Author Topic: How to get certain Expansion Packs for Genos  (Read 365 times)

Offline ajk_24

How to get certain Expansion Packs for Genos
« on: April 27, 2024, 11:25:16 AM »
Hi,

I currently have a PSR - S950 and was considering switching to a Genos 1.
On my PSR, I have a Church Organ pack and some Indian packs too, but after doing some research and emailing Yamaha support, I realised that my existing packs cannot be used on the Genos.
So I looked at Yamaha's expansion packs page and saw the packs I wanted (Church Organ, Indian 2, Indian Devotional, and Indian Entertainer), but none of these packs I've listed are available for the Genos, however they are available for keyboards like the SX900, S970 and S975 etc...

Is there any way I can get these packs for Genos?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: How to get certain Expansion Packs for Genos
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 01:21:13 PM »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 01:24:44 PM »
Hello ajk,

Welcome to the forum! This is the best place for information about your keyboard.

No way, sorry to tell you.

You might be able to revoice the styles and then use them in a Genos keyboard. But the voices in the packs can not be transfered to any other keyboard.

Stick with the SX900 unless you are wanting the 76 keyboard of the Genos. If that is the case, you will have to decide which is more important.

The problem with revoicing the styles to work in a Genos will most likely be that the packs contain NEW drum kits NEW and Mega voices. Those will not be available on the Genos keyboard. You can test what the styles will sound like on a Genos by copying a bunch of the styles to your user area and then Uninstall the packs. Then see if you can find a replacement voice on your keyboard to make the style work on your keyboard to your satisfaction. If you can, then you will know they will for sure work on the Genos keyboard as well. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 01:32:31 PM by DrakeM »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 01:58:09 PM »
I got to thinking more about your situation.

You could use both keyboards. They make racks to use 2 keyboards at the same time.

You could play the S950 with your left hand to play the styles and your right hand could then play the Genos keyboard. However the Genos would still not contain any add on voices that the packs would contain. But you could then play S950 when needed in those cases.

Offline ajk_24

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 06:06:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I saw this post: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,60786.msg467369.html#msg467369 where a S970 version of the Church Organ pack that could work on the Genos was linked. That link is not valid now.

Is it possible someone could send a link to packs that could possibly work on Genos, more specifically Church Organ, Indian 2, Indian Devotional, and Indian Entertainer?

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 07:20:39 PM »
Here are the 5 Church Organ styles which have been revoiced to work with the S950 using standard on board Voices.

https://app.box.com/s/h8pspreozrww9k44l3nx7cmjemo9790i

Offline ajk_24

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 07:50:29 PM »
Thanks for the link @DrakeM, but I meant packs for the Genos, not PSR - S950. Sorry for not explaining clearly.

Also, does anyone know how I could possibly simulate a Genos being connected to Yamaha Expansion Manager so I can confirm that the packs work on YEM?

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 08:02:42 PM »
On Onacimus' Conversions page found here:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/onacimus.html

He has assembled one huge download. The styles are from the Indian2, IndianDevotional, and Indian Entertainer Expansion packs for the PSR-S970. Additional styles are from the S950 Bonus styles of Indian2, S750 Pack and Bonus styles of Indian2, S650 pack and Bonus styles on Indian2 and some preset styles from S710 & S550.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/styles/os_Styles/S970/Indian/YAMAHA%20Indian%20Styles%20for%20S970.zip

Of course some drum kits are missing and you will need to reassign a drum kit that your keyboard has. Generally to my ears the Indian kit, Turkish kit or the Arabic kit will work as a good substitute.

For any missing musical instrument there are endless choices you can select. 

These styles work just fine on my S950 keyboard after filling in the missing parts. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 08:04:08 PM by DrakeM »