's how the song went.

Incidentally for With or Without You and The Show Must Go on, there is no VH, in the latter case it was focusing on being able to switch between the correct backing played live (not from a style, but just simple 8th note chords) to the very tricky guitar solo parts, while still singing.

I literally *do* what you're complaining nobody does! The Polish(?) guy, Bartek Krzemiński, who demos the Ketrons does as well (he's amazing, and incredibly joyful). He also does what you think not enough demonstrators do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjp0Q7c2Boo

Incidentally, Drake, I agree, playing part of the song to showcase the style and then just comping on the same style because they didn't bother to learn the entire song feels lazy, but at the same time, sometimes the song is too long (My Pirates of the Caribbean demo is 7 minutes long! When demoing in the store I usually only perform 1 minute of it)

Peter Baartman's himself (RIP, sir) told me he was in awe of my ability to demo all the functions of the keyboard *while* singing, which he himself said he can't do (he didn't sing, although his actual piano skills were light years ahead of mine. I'm practicing to get even better, but I *always* want people to feel like they can do a version of what I do. Remember, he walked up to me past all the other staff, including (our company president !) the 2nd time he came out to visit us just to shake my hand and tell me that I was famous (among Yamaha global), and that he'd watched all my youtube videos (which at the time, there were only a few).

Oh and they (Yamaha) let me design the i/o and external features of the CVP309! (not the guts of course; that was already set in stone that they were going to use the Tyros 1 chipset and sound library). I designed the flip up lid with screen (very different from CVP's before that), insisted on USB A (they kept insisting on Smart Media cards and Floppys, both of which I insisted were dead), wooden keys and 3d Soundfield speakers like that had on the CLP170 (basically rear facing reflection speakers), and the lower profile cabinet that I sketched for the head of R&D of Yamaha Japan.

I'm a *very* oddball combination of musician, singer (both my parents were recording artists in Hong Kong) but with civil engineering and comp sci degrees!

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2024, 10:11:38 PM »
Drake, accompanying singers was what I did for a large part of my musical life, so I certainly know what comping is. It’s just short for accompaniment, and accompaniment can be as simple or innovative and brilliant as the musicians talent and knowledge allows.
Another factor is that no keyboard player/performer I ever met would want to sit ‘not playing’, while the machine plays, the optics are not good.
Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2024, 10:23:10 PM »

Another factor is that no keyboard player/performer I ever met would want to sit ‘not playing’, while the machine plays, the optics are not good.
Mike

*This*. So much, *THIS*

The first time I watched (and adjucated) our students performing their pieces at Yamaha Clav fest (same as Electone Fest in Asia), I watched some students (some as young as 8) just blow me away because their teacher understood the assignment; registration changes appropriate to each part of a song, no *dead* spots where the student would hit an intro button in the middle of a song, and just cross his arms and wait for the intro to play

Because there *were* students I saw do that, and I shook my head. There were some teachers who were brilliant programmers, but had their student play on top a a midi (which I've refused to do myself), but I can respect it if the student has something to play the entire time; even a couple of times there was nothing for the student to do but drum along with a guitar solo, and at least the kid was doing *something*.

You're right, the optics are terrible when they're just sitting there with their arms crossed.

I watched a girl on youtube play Electone on top of a midi track *but* she also played every note herself, switching sounds constantly with registrations; the backing was more so she didn't have to worry about fills and no chord parts, and to pad the sound (e.g. she'd play brass chords on the left hand, but the backing midi would play a different brass and strings,but of the same notes).

She was still impressive as ****; in fact her Back to the Future (which only used the backing midi for the drums, nothing else) was better than mine. I was absolutely floored.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2024, 04:26:21 AM »
Mark, this ability to just sit back and let the machine provide sound, is something that has come along with these automatic keyboards. And IMHO one of the main reasons they take so much criticism. Those optics just look so bad.
Whatever is being accompanied, vocals, other instruments or even a track, the job of the keyboard player is to provide notes, phrases, harmonies, that complement it in real time. Add to the total without distracting from the lead. So much so that the term comping works equally well as shorthand for ‘complementing’ as well as accompanying.
Mike

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 12:08:36 AM »
Dear Casper,

thank you for sharing this excellent video.

I didn't know about Richard vecchi, and I'm so impressed by his magnificent performance.

These top level performances are very interesting as one can learn something from each song played. His style is an example of modern and wide approach to the way to play an arranger.

Thanks again.

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Patrick

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 05:16:12 AM »

Hi an other demo, of this great performer on the genos 2 in France, some nice moments again, all the best Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L1usOBMCfA

The following users thanked this post: bpsafran