Author Topic: How to stop a style playing with "N.C.", no chord  (Read 841 times)

Offline jcgam

How to stop a style playing with "N.C.", no chord
« on: April 08, 2024, 03:47:29 AM »
I load midi files with chords, and the styles play the chords.  Is there an equivalent to "N.C." to stop the style programmatically?  This "chord" seems to be ignored by the Genos.  I couldn't search for that term in this forum because the search returns only sentences with an "N" and a "C" separated by a space.

Offline DrakeM

Re: How to stop a style playing with "N.C.", no chord
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 01:30:11 PM »
Generally a No Chord section is a one measure break.

You might try telling us the song you are having trouble with and the section where this issue occurs in the song.

Online overover

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 02:00:11 PM »
Hi jcgam,

Are you talking about stopping the entire style, or should only the accompaniment be stopped/muted but the drums continue to run?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcgam

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 02:16:13 PM »
Generally a No Chord section is a one measure break.

You might try telling us the song you are having trouble with and the section where this issue occurs in the song.

Turkish Rondo - Mozart:

Offline jcgam

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 02:17:14 PM »
Hi jcgam,

Are you talking about stopping the entire style, or should only the accompaniment be stopped/muted but the drums continue to run?

Best regards,
Chris
See my previous reply.  This is just one example.  There are no drums, and the style should stop playing periodically.

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 03:14:43 PM »
See my previous reply.  This is just one example.  There are no drums, and the style should stop playing periodically.

Hi jcgam,

If I understand you correctly, you have MIDI files that contain chord information (and probably the melody). You play one MIDI file and at the same time run a style. (In this case you will hear channels 1 - 8 of the MIDI file. Channels 9 - 16 of the MIDI file are suppressed and replaced by the style parts.)

In order to automatically start or stop the style at certain positions in the MIDI file, you can enter the corresponding style control SysEx commands into the MIDI file using the PC (Windows) program >>> MixMaster.

You do this under "List View > PSR Cmd tab > Select PSR Command "Acmp Play". With "Enable On/Off > ON" you insert an "Acmp Play: START" SysEx (F0 43 60 7A F7)at the specified time position, with "Enable On/Off > OFF" an "Acmp Play: STOP" SysEx (F0 43 60 7D F7) is inserted. See also the attached screenshot.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:03:53 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: jcgam

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 06:38:45 PM »
I think that's not what jcgam means (but I can be wrong).

I wasn't sure what "N.C." means and so I checked for this particular music (Rondo alla Turca) and found this. And the way I understand it, it simply means "no chord" (or left hand) is played when (right hand) notes have "NC" label.
I assume, that style is playing left hand notes and midi is playing right hand notes. If I'm correct on that, then I see no real problem actually... because there are ways for how to make style with a "no notes playing" sections. One way would be to simply put a note (any note) with proper duration and set it's velocity to 1 (=silent).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline jcgam

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 08:55:33 PM »
The style plays the chords above the staff.  I don't think there is a velocity setting for these chords, is there?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 12:53:04 PM »
It is not velocity you set to 01 it is volume.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 02:35:50 PM »
Eileen,
We can not change volume of a single note -we can change volume only on whole channel (which affects all notes inside that channel).

The style plays the chords above the staff....
Now I'm a bit lost... Notes on your picture show the melodic part of the music, which is meant to be played by you (with your right hand) and not by a style.
And even if you have a style that plays this melody (which would make no sense to me), what is then midi playing? And finally, what are you playing with your right hand?

I must admit that I'm not able to help, simply because I don't understand what you're doing... maybe someone else can help.

Bogdan

Offline jcgam

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 03:40:35 PM »
Now I'm a bit lost... Notes on your picture show the melodic part of the music, which is meant to be played by you (with your right hand) and not by a style.
And even if you have a style that plays this melody (which would make no sense to me), what is then midi playing? And finally, what are you playing with your right hand?

Yes I play the melody with my right hand.  The style plays the chord symbols or letters that are above the staff.  Does that help?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 04:58:14 PM »
Don't think you can do this with a midi file.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 05:58:50 PM »
hi jcgam,
Yes, that makes sense now. I'm only not sure where is midi file involved... If style is playing chords (as expected) and you play the melody.. what for do you use midi file?
Anyway, of course it is possible to have "N.C" (no chord playing=silence) inside style. The problem is, I don't know how to explain what you should do. To put it simple, you just don't use any note at NC position.. if there's no note, it will be silence (obviously). Of course, certain knowledge is needed for modifying a style.

Bogdan

Offline jcgam

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 06:07:05 PM »
The midi file contains the chords to play, and it's the source for the score display that I read to play the melody (and practice sight reading and singing).  I'll try the SysEx (F0 43 60 7D F7) suggested above.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:28:25 PM by jcgam »