Author Topic: Korg PA5X v PSR SX900: initial impression  (Read 576 times)

Offline Jeff_M

Korg PA5X v PSR SX900: initial impression
« on: April 26, 2024, 02:13:09 PM »
OK, took delivery of the Korg Thursday and thought I'd offer up a few initial observations...

When I first got my SX900 it was an upgrade from an S950.  The OS was somewhat different from the S950 which I was not expecting and turned out to be somewhat of a challenge.  Sweetwater, where I bought it, offers a 30-day return policy with no questions asked.  I almost sent it back, but in hindsight am very glad I kept it as it's turned out to be a great keyboard.

At the present I'm in the same place with the Korg.  The much-touted keybed is as promised, very nice indeed.  The touch screen is much more readable than the SX900.  "Build quality" seems very nice.  The keyboard has a nice look and feel to it.  Now, this unit was a demo, and as such didn't have the latest software upgrade, which I performed.  Sooooo, the OS is certainly different but I believe "learnable" for this player at least...but it's akin to having to learn a different language.  I grope around trying to do the simplest things.  The voices are on a par with the Yamaha, some better, some not.  Love the drawbar organ, piano, electric piano.
Strings are great.  Horns, about the same.  Sax is not as good, along with the vocals.  The styles are, well, disappointing as of right now.  The amount of song/style editing appears to be almost unlimited, so I just have some learning to do.  Song/style storage is pretty straightforward. 

At any rate, I have 28 days (and counting) to make up my mind, so I'll just have to see how this shakes out.  I already have an eager buyer for the Yamaha, but as I don't have the original packaging, shipping could be a challenge. 

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, pjd, johan

Offline RayClem

Re: Korg PA5X v PSR SX900: initial impression
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 03:05:42 PM »
Every keyboard manufacturer has its own user interface. Higher level keyboards such as the SX900, Genos, Genos2, MODX, Montage M, PA5X are going to take far more than 30 days to traverse the learning curve. I have had Yamaha keyboards since the mid 1980s when I purchase a PSR-12. I later had the PSR- 510, the DGX505 piano and now the Genos2. Each of the keyboards became progressively more complex, but the underlying Yamaha UI design was similar. You could have easily migrated from the SX900 to the Genos2, but the SX900 already has many of the capabilities of the Genos2.

Every keyboard has its own advantages and disadvantages. The Genos2 is not perfect and I am sure the PA5X is not perfect. However, I would suggest that you commit yourself to learning that keyboard, just as you did with the SX900. Because the Korg is significantly different than the SX900, there will be a steep learning curve, but you will have two great keyboards with different capabilities that will reinforce one another.

Don't give up after 30 days unless you find a "fatal flaw" in the Korg operating system. Watch every video you can on the PA5X and spend as much time playing as you can until you feel comfortable with it.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff_M

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 04:51:05 PM »
Korg Pa5x & SX900 both are good boards but if you compare the KORG Key-Bed & General Construction you see they are both at different quality levels.
Staying with the Pa5X and you will realise in a few months that you made the right decision.
DGX670

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 04:58:38 PM »
I've had my Pa5X about 5 months now, and I'm only just starting to really understand it.
Read, and absorb the manual as you go is my best advice to you. If you try to skimp on the manual it will take you much longer to fathom stuff out.
It's a VERY different learning curve.
But WOW it's a fabulous keyboard!

Keith
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 06:57:30 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 05:38:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the comparison between both instruments. Woody Piano Shack made a PA5X quick start video recently:  https://youtu.be/JWHYKq1A4FY?si=ftsoubg4-la_xHqV
In the video I can see some of the similarities and differences the PA5X has with the Yamaha.

I would love to hear what you decide in 28 days.

Rich
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:03:38 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 01:22:53 AM »
I would love to hear what you decide in 28 days.

Rich

I will dutifully report back. 

Offline Totomo

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 05:01:48 AM »
Been own a Pa700 less than 6 months then sell it.  Because she has no registration bank like SX900 and my oldies KN1000.   But the string on korg Pa700 sound better than SX900.