PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-E Series

Adding a Monitor to psr E425 for live performance

(1/3) > >>

Zundap:
Hi everyone. I play my E425 in the company of 2 singers ( one of which also plays a 12 string ). When the 2 lads are singing/playing I find it hard to hear my keyboard. I could boost the keyboard volume but then I overshadow the singers/guitar. Ideally I'd like a monitor facing toward me so I can hear myself play and at the same time hear what the other 2 lads are singing/playing. I get the sense the built in speakers of E425 are naturally pushing sound out to the audience so some small speaker/amp facing back at me is what might be a solution. Has anyone any ideas on this ? I'm a novice in the world of PA/Amps/monitors and therefore would welcome any suggestions. Thank you as Always. Kev

Lefty:
Hi Kev,

I use In Ear Monitors (IEM).  They reduce stage volume by over 20db, and let me set the volume of my guitar and vocals myself for my IEM.  They aren't inexpensive, but protect your hearing, as well as allowing you to control what you hear.  Monitors add to stage volume, and affect other band members.  Unless you have a sound man, they also make it difficult for band member running the mixer.

Craig

Zundap:
Thank you Craig. I hadn't thought of them. I will check them out.
Kev

pjd:
Hi Kev --

Naturally, you have some idea about the amount of volume needed, size, weight, cost, etc. Plus, will you ever want the ability to send sound out to an audience. In that case, what size room?

When I need just a little sound to my own ears (in a semi-acoustic situation with the church PA), I use either a BOSE Soundlink Color II or a Yamaha Stagepas 100BTR. Both are battery-powered. Both are pretty clean at low to moderate volume. Neither one has enough output for a hall or big room.

The Soundlink is ultra small, light and inexpensive. I usually have it right next to me and it's just enough to hear myself above acoustic piano, guitar and drums. The church PA does the real work in the hall. Due to my playing position and acoustics, I don't get much sound from the hall itself, so I need a little more "me".

Hope these idea help -- pj

Zundap:
Thanks PJ. As we are only beginners keeping cost within reason is a good point. A little more "me" is what I need just for the moment.The 2 lads were miked up last night. The 12 string was also through a Laney 80w. (Along with the Mike's.) Not ideal. I just relied on the E425 speakers. It wasn't a paid gig but one likes to be the best they can at all performances. Alas at times I couldn't hear myself over the 2 lads, hence the need of a monitor. I'll check your own and Craig's suggestions and as always Thank you for taking the time to send me some suggestions. Kev

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version