Author Topic: Anyone tried to use Genos speakers on the SX-700/900 ?  (Read 1533 times)

Stevengale

Anyone tried to use Genos speakers on the SX-700/900 ?
« on: January 03, 2023, 08:05:19 AM »
I had a Genos for a little while... had to sell it but kept the GNS-MS01 speakers.  The Genos speakers use a supposedly proprietary 8 pin connector and I wouldn't know how to split the wires correctly on that funny cable to get it to work with the ¼" mains on the SX-900 (or 700 since they are identical in that respect).

Anyone else happen to have tried this?

To make life easier I bought some small used Yamaha powered speakers to try give the SX900 sound a little more depth, and that it does, but I'm still not getting those tinsel highs I like to hear from good sound systems and the Genos speakers I think did that. So my goal here is to try to use what i have to get the sound I want... make sense? 

thanks

Offline mixermixer

Re: Anyone tried to use Genos speakers on the SX-700/900 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 07:16:59 PM »
Is this for home use? Get a pair of studio monitors, I use JBL LSR305's with a small powered sub. If this is for live gigs, you'd probably be using a stage monitor already. IMO not worth the time futzing with proprietary cables, put it up for sale if you haven't modified it.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 11:56:47 PM »
Try adjusting your EQ settings.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 12:23:58 AM »
Hi, gather they’re fairly expensive speakers? If so would it be worth trying to find someone to change the wiring for you?
I recently purchased a pair of JBL lsr305’s.  ( same as mixer mixer ) they sound great .
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 10:11:46 AM »
The only documentation I could find is Genos Service Manual on Youtube, which isn't of high quality (one would need actual pdf file) and I found nothing about Genos speakers. Anyway, from what I can see on Genos diagram, I think it shouldn't be a problem to convert Genos speaker set into "universal" speaker system.
To do that, new connectors must be built on subwoofer:
-2 connectors for L&R input (this would be connected to PSR L&R output)
-2 connectors for L&R output (for sattelite speakers)
Having that, wires from 8-pin connector (on subwoofer) must then be soldered to new connectors and  that's it. The only mystery that remains is Mute signal (pin3 on 8-pin connector). The question here is: if no mute signal (=not connected), does that mean speaker is in Mute Off state? Without documentation, there's only one way to find out: to try.

Bogdan
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:13:12 AM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 01:46:52 PM »
What is wrong with the speakers on your SX900. They have plenty of poke in them and will sound to front as wall as back. I have used mine for small gatherings and they have sounded fine.
  I would not try to mess about using Genos Speakers as you could do more damage than its worth.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 03:25:09 PM »
Guessing that the speaker circuit of the Genos is similar to that of the Tyros series, I took a look at the Tyros4 service documentation. The TRS-MS04 speaker set has the power amplification within the woofer. The multi-pin connection sends left and right audio from the keyboard to the woofer as well as the mute logic signal. The multi-pin connection also sends the power amplified signal back to the keyboard to connect to the right speaker output jack. From the woofer there is a separate cable that carries the left speaker power amplified signal back to the keyboard which then goes to the left speaker output jack. I'm assuming the Genos might be similar.
The woofer would need left and right input jacks and left and right output jacks for the speakers installed and connected internally to respective in and outs of the woofers power amplifier. The mute circuit would need to be modified so as to enable the woofer output permanently on. Whoever would undertake this modification would need the service documentation for the GNS-MS01 speakers, so it likely would need to be done by a Yamaha authorized repair shop or someone that has access to the service docs. If said shop agreed to attempt the modification I'm guessing it will not be cheap. The modification would likely kill any resale value of the speakers.
Best suggestion is to sell the GNS-MS01 speakers and put the money towards a pair of LSR-305's (I have a pair as well). JBL also has a sub-woofer that can pair up to the 305's ($$$).

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 03:29:22 PM »
My reaction was: Swap the PSR for a new Genos!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 05:55:20 PM »
Hi all,

Please note: The wiring of the Genos 8-pin output terminal and the GNS-MS01 subwoofer's 8-pin input terminal differs from the wiring of the Tyros TRS-MS systems. With the Genos, everything runs via the 8-pin cable, so there is no additional cable for the return path of the left satellite speaker. In order to switch on the amplifier in the subwoofer, the mute logic pin must be grounded via a defined resistance. I used to retrofit a TRS-MS02 (from Tyros2) with RCA (Cinch) inputs. It also works here if the mute logic pin is grounded directly (i.e. without connecting a resistor in between). With the Genos, however, I would follow the circuit in the Service Manual exactly. (I haven't looked into this yet, however, since the said resistor is probably not on the circuit board on which the 8-pin terminal is located.)

@Stevengale
You should only make such a modification of the GNS-MS01 speaker system if you are experienced in electronics (e.g. reading circuit diagrams and soldering connectors/cables) or know such an expert. On request I can send you the wiring of the Genos 8-pin terminal. If necessary, please write me a PM (Personal Message) here in the forum.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:58:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »
My reaction was: Swap the PSR for a new Genos!😀
hahaha...yeah, but for the price difference, one really need better reasons (than speakers) to justify that decision  :D

@MarkF
Yes, Tyros has similar solution (but not equal connection). Of course it makes no sense to ask Yamaha service for such modification. But I think, this can be done easily by anyone with soldering iron and proper knowledge. Actually, if done smart (wires only bridged between 8-pin and new connectors), then GNS-MS01 could still be used on Genos by using 8-pin connection, or as "universal" 2.1 speaker system -just thinking aloud here.
I don't know how much money one can get for used GNS-MS01... I mean, one can get a pair of decent studio monitors for 200-300€, which in my opinion, is much better solution than GNS-MS01. And so, if GNS-MS01 could be sold for (say) 150€, then I would just sell it.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline CPAC

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 04:06:32 AM »
How do the SX900 speakers compare to the Genos GNS-MS01 speaker system?  I'm not talking about the better voices in the Genos but only the actual speaker systems.  Are the SX900 built-in speakers nearly as good in your opinion??

Thank you.