Author Topic: MIDI A and MIDI B concurrent receive ?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline andy0140

MIDI A and MIDI B concurrent receive ?
« on: April 06, 2024, 03:10:52 PM »
Hi all - Can the G2 handle midia (in) and midib (in) concurrently

I have 2 controller keyboards each equipped with (DIN) MIDI out and would like to be able to control various aspects of the G2 at the same time ?

Or is it restricted to going down the DAW route or even getting a MIDI merge box and outputting both to MIDI A ?

Cheers, Andy
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
M-Audio BX8 Studio Monitors
M-Audio BX4 Studio Monitors
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Behringer QX1204USB Mixer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline jimlaing

Re: MIDI A and MIDI B concurrent receive ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 06:55:18 PM »
If it is the same as Genos1 and Tyros, then YES it can handle simultaneous input on both MIDI ins.  I currently do that on my Genos1; MIDI 'A' is from a M-Audio Code49 controller, and in MIDI 'B' I have a wireless MIDI gadget (m.1 connect) that I use for MIDI commands from my iPad (running 'unrealBook' app) to the Genos.  They can happen simultaneously with no problem.  There are setting in the MIDI menus for selecting what happens with MIDI A and MIDI B (where those inputs 'go') etc.  So very likely, this should be possible on G2 as well . . . -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: andy0140

Offline Genos!

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 11:06:55 PM »
Don't merge... you'll lose polyphony by doing so.

Keep the inputs separated and enjoy!

This was one of my main reasons for justifying the high cost of the Genos: two keyboards in one (via midi).

I already had a Casio Workstation, Triton-LE, FA-08; just needed that yammy sound. And later I added two more Integra-7's.

Now I'm thinking about adding a Genos2 (same reasoning) once the kinks are worked out and my "shadow" alto arrives.

This is my no-lag, wall-of-sound, recording studio in a nutshell.

Offline andy0140

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:03:19 PM »
Cheers all, dont think i'll ever need the 384 Polyphony, I'll see how it goes once the additional controller arrives. Worst case I can DAW it via USB.
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline Genos!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 06:04:55 PM »
It's more a probability than not. 384 sounds like a lot.

384 (128 for Preset AWM Voices + 128 for Expansion AWM Voices + 128 for FM Voices)

If you go over 128 in any of the 3 categories, you'll overstep the limit.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 07:20:39 PM »
Hi all - Can the G2 handle midia (in) and midib (in) concurrently

I have 2 controller keyboards each equipped with (DIN) MIDI out and would like to be able to control various aspects of the G2 at the same time ?

Or is it restricted to going down the DAW route or even getting a MIDI merge box and outputting both to MIDI A ?

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, of course Genos2 (just like Genos1 and all Tyros models) can process incoming MIDI data on MIDI A IN and MIDI B IN at the same time.

There are two separate MIDI ports internally (Port 1 and Port 2) and therefore 32 internal MIDI channels (used by the 16 Song parts, 8 Style parts, 4 Keyboard parts and 4 Multi Pad parts).

By default, for example with one of the preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & Style", the 16 SONG parts are controlled via MIDI A IN, and the aforementioned 8 STYLE parts and the 4 keyboard parts are controlled via MIDI B IN. However, this assignment of the Receive channels can be changed at any time by the user (in MIDI > Receive tab). And of course you can also change the Transmit settings as desired (in MIDI > Transmit).

The USB-MIDI connection (USB-to-Host terminal) can be used in parallel with the DIN MIDI terminals. The MIDI data is automatically merged. Please note, however, that there is only one transmit port via USB-MIDI (corresponds to MIDI A OUT). This means that the data from MIDI B OUT (= Port 2 Transmit) can NOT be sent via USB-MIDI. (However, if required, the relevant Transmit parts can be assigned to Port 1.)

Summary:

- MIDI A IN (= Port 1 / USB 1 Receive): shown as MIDI output device "Digital Keyboard 1" in the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver or "Digital Workstation 1" in the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver

- MIDI B IN (= Port 2 / USB 2 Receive): shown as MIDI Output device "Digital Keyboard 2" / Digital Workstation 2" in the USB drivers mentioned

- MIDI A OUT (= Port 1 / USB Transmit): shown as MIDI Input device "Digital Keyboard" or "Digital Workstation" in the USB drivers mentioned)

- MIDI B OUT (= Port 2 Transmit): Not available via USB-MIDI

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:09:37 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline andy0140

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 09:53:48 PM »
Appreciate that Chris, really detailed and useful - many thanks.
Keys:
Yamaha Genos 2
Nektar Impact LX Mini
M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro
Roland FP-30X

Acoustic:
Kawai K200

Gear:
Yamaha NSSW050 Subwoofer
Gear4Music MIX04AU Mixer

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 10:10:40 PM »
You're welcome, Andy! Thanks for your feedback. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)