Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

style choice

(1/5) > >>

7788a:
Hi everyone ..
I have a psr-sx900 which I love to bits .. the thing I find most annoying with it (or any of my previous keyboards) is the time it takes  finding the correct style for a song I want to play.. The playlist normally doesn't have the songs I play so that's not the answer ..
Example ..' I'll be there for you'  by the Rembrants (friends theme) I find myself having to go through dozens of styles before I find a similar one and then I'm thinking maybe there is a better one .. ( I used 'Entertainer german rock' in the end )
I wondered how other members handle this .. perhaps there's an easy way .. any suggestions
thanks Konnie ..

EileenL:
Think most people do the same unless we have a dedicated style for the song. Once I find one I usually add song name and save it to a folder with other styles I use for certain songs.

BogdanH:
hello Konnie and welcome to the forum,

I'm pretty sure that you're not the only one at struggling to find the right style -and there's no easy way, I think.
Most of us are usually only playing certain genre of music that we like in particular (country, blues, jazz, etc.) and after a while we remember where to search for suitable styles. For example, if we are looking for some country waltz style, then we won't look into Pop&Rock or Jazz category.
On the other hand, if I would search the style for the song that you mentioned, then I would probably look only into Pop&Rock category and if there's nothing suitable... well, bad luck -as you probably realized.

There are sooo many songs and so it's impossible to expect that we will always find suitable style.
Many times we have opposite approach: when we go trough styles checking them (especially if we downloaded some from internet), it can happen that we say "hey, this style would be usable for XY song" -and we make a notice and/or we copy that particular style in some favorite folder (so we don't forget about it).

I know that I have only told you what you know already  :)
Bogdan

mikf:
The fastest way to audition styles is to set the keyboard to ‘hold’ the style tempo. Go into the style setting menu, select change behavior and then tempo, the set to ‘hold’.
Now you can move between styles rapidly without a tempo change. So now to audition styles for a particular song, you first tap in the tempo you want to play the song, select a style you think might work, play the first couple of bars of the song while playing the appropriate chords and humming the tune in your head. Select another style without stopping, and repeat. Keep on doing this until a style that works well pops up. I find I can work through 10 or 15 styles this way in a minute.
As long as you start with a rough idea of what styles might work, it’s often possible to find a couple or three that come close very quickly, then home in on the best. Of course it won’t work well if you have zero idea, but that’s not normally the case. You usually know the likely genre ……it might be a swing, light Latin or a fast swing or a shuffle or whatever.
I typically do it on variation 2 and then try other variations once I am getting close.
Mike

Bill:
Hi Konnie

Welcome to the forum. Finding a nice style to suite a song is never easy. Some people just have a natural ability to link a general style to any song (I’m not one of those people unfortunately).
However if you get stuck - simply ask on this forum. Someone will always help out.

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version