Author Topic: VOICE not loud enough  (Read 336 times)

Offline Linos4

VOICE not loud enough
« on: April 24, 2024, 07:23:50 AM »
I m playing on my sx900 with 1 splitpoint on D2. So R1, R2 and R3 are the same area. Left of the splitpoint i play de chords. When i uses Some styles the VOICE playing the melody is barely audible. What Can i do?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:30:31 AM by Linos4 »

Offline Divemaster

Re: VOICE not loud enough
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 07:32:53 AM »
Hi Linos

You need to press your
MIXER /EQ button, and then adjust the individual settings to achieve the volumes you need.
It takes a little getting used to so Refer to your Owners Manual for full instructions.

Keith

« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:33:54 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 08:51:16 AM »
Sometimes it is more effective to lower the style
volume than to increase the melody voices.

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 10:19:33 AM »
This is SO common, I've come across it so many times with my students over many years!

1) reduce the style volume
2) set the initial touch response to something lighter than 'Normal', try Soft 1 or Soft 2
3) play a little more firmly with the right hand
4) play a little less firmly with the left hand - OR - turn off the initial touch for Style and Left and set the balance as required
5) adjust the volumes or R1,2 and 3 as required to get the balance you need

Remember that all of this can be stored in Registration Memory. Start using that, it's your best friend! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 12:52:30 PM »
In the past, I have tried all these fixes in reverse on my mother-in-law, but she's still as loud as ever! ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:55:29 PM by tyrosrick »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 02:07:35 PM »
I m playing on my sx900 with 1 splitpoint on D2. So R1, R2 and R3 are the same area. Left of the splitpoint i play de chords. When i uses Some styles the VOICE playing the melody is barely audible. What Can i do?

Thanks

Hi Linos4,

Please note that you can also make (most) voices louder in "Voice Edit". You can use this, for example, if the volume of a keyboard voice in the Mixer is already at 127 and you still want this voice to be a little louder:

Make sure that the relevant keyboard part (e.g. Right 1) is selected. On the Voice Selection display, touch the "Menu" icon and then "Voice Edit" to call up the Voice Edit display. There you can use the "Volume" slider to increase the volume.

Alternatively (or additionally), you could use the "Touch Sensitivity" sliders ("Depth" and "Offset") to make the voice reach a higher volume with the same playing strength.

You can either save the changed voice here as a User Voice with "Save" (and then use THAT voice instead of the relevant Preset voice), or you can simply save the changed settings in a Registration.

If desired, you could also memorize the changed keyboard voice settings (Right 1 - 3 and Left together) to an OTS button. To do this, press the “Memory” button and then the desired OTS button. The STYLE in question must then be re-saved (in the User drive or on the USB stick).

See also the attached screenshot. Please also refer to the section "Editing Voices (Voice Edit)" in the SX900 Reference Manual, starting on page 46. If you don't have the Reference Manual yet, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html

In this context, note that User Voices can only be used in Keyboard parts (Right 1 - 3, Left), i.e. not in Style parts, MIDI files or Multi Pads.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:11:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)