Author Topic: Yamaha Keyboard Reliability- Excellent  (Read 424 times)

Offline RayClem

Yamaha Keyboard Reliability- Excellent
« on: April 20, 2024, 06:52:47 PM »
I have been a fan of Yamaha keyboards for many years. The first one I purchased was the PSR-12 arranger keyboard I got for my daughter back in 1987. It is one of Yamaha's earliest PSR keyboards. It is based on the same YM3812 FM synth chip that was used in computer sound cards like the SoundBlaster. It is mono-only and does not feature MIDI.

While going through stuff in the basement to discard for spring clean-up, I found the old keyboard, how having 35 years of grime. I removed the old D-cell batteries and replaced them with fresh batteries. The keyboard still powers up and plays like it always did. That is a great testament to Yamaha reliability.  :)

Since that first purchase, I have added A PSR-510, DGX-505, and most recently the Genos2. While the newer keyboards have far more features, they have a lot in common with the early PSR-12. The family resemblance is undeniable.

I won't be alive 35 years from now to see if the Genos2 is still playable, but I hope it will still be making music far into the future, even after I am gone.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:19:36 PM by RayClem »

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Re: Yamaha Keyboard Reliability- Excellent
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 01:18:24 PM »
I have been a fan of Yamaha keyboards for many years. The first one I purchased was the PSR-12 arranger keyboard I got for my daughter back in 1987. It is one of Yamaha's earliest PSR keyboards. It is based on the same YM3812 FM synth chip that was used in computer sound cards like the SoundBlaster. It is mono-only and does not feature MIDI.

While going through stuff in the basement to discard for spring clean-up, I found the old keyboard, how having 35 years of grime. I removed the old D-cell batteries and replaced them with fresh batteries. The keyboard still powers up and plays like it always did. That is a great testament to Yamaha reliability.  :)

Since that first purchase, I have added A PSR-510, DGX-505, and most recently the Genos2. While the newer keyboards have far more features, they have a lot in common with the early PSR-12. The family resemblance is undeniable.

I won't be alive 35 years from now to see if the Genos2 is still playable, but I hope it will still be making music far into the future, even after I am gone.
I absolutely agree. 👍 that definitely proves Yamaha really made their products last. Also using the old school term (they don’t make them like they used to) meaning things made modern days started having issues while things made many years ago still work perfectly.😉

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 09:17:22 PM »
Reliability of all the Japanese makes of home organs, and then keyboards, has been legendary since Yamaha made their first home organ in 1959, and Kawai in 1961. Panasonic/Technics were the third of the 'big three', but there were other players in the market like JVC. I used to unbox brand new models on stage years ago - you had to be confident in them to do that!

I've used Yamaha keyboards for teaching and performance since 2000. Many have come and gone, currently I have a PSR-E443 (going to a grandchild at some point), a PSR-S970 and a Genos 1. Not one has ever given a moment's trouble, and the teaching ones had a hard life! And I've had many students with older models, some still have them!

The only things I've physically worn out have been pedals, an FC-5 and and FC-7 and only then after some years of tough use.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 09:47:35 AM »
I'm surprised that 35 year old batteries hadn't completely leaked and corroded the compartment. Those batteries must have been Yamaha approved as well!

Offline RayClem

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 12:17:37 PM »
The batteries were not 35 years old, but they were well past their use by date. They did have some leakage. I was able to remove them and install new D cell batteries. The keyboard plays with the new batteries and  with a 12 Volt power supply.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 07:11:57 PM »
I have a PSR-47 that is 34 years old, and still works like a wonder. Many cool sounds, and the best demo song ever.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page