Author Topic: Wifi and Bluetooth  (Read 471 times)

Offline wibem

Wifi and Bluetooth
« on: April 14, 2024, 08:49:59 AM »
What can I do with the Wifi and Bluetooth connection? Of course I can transfer Audio via Bluetooth. But is there sometime else? I would like to transfer data like midi-  or audiofiles. Is this possible?

Offline RayClem

Re: Wifi and Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 02:04:07 PM »
AFAIK the only application that can connect to Genos2 through WiFi is YEM to install expansion packs. Since these expansion pack files can be quite large, having a fast WiFi connection will reduce load times significantly vs using the slower USB2.0 connection. If you are transferring midi files and text files, these files are rather small, so the USB connection is plenty fast.

There are apps for both iPhone and Android phones and tablets that will allow you to control the Genos2 with your external device. These connect through Bluetooth.

There may be more uses, but that is all I know of at this time.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 02:23:15 PM »
Hands up everyone who had to look up AFAIK!

Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 03:52:12 PM »
AFAIK the only application that can connect to Genos2 through WiFi is YEM to install expansion packs. Since these expansion pack files can be quite large, having a fast WiFi connection will reduce load times significantly vs using the slower USB2.0 connection. If you are transferring midi files and text files, these files are rather small, so the USB connection is plenty fast. ...

In addition to installing Expansion packs (from YEM), you can also use the WiFi connection to play Audio files from suitable devices (e.g. iPad/iPhone, Mac computer). The playback volume is set in the Genos2 Mixer display (Panel 2 page > WLAN volume), just like when playing audio files via Bluetooth audio, USB audio or the AUX IN jacks. See also the attached screenshot.

A third option for WiFi is the "MIDI-over-WiFi" connection (e.g. with Android device, iPad/iPhone or Mac). Note: I only recommend this for use at home, as the "MIDI-over-WiFi" connection is relatively susceptible to interference and the latency is often relatively high. For public performances, I recommend using a Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter (see below) or a USB-MIDI cable connection (safest) instead.

... There are apps for both iPhone and Android phones and tablets that will allow you to control the Genos2 with your external device. These connect through Bluetooth. ...

This is not correct when it comes to a Bluetooth MIDI connection. The integrated Bluetooth of the Genos2 can only be used to play Audio files (e.g. from Android devices or iPad/iPhone). In order to establish a Bluetooth MIDI connection between Genos2 and a smart device, an additional Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter must be used on the Genos2. I recommend the “CME WIDI Master” adapter:
>>> https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master/

By the way, unfortunately I can no longer recommend the Yamaha Bluetooth LE MIDI adapters (MD-BT01 and UD-BT01). Yamaha has not provided these devices with firmware updates for a long time. Due to an earlier update, all MD-BT01 devices were "shot" (including mine) because the UD-BT01 firmware was automatically installed on them. And Yamaha has not yet been able to provide a corrective update that turns the "dead" UD back into an MD...

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 04:09:47 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)