Author Topic: Genos2 update OS  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Divemaster

Re: Genos2 update OS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 03:23:06 PM »
 :-\ :'(Still waiting for PSR-SX700/900 updates.

Don't hold your breath! 😂
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 04:16:48 PM »
As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the operating system.
What are you hoping for.

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 04:52:16 PM »
I would like to see the value of style dynamics control
being able to be stored in a registration. That was
reported as a bug by Robbiedoes a few months ago.

In addition, I would like to see conversions of the
Premium Packs that we can dowload to Genos2
and the Genos Complete pack for Genos2 to
use the new Genos2 voices and Revelation reverb
and other new effects. This could be done by
Yamaha via registrations that change the voices
and effects to the best of Genos2 with no need to download those packs again.

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 08:09:20 PM »
As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the operating system.
What are you hoping for.
We need an FM editor for the FM engine so that we can edit new algorithms similar to REFACE DX or MONTAGE, otherwise the FM engine was added for nothing!

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 08:40:52 PM »
A friend of mine, who also owns a music store and is in fairly close contact with Yamaha Europe, said a few weeks ago that we could expect a firmware update for Genos2 "soon". I don't know any further details about this yet.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 10:11:51 PM »
We need an FM editor for the FM engine so that we can edit new algorithms similar to REFACE DX or MONTAGE, otherwise the FM engine was added for nothing!

98% percent of arranger users won’t be able to or want to program FM synthesis. They’re not going to add that.
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 07:26:08 AM »
98% percent of arranger users won’t be able to or want to program FM synthesis. They’re not going to add that.

Where did you get this precise statistic of 98%?  ;D very funny...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 08:21:52 AM »
The actual percentage is actually 97,684... but 98 is easier to remember  ;D

Joke aside, what p$manK32 probably means is a big majority of owners and I tend to agree with him. However, small minority counts too and so I think the feature should be implemented -but I don't believe that will happen.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline iulistil2

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 09:59:49 AM »
The FM editor is mandatory because: Genos2 received the FM engine + 1.2 kg more, to which the price is added! Why carry an extra 1.2 kg and what's the use of having an FM engine if you can't create your own voices? Many do not know what you are talking about, but VOCILE FM takes up very little memory and their audio quality is maximum! At least who I talked to who has already purchased Genos2, they are somewhat frustrated that they don't have an editor for DX algorithms, just like it is in REFACE DX which is a smart toy, what's the big deal to add this editor? It is wrong that we cannot use "Soundmondo" to save and load our FM database from the YAMAHA platform! Many of us bought Genos2 for this FM engine, let's use it as promised by YAMAHA!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 10:00:20 AM »

I head that 78.2% of statistics are just made up on the spot.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 11:35:08 AM »
The actual percentage is actually 97,684... but 98 is easier to remember  ;D

Joke aside, what p$manK32 probably means is a big majority of owners and I tend to agree with him. However, small minority counts too and so I think the feature should be implemented -but I don't believe that will happen.

Bogdan

It's a bit like the misuse of the word EVERYBODY these days.

EVERYBODY will want one
EVERYBODY needs to see this
EVERYBODY will be watching the game

Really.... 😂 😂 😂 Laughable.

Another two prevalent in the UK.
SEE YOU LATER.... and
KNOW WHAT I MEAN

We'll NO, you won't  and No I don't... 😂 😂

Maybe I'm just old and semi-grumpy!

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 12:44:35 PM »
Unfortunately communication is now far more important than facts…

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 12:46:25 PM »

Hi

I think you are big time right about us loading in new fm sounds for us to tweak.
With a new FM engine with the sounds that Yamaha gave us, it is pretty mean for the overall cost of Genos 2
If you have Cubase linked to the Genos and have say Korg M1 or Arturia DX7 or cheaper still Native FM8, you can have millions of sounds to play and now with the onboard sound device you can have Styles with lower left hand and VST on the upper part.So easy to set up.
I would think gigging people are missing out, whilst the bedroom musician has the sky is the limit option. I would hate to rely on wndows 11 out on the road.

All The Best
John :)

Ps--   Come to think of it, the Genos can konk out or conk-up during gigs as i have seen on the recent video. At least with singers they can keep going, No duracell's needed!!! ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 12:54:49 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Akki

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 01:14:00 PM »

LOL - I just recalculated down to maybe 7.8% (AI confirmed as well  ;D ) of those who use it as out of the box synt not touching any editing capabilities available on Yamaha (very limited/minimum editing anyway. Considering this, G2 may not even get an FM editor at all)

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 01:56:54 PM by Akki »
Ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent! 🤷🍻

Yamaha Genos 2, Yamaha DX100, Korg Pa4x, Roland XP30, Soundcraft Ui16, Presonus Studiolive 1602, Shure WBH54, Beta 58 (2x), JBL PRX 718XLF (2x) & PRX 712 (2x)

https://www.4shared.com/s/dDhZjI8dv

Offline Genos!

