PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-SX900/SX700/SX600

Search behavior very strange on - SX700 - GOOD NEWS today!

(1/17) > >>

dlepera:
Hello.
          I am sorry that this subject comes up a little to often but it seems that I may still not have a very clear understanding of how this arranger software handles a simple thing like a search function.

Considering past posts on how these USBs behave, should and should not be created, populated, managed, ie: moving files from one folder to the other, not put loads and loads of file folders, files on a usb, don't fire up many usbs at a time, etc... 

However for some time now I have been taking somethings as normal behavior but I think it is time to get a really good understanding of what is going on with my keyboard(SX700).

Simple.  I have a 4gb USB in Fats32 and only 3 style files, 1 folder with a 108 mp3 files utilizing only 534mb  and the rest of the USB is free.

Issue Scenario:

Power up my keyboard with only this one USB  and user memory is pretty clean. Go to menu and check my keyboard storage result.  User is 821.64mb Free and Usb1 is 3.21gb free. All good I say so far.

I exit back to the style function and can view the MP3 folder name and I see my 3 styles which I can select and play with no issues. Still all looks good. 

Now I want to just do the simple search test which is what I have been annoyed with for a long time when searching styles:

I select the USB1 while in the style search function , tap on USB1 , the screen populates with what is on my USB1(a folder and 3 styles). I now select the hour glass for the search. In this case the only styles on the USB are two styles with "Lady" as the first name and one with "Beatle". 

This is where things go strange.  I get a message on the  upper right of the screen that says "The number of search results has exceeded the limit"  and then I get 10 pages of style  names which are not even in my User or USB Folder.  In fact if I search something  that has never existed on any of my previous USB and never searched, like the name "JUNK" I get a blank result, if I search for something like "Good" which have style names that I searched on my previous USBs it populates the list. Then of course if I try to load I get the famous message "File not found, or file name is in appropriate" which is correct as the loaded USB or the User memory does not have that file to load.

So the bottom line is where are all these names coming from? Does the keyboard have all my previous searches and file names loaded in some part of memory that needs to be refeshed, flushed, etc.. Kind of like a bad registry entry or cache on a computer??

Note:  I have rebooted and and reset the keyboard, left this usb connected with the keyboard on for hours, but the results are the same.

I am almost ready to factory reset this thing but I will have lots of work after to put in the latest upgrade, then reload my Expansion packs, etc. So looking to avoid this activity if possible.  All other functions of the keyboard work as they should, only this search is my issue.   And by the way it does the same for Registration searches. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.     

dom

Lacko:
Hi dom,
sources of problems lay always in the past, not at present time. If I remember well, you mentioned some time ago, that you have more than 25000 styles in your keyboard. Maybe that some part of memory where index files are stored, was overflown and somehow never cleaned/refreshed afterwards. Try to ask Yamaha service how to clean the whole memory so that nothing can stay there. But I am afraid that full factory reset is the first step :-(

Lacko

Lefty:
The SX series keyboards have a known bug that affects all the search functions.  Affected keyboards will exhibit the symptoms you describe when ANY search is performed, not just styles.

I worked with second level Yamaha support for a couple of months on my SX900.  Nothing we did would make the search functions work again.  Yamaha finally sent me a new keyboard under warranty.  Since Yamaha doesn't know what triggers this bug, I NEVER put any usb drives in this keyboard now.  It won't be under warranty now, and who would want a keyboard without a working search function?

Apparently, Some keyboards are able to recover, some don't. Mine didn't.

Yamaha has known about this bug for years now.  I suspect that it doesn't affect enough users to go to the expense of fixing it, so don't hold your breath for an update.

Best Regards,
   Craig

dlepera:
Gentlemen.
    Appreciate the feedback. Don't like the response about the bug though.  WOW!. That is rather a silly bug for such a basic and common software function. 

Lacko your memory serves you correctly. Since then I have done some reductions on what is stored on external memory.

Craig I would assume that you did do the factory reset?  If you did and that did not work, then I would say that it's not a software related issue as a complete factory reset of any device, wipes everything in volatile and only some parts of non-volatile storage. If there should be an area of non-volatile(non-writable storage) then the issue I would think resides in the resident storage device it's self which I think then the only solution is to replace the device, in your case the keyboard.

Please let me know if you did the factory reset and what result you got so that I can do mine and compare my results. Also if you have a contact name or phone number of the person that you dealt with, it might expedite things for me should I need to go your route.  However, I would doubt that they would replace the keyboard which is 3yrs old but I do have extended warranty which I pay yearly on my keyboard for anything that should go wrong so maybe I might have to go that route. 

PS:  I noticed that I can format my USER storage. Going to do that first, curious will it knock out my Expansion Packs or is that in a different storage area of the keyboard?

I just read a post which talks about my expansion pack stored memory location as described by Chris. So I think I have my answer and will be formatting my USER storage area.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=56219.0
         https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=56405.0

Many thanks for your feedback.    Regards        dom 

dlepera:
Something of note on this subject:

Everything that I have read on this forum about factory reset stating that if you do so, the instrument will be reset to what it was like out of the box is "WRONG".

There is one exception post where Chris stated that not everything will be reset, and that is correct. 

I did enter the MENU2, selected UTILITY, then FACTORY RESET/BACKUP, checked off all 6 areas to be reset and selected the Factory Reset and replied "YES".  The keyboard went into Executing state for 22.16 seconds.
Did this 12 times, yes 12 times and results were the same every time. 

Then powered off the keyboard. Even went as far as unplugging it, then holding down the Power button for 20 seconds for the heck of it as that is what you do to your laptop to ensure a complete factory reset and memory flush(at least for Lenovo). Plugged the keyboard back in and noticed that NOT everything got reset as most people think.  My Owner Name that I put on my Keyboard which is displayed during the power on cycle, the software version level is 1.11 and not sure if this the old or current. How stupid is that?  Owner name not getting reset!!!! My God Yamaha, what are you guys thinking'.  Perhaps I should give them a lesson in Assembler programming.

Tried the search and that did not get corrected. There has to be a file name list somewhere in resident memory of all previous searches that does not get flushed/reset.  What a rude awakening!

What kind of software is this.  Image if your cell phones used this silly factory reset logic?????

I had also contacted Yamaha Canada with this issue yesterday and there "Yamaha Support" is what I call an oxymoron.  Some support when there tech tells you to do a soft reset and/or a factory reset and if that does not work it is an odd case and perhaps a technician needs to look at this. That is all he had to say. You folks in this forum seem to know more than the manufacture's technical support staff. Perhaps they should read through these forum posts and educate themselves before recommending and advising their customers on related questions and issues.

I am very frustrated with the behavior logic of Factory/Reset and not done with Yamaha Canada yet.

Anyway, will proceed to install the latest update on the keyboard, re-install the expansion packs and personalize this thing again.

I apologize if I sound like I am venting, but for the cost of this keyboard, this is really appalling!... I would hate if this happened to any Genos owner after paying your big bucks for these beautify instruments and Yamaha giving you the same response as me.

Good luck to all!             dom 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version