Genos (12 Boards) > Genos - General

Help wanted in Southwest Florida

(1/5) > >>

donmac875:
Hi everyone. I’m a fairly new member of the forum, a resident of sunny Florida on the southwest corner, somewhat close to the hurricane wrecked area of Sanibel Island and Ft Myers Beach. I would be in the running for the winner of a contest to determine the oldest active member of the forum; if the Lord leaves me here on earth another couple of months I’ll be just 6 years from having lived to be 100. Seeking to keep my mind active and learning new things is a joy but more and more challenging as age creeps on.

Compared to so many of you I am new at this musical arranger game and seeking assistance in some of what I would call the details of the inner workings of the Genos. I am not satisfied with the sounds produced from many of the styles I’m using and would like to learn to alter some to my liking and to create new ones.

I would also appreciate assistance in the tuning of settings in the Mixer, vocal sounds, how to effectively use Pads etc. I have read through the User Manual a half dozen times, printed out and read through the Reference Manual, read the entire PSRTutorial, watched videos on the subjects of “compression”, “EQ”, etc. but I am left with a jumble of settings that are meaningless because with my oftentimes senseless tinkling I’ve ruined something that now requires a reset to factory settings to be useful at all.

I also have a very high pitched squeal coming from the left speaker which I also hear in my headphones. I believe I have isolated it to Strings and Organ voices but I have no inclination as to how to proceed.

This, my first post, is made with great hope that some member of the forum resides somewhat close to where I am and would be willing to give personal assistance. I am certainly willing to respond with financial compensation. Suggestions, recommendations, or criticism are welcome as learning opportunities.

In my short time here I am amazed at the experience and knowledge displayed by many.

Off topic… In reading through many pages of comments on this forum I do not recall any mention of a gathering, convention, or similar event ever being held to bring members together for the benefit of all. Is that due to lack of interest, leadership, opportunity or none of the above?

My best to each of you.

DonMac

Divemaster:
Hi Donmac

Just read and admired your post.
Although I'm not in the USA I think it's mostly because membership is worldwide that we don't have meetings as such, but in the past I have helped members in the UK and Ireland.
Let's hope somebody picks up on your request, and can help you out.
Welcome to you
Keith.

EileenL:
There are quite a few meetings in the UK but we are a much smaller country and most can travel to theses meetings if they want to. I used to run a yearly meeting for my forum members every year and always had a Yamaha tech chap there to help out with any problems. Unfortunately age took over and people could no longer travel.
  I hope you can find some one close who can give you hands on help.
As for EQ and compressor settings I found the Yamaha ones to be OK for most things.

donmac875:
Divemaster and Eileen. Thank you for your welcome and kind response.

Don

Lee Batchelor:
Hi donmac and welcome aboard!

Most people who take the plunge into a Genos as their first arranger are overwhelmed by the complexity and opportunities to make music. The good news is, you can use the most basic functions and still sound like a pro.

We are a scattered bunch of users, which means getting together at a certain location is next to impossible. All is not lost though. If you want personal instruction, it would be fruitful to set up a camera above your Genos, and use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to harness some help from someone. We would need to know what specific things you wish to cover. If someone here is willing to help you through this sort of connection, I doubt they would charge for their services. We enjoy helping one another comb through the various bumps along the way.

Having said that, why not compile exactly what you're wanting to achieve. You mentioned editing some of the settings for a better sound. That is possible but let's go over the basics first. We need to know what sound gear you're using, your current setup...etc. Are you using the Genos speakers, studio monitors, or some other type of speakers? Are you using the microphone to add vocals? Let's start with those things and go from there.

- Lee (just east of Toronto by 75 miles or so)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version