Author Topic: Should I consider a used SX700? - Update  (Read 675 times)

Offline Andyfr

Should I consider a used SX700? - Update
« on: April 21, 2024, 06:01:56 PM »
There is a 2 year old SX700 for sale, he says it has only been used a handful of times and is in perfect condition, boxed with all accessories. As it is over 400 pounds cheaper than a new one it's very tempting. Is it worth the risk?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:54:47 PM by Andyfr »
Andyfr

Offline BogdanH

Re: Should I consider a used SX700?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 06:56:36 PM »
hello Andy,
As SX700 owner I can definitely say that it's worth.. without a risk  :)
Of course there are better keyboards, but I think that SX700 gives the most bang for the buck and can be recommended not only for beginners. I also think that asked price is fair.
But you should be aware about limitations of SX700. For example, if you plan to sing while you play keyboard, then SX900 could maybe be better option (because of Vocal Harmony which SX700 doesn't have). If you haven't already, I recommend that you compare specifications in Owner's manual.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Andyfr

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 07:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bogdan,

I'm already sure that the SX700 would be fine for my needs as I will just be using it at home. My only concern is buying one without a warranty.
Andyfr

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 08:34:15 PM »
I can't remember that anyone would mention having problems with SX700 after warranty expiration -I have mine for about 4+ years.
To be fair, I need to mention something you probably heard about and that's keybed.. The thing is, after a year or so, keys become quite loud (rattling keys) and there's not much one can do about. Even if keyboard still has warranty, Yamaha can't solve that permanently (it's just the way keybed is made).
Other than that, I'm happy with my SX700.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Andyfr

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 09:50:12 PM »
I own 2x SX700's
They are very good keyboards, and I can't see myself selling them.
I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the warranty. So long as it's been well looked after, you will be more than happy, and you'll own a very nice keyboard.

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Andyfr

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 08:11:58 AM »
Thanks Keith

Away on holiday at the moment so will have to see if it's still available when we get back.
Andyfr

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Lacko

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 08:23:30 AM »
There is a 2 year old SX700 for sale, he says it has only been used a handful of times and is in perfect condition, boxed with all accessories. As it is over 400 pounds cheaper than a new one it's very tempting. Is it worth the risk?
Buying second hand is always some risk. But if the keyboard is after 2 years still boxed with all accessories, his owner probably cared well for it. Check visually for any kind of wear (scratches and so) to see if „handful of times using“ was at his home or on the beach. This is just about the owner and his seriousness. But in any case this SX700 may be in good condition - even regardless of some scratches.

Lacko

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 07:37:56 PM »
I'd actually recommend you phone around just to see what repair costs are to see if the saving is worth the lack of warranty;

20-25 years ago, replacing the key sensors on a clavinova or psr was in the $50 ballpark for labour, regardless of brand.

Without pointing fingers at specific brands, depending on the difficulty of "getting inside" to the rubber double or triple sensors? I've seen labour anywhere from $150 to $1500. No that's not a typo; some brands labour has gone up approximately 30x. (the parts have gone up as well, but some have barely gone up in price, some parts have skyrocketed) Your local situation is going to be different unless you live in Vancouver, but I'd find the closest local repair shop and call them for ballpark repairs.

What can go wrong? Snapping the adapter input (which is soldered in) which actually shatters the pcb is expensive (20 years ago was about a $250 repair including labour and parts, last one I saw was $750), motherboard dying (P&L used to be about $900, now closer to $1500, which is almost the cost of a PSRsx700), blown speakers (<$100 20 years ago, but now still only about $150), dead screen ($500 20 years ago, about $900 now)

Again, that's Vancouver. 20 years ago you could purchase a house for about $350k, now you'd pay that much for a parking spot. Average house in Vancouver was $1.5m in 2023 (down from the peak of 1.75m in 2016 & 2017). IN 2003 average price of a house was just under $400k.

That's if you only include Vancouver, Vancouver in your calculations. Once you include all the regions of the Greater Vancouver regional district (incl Richmond where I live) the increase staggering: 2003 average price across GVRD was $90k for a home (ie condo, townhouse, house). In 2023 that'it's now over $1.2m (yes that's including suburbs now), and average price of a *house* across GVRD is now $2m. (yes the districts outlying Vancouver have gone up even more than Vancouver itself).

The point? Non warranty repair costs have skyrocketed here, but then so has everything else.
Find out if the amount you're saving is worth the lack of warranty.

Yes Yamaha has the best warranties in the business. But all brands, all instruments, can fail (and from decades of personal experience, some specific instrument models fail more often than others, but nobody is immune).

Mark

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 09:40:58 PM »

Isn't it a little too tempting? Can you see and check it before you buy?

Offline Andyfr

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 06:40:28 AM »
If it's still available I will do as it's not far from where I live. I'm away on holiday until the weekend so I'll get in touch when I get back.
Andyfr

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 07:10:22 AM »
Buying second hand is always some risk. But if the keyboard is after 2 years still boxed with all accessories, his owner probably cared well for it. Check visually for any kind of wear (scratches and so) to see if „handful of times using“ was at his home or on the beach. This is just about the owner and his seriousness. But in any case this SX700 may be in good condition - even regardless of some scratches.

Lacko

I agree entirely...... The final decision is Andys.

Of course, condition is key, and I would certainly want to both examine it and play it before parting with any money. And I'd also NEVER trust a courier service to deliver a keyboard. Go and collect it!
But let's be realistic guys.
People DO sell keyboards, and for all sorts of reasons.
Maybe the seller bought it, and just can't play it, so has given up,, probably accounts for half of musical instruments generally, in which case it will probably have had very little use at all.

There's always people who buy stuff and then wish they hadn't, so just want to try and get some of their money back. Nothing wrong with that. We've all done it. I bought an E473 a while back... Really just couldn't get on with it. So back in the box and sold on It was just like new.

If it needs repairs , you don't buy it... Simple.
But why would it if it's been well looked after?
It's HIGHLY unlikely anyone would gig with an SX700. There are much more powerful keyboards.

Most of us, I'm sure, look after our keyboards. We don't pound, bash or hammer away at them. We play them quite normally to make music.

Just use common sense. Like you would with everything in life.

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 07:22:28 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Andyfr

Re: Should I consider a used SX700? - Update
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 12:31:54 PM »
Went to see it and it's in mint condition, no marks at all and plays as it should on initial try, so it's now at home with me along with a mint boxed KS-SW100 subwoofer. I hadn't intended to get the sub as well but it was too tempting.

Did the deal at £650 for the SX700 and £35 for the sub. I don't think that was too bad at all.

Going to be spending some time looking through the manual.
Andyfr

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 12:42:26 PM »
Welcome to the world of the SX700 Andy.  :)
You've got yourself a very nice deal there, and I hope you get great enjoyment from playing it.

Great news.
Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Lacko

Re: Should I consider a used SX700? - Update
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 07:13:46 PM »
Congratulations Andyfr. Good deal.

Lacko