Tyros Keyboards (5 Boards) > Tyros 2 (SFF1)

SOLVED: Problem with subwoofer

(1/9) > >>

Fran MB:
Good morning.

I don't know if my query is in the right forum.

Thank you very much in advance.

I bought the Tyros 2 with a damaged TRS MS 02 subwoofer unit. At first minute it works well, but soon you start to hear knocks or it goes out and nothing sounds.

The person who sold me the keyboard told me that he was using a Home Cinema subwoofer replacing TRS MS 02 subwoofer, and keeping the Tyros satellites, but using cables other than those of the Tyros and using the Tyros Line Out as an output. I don't know what replacement subwoofer he used.

I can use some external amplified monitors, but I prefer to use the keyboard-specific satellites for space and placement reasons. That's why I've bought a used subwoofer (it works) and I've made the connections it told me at the time, but the "invention" doesn't work.

Below are the features of the TRS-MS 02 and the replacement subwoofer.

YAMAHA TRS-MS

Frequency response 32 Hz to 20 kHz (I don't know if you're referring to the response of the subwoofer or rather to that of the whole set)

Satellite Speakers

20 W + 20 W (1 kHz, 4 Ω at T.H.D.=10%)

Tweeter.... 1.9 cm (3/4") dome, magnetic shielding

Midrange............... 8 cm (3") cone, magnetic shielding

Subwoofer

40 W (100 Hz, 5 Ω at T.H.D.=10%)

16 cm (6.5") cone, magnetic shielding

Power consumption: 65 W.

As you konw, a combo RCA pin/8-pin cable comes out of the keyboard and enters the subwoofer and returns to the keyboard.
The satellites are connected by 1 RCA cable each coming from other keyboard outputs.

SUBWOOFER I PURCHASED FOR REPLACEMENT:

YAMAHA YST SW005 (SELF-POWERED ACTIVE)

Driver 16 cm cone woofer
Output 55 W/ 5 Ω
Frequency response: 30 Hz to 200 Hz

To connect the keyboard to the subwoofer:

Keyboard Output: Line Out L and R (one cable for each channel, 6.5 mm TRS output (I think) that go into the two inputs of the subwoofer "INPUT 1 FROM AMPLIFIER" to bare cable.

To connect the subwoofer to satellite speakers:

Diagrams of the subwoofer connection can be found on pages E4 to E7 of the manual at the link.

YST-SW005.pdf (yamaha.com) (I don't know if the link will work).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/327705/YST-SW005_G_en.PDF&ved=2ahUKEwiv56jvhbqFAxXQUqQEHQ5-B1MQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1QuAE3KiwuS8jTXDdH1J9o

From the subwoofer "OUTPUT TO SPEAKERS" output to bare cable, and input to each satellite with RCA.

RESULT:

The bass is heard (but at a rather lower level than with the Tyros subwoofer, which is less powerful) and more muted.
Only one of the satellites can be heard. You hear something very low, with your ear glued to it, and with the subwoofer volume and keyboard output at maximum.

When trying to change the order of the pair of bare RCA cables of both, in no case do they both sound, and even depending on how they are combined, the subwoofer (bass) stops playing.

The INPUT 1 FROM AMPLIFIER, according to manual of the subwoofer YAMAHA YST SW005, is to be connected to the speaker output of an amplifier that does not have a specific PRE OUT subwoofer output. I don't know if a signal previously amplified by the amplifier should enter this input.

DOUBTS:

1. The Tyros doesn't have an internal amplifier, right? therefore, the signal leaves the keyboard to the TRS MS 02 unamplified, and therefore also to any external team.

2. I don't know if the YST 005 subwoofer, through this input is able to amplify the signal coming from the keyboard (I think unamplified) to power the satellites, as I think the TRS MS 02 subwoofer does. Perhaps it is only prepared to receive previously amplified signals, which is why satellites sound at such a low volume.

3. Maybe the stripped RCA cables at the subwoofer output and with RCA (two-way) connector to the satellite speacker are not correct?  The cables are firmly attached to the output tabs of the subwoofer. The volume output controls on the Tyros and subwofer are maxed out.

4. Before I discard the subwoofer I'd like to know if what I want to do is perhaps not possible, or at least with this particular subwoofer, or if I'm doing something wrong, or if something can be done to make it work.

5. Has anyone had the same problem as me with the TRS MS 02 subwoofer? Is there any easy solution without taking it to an SAT?

I don't know if I've been able to explain myself well. The forum app doesn't allow you to attach photos, I think.

Sorry for the length and that what I am proposing is so basic or silly.

Thank you.

Best regards.

BogdanH:
hello Fran,
You have described the situation perfectly. As you probably already realized, this subwoofer (YST-SW005) is totally unusable in combination with existing satellite speakers.
The thing is, subwoofer only has one (mono) amplifier which only covers sub-frequency range and that's it. There's no (stereo) amplifier that's needed for for satellite speakers -and that's the problem that you cannot solve with some special wiring.
This subwoofer is only usable if you also have a stereo amplifier. But even then, to use it in combination with satellites speakers, that's not just any stereo amplifier. It should have the ability to define crossover frequency, otherwise it can easily happen that you damage satellites (which are meant only for mid and high frequency range).

In short: If you wish to use existing satellite speakers, repairing the original subwoofer is the only solution -check that 8-pin cable and connectors!!

Bogdan

Fran MB:
Good afternoon Bogdan,
Once again I must thank you for your excellent, quick and detailed response, also in this other field related to keyboards.

The cables are in principle well connected. Someone told me that the TRS ms:02 series had been defective and that this was a fairly common problem, although I don't know if it is true, something related when it get hot? Or something, it gets broken and later it fails even when it is cold at the firstoment using it.

The problem was corrected starting with Tyro's 3 I believe. I will have to buy a new equipment used, I think all TRS ms-01 up to TRS MS 05 are compatible with my Tyros 2, although with 5 I have some doubts, although I think they have exactly the same connections.

Thank you very much and greetings.

Fran

Amwilburn:
Bogdan is correct, the TRS is a set, the subwoofer powers the satellites, therefore without a working sub, you can't use the satellites either. Only the TRSMS01, TRSMS02, TRSMS04 and TRSMS05 are fully compatible (no there was not a huge problem with TRSMS01 or TRSMS02.. as a dealer we never encountered any blown ones.) So if you can find any, by all means grab one of those (but they're all discontinued, FYI)

But you could always just buy your own stereo speakers. Either a pair of HS7/HS8 if you don't need much volume (those a near field monitors for recording, not live speakers). For actual PA speakers I'd either recommend a Stagepas400bt or 600bt (depending on small or large living room), or if you need to perform at a venue, CP8's are amazing (but at 1000w each, the noise floor is a *lot* higher, so not as appropriate for home use!)

Mark

Fran MB:
Hello Mark, thank you for your response, which contains information of great interest to me, and for your recommendations.
greetings.

Fran

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version