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 12:13:05 AM »
The FM editor is mandatory because: Genos2 received the FM engine + 1.2 kg more, to which the price is added! Why carry an extra 1.2 kg and what's the use of having an FM engine if you can't create your own voices? Many do not know what you are talking about...
Many of us bought Genos2 for this FM engine, let's use it as promised by YAMAHA!

384 Polyphony (128 for Preset AWM Voices + 128 for Expansion AWM Voices + 128 for FM Voices)

1/3 of the polyphony is eaten up by FM. Hopefully there are some good FM sounds available that are perfect right out the box?

Seems a FM editor would be a requirement.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 07:53:07 AM »
There are many great FM sounds out of the box.

I don't need an editor, but I would really like to have the ability to load any FM sound from any Yamaha FM instrument or from any FM pack.

Wouldn't it be great to load a lovely sound from a, say, DX7 you like?

Maarten

Offline DerekA

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 09:56:39 AM »
384 Polyphony (128 for Preset AWM Voices + 128 for Expansion AWM Voices + 128 for FM Voices)

1/3 of the polyphony is eaten up by FM. Hopefully there are some good FM sounds available that are perfect right out the box?

Seems a FM editor would be a requirement.

It's not so much "eaten up" - more that the Genos2 tone generator has enabled the additional 128 channels on the chip that are dedicated to FM. It's not that those 128 channels could have been used for AWM2. NB I believe that the FM channels are there on the Genos1 chip, since it's the same one used in Montage, but are not enabled.

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 01:57:38 PM »
It's not so much "eaten up" - more that the Genos2 tone generator has enabled the additional 128 channels on the chip that are dedicated to FM. It's not that those 128 channels could have been used for AWM2. NB I believe that the FM channels are there on the Genos1 chip, since it's the same one used in Montage, but are not enabled.

Hi Derek,

Yes, the FM tone generation is integrated in the SWP70 Tone Generator chip. Genos1/2 models, just like Montage/Montage M, have two SWP70 chips, but as far as I know only one of them is used for FM on Genos2/Montage/Montage M.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 02:01:47 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 02:24:30 PM »
Returning to the original thread: Any news on updates
of the Genos2 firmware that will fix bugs, especially the
current inability to save style dynamics control
in registrations?  I am extremely happy with my Genos2
due to its voices  reverb and effects, and
am creating new registrations.  But when they finally fix the
bug related to style dynamics control, I will have to manually
add that with its appropriate value, one by one
to each button of each registration.  That will take
considerable time.

Offline jcgam

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 02:59:23 PM »
Updating individual registrations is indeed a pain because saving registrations is a multi-step process with no shortcut.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 03:42:37 PM »
I can save the values of my style dynamics in registrations . Have you got the box ticked in memory.

Offline overover

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2024, 08:00:02 PM »
I can save the values of my style dynamics in registrations . Have you got the box ticked in memory.

Hi Eileen,

Which box are you talking about here (that should be ticked to memorize the current Style Dynamics value in Registrations)?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:08:36 PM by overover »

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2024, 08:11:57 PM »
I just again tried saving a value of 70 (instead
of the default 80) of the
 live control knob DynCtrl to a registration with
Live Control checked in the Memory screen. It does
not save the value. Namely  if I change the value to 80
by hand and then activate the registration button
where I supposedly saved it as 70, the DynCtrl live
controller still reads 80. Of course, the registrations
on the Genos2 do save the Style volume  but
I was pointing out the bug in not being able
to register the live controller,  DynCtrl.  As I said in an earlier
post  this bug was mentioned in the Forum sveral
months ago hy Robbiedoes and we have not yet
received a fix by Yamaha  via a firmware update.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2024, 10:02:57 PM »
I head that 78.2% of statistics are just made up on the spot.

Funny :).  I see my made up 98% comment was a big hit. Yes, I was just trying to make a point. I learned my lesson, next time I won’t do that!  Why would Yamaha add FM synthesis editing when they only offer the bare basic editing on the AWM side?

Rich
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 10:09:12 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline pjd

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2024, 10:32:37 PM »
I don't need an editor, but I would really like to have the ability to load any FM sound from any Yamaha FM instrument or from any FM pack.

Maarten

Hi Maarten --

Hmmm, I don't believe it would be possible to load any FM sound from any Yamaha FM instrument -- too many variants and they aren't all compatible. I just went through this with Reface DX while searching for compatible patches.

FM-X to FM-X should be do-able. A person could then edit on an FM-X synth like MODX and bring the data to Genos2.

Yamaha never seems to get out of product "silos" and, gasp, share tools between synths and arrangers?!?!!!!??  :)

Take care -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 11:33:27 PM »
As is well known, there is an online “FM Converter” for Montage/MODX:
>>> https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/fmconverter/index/converter/

But since the Yamaha Synth and Genos development teams are still obviously very reluctant to work together, I'm afraid we'll have to wait a long time for such an FM converter app (let alone a proper FM editor) for Genos2...

Best regards,
Chris