Author Topic: Style part seemed to sound a little better recorded as a midi.  (Read 485 times)

Hi everyone I知 curious about something. I played this style Discohands here is the style. https://www.dropbox.com/s/izfks7jqhkuzgv1/DiscoHands.T160.prs?dl=0 I recorded it in B min chord. Intro and ending C when I listened very carefully: the Brass sounded a bit more mellow (full blown) while playing back the recorded midi. Vs when I play it normally it sounded less mellow(parts being cut off). The thing I知 curious about is does note polyphony come into play or is it how the keyboard is setup (firmware) . I used a psr sx700 for the test. If someone can use the style I shared and load it test it record the intro/endingC do it both style player and midi playback . Listen very carefully to see what I mean. Also the velocities for phrase 2 I知 focusing on is 120-75-75-120. I edited both 120-75- changed the second 75 to 74 in the midi file I heard the mellows very well. I did the same thing with the style itself in mixmaster then tested it on the same keyboard at my local music store. But only the midi format I heard the brass play more better to my ears. I知 curious if it痴 the oparating system or. The style itself: any advice I壇 appreciate.😎
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 08:49:15 AM by Keyboard Master »

Re: Style part seemed to sound a little better recorded as a midi.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 04:46:19 AM »
One guess I知 thinking is depending on major or minor chord the muted channels are still playing in the background. When I play the same style (style itself) on the genos 2 the Brass sounded full blown all the way. Most of the time. This is interesting to me how well voices sound痴 during style playback and song(midi) playback. Another guess is I知 thinking maybe the way the firmware is programmed the style voices will sound its best when recorded/played back as a song/midi file. I知 still curious is the style file using more note polyphony or is it software related.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 05:35:39 PM »
Hi --

A suggestion. Get into the mixer in each case. Check out the effects which are assigned to the parts. There may be different effects employed in the Style than the MIDI Song. Don't forget about the Variation effect because effect assignment is squirrelly in lower-end models like the SX700 -- there's never enough effect units to go around...

Just a thought -- pj

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 06:44:39 PM »
Hi --

A suggestion. Get into the mixer in each case. Check out the effects which are assigned to the parts. There may be different effects employed in the Style than the MIDI Song. Don't forget about the Variation effect because effect assignment is squirrelly in lower-end models like the SX700 -- there's never enough effect units to go around...

Just a thought -- pj
true. I still have a feeling that in the midi (Song) all voices are automatically set to play at their best.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 11:08:19 AM »
I did look at all the parameters and settings. Effects I even matched the volumes of all the channels. But notice the same result. I知 still curious. If the firmware is playing a role on how all the sounds are produced during style playback and song playback. Still in style playback wnen I listen to the brass very carefully. I can hear the mellows being cut in half: while playing back as a midi song it plays (absolutely) full blown.