Genos (12 Boards) > Midi Song to Style Application

Midi Song To Style problem 2

(1/5) > >>

Fran MB:
Hello again,

After solving my previous problem thanks to the collaboration of Bogdan, I am unable to solve a problem associated with the previous problem.

In this case, after using the "style creator" of the Tyros 2 keyboard itself to change the NTT: MELODY BASS parameter to BYPASS, (depending on each style), another problem appears. In general, the style sounds good, but some sounds/phrases, etc., are lost, and the bass is heard too loudly, for example. In other cases, those phrases are lost and a melody of choruses appears that when changing chords, they are also not harmonized with the tone of the song.

I've tried in the Midi Song to Style to change the key in each section but the problem persists. I've also tried changing parameters, but without any criteria.

Also, if in the editor I reconfigure the section to its previous "MELODY" configuration in the NTT, it keeps that new chorus (in other styles, for example, the section reverts to its original erroneous configuration).

If anyone has time or is interested in trying, I leave in the link a couple of styles in SFF1, created in "easy mode" in the program. As mentioned in this forum, depending on the complexity or configuration of each midi, the results are very different, and the way to fix each style will be different. Thank you very much for your attention.

Best regards.

P.d.: In the case of the Xanadu style, after changing the NTT the result is correct, only that the bass is heard very loud, and the sound of the pad is lost.

In the case of We are the World, the chorus appears in the background. Even the speed changes from 76 to 65 beat

https://we.tl/t-eted66D8i9

Rick D.:
Fran,

You should be able to adjust the levels of each part of the style in the Mixer. Be sure to choose the Style tab at the top.

Rick D.

BogdanH:
hi Fran,
In general, BYPASS should never be used for Bass (unless you have a good reason). Because BYPASS does exactly what you describe: pitch doesn't change at chord change. That is, no matter what chord you play, bass will always play the same chord notes.
BYPASS must be used for DrumKit, because here we don't wish drums to change at changing chord. For other voices it's used only if song/music requires that. Example:
Tchaikowsky: Arabian dance -background orchestra plays the same chord trough whole music piece,
Me playing: The man who sold the world -guitar plays the same note sequence all the time, regardless the chord change (pay attention after 2m20sec).

About loudness of (some) voices in your styles...
In style, there are two types of loudness which influence each other:
1. Volume of particular channel (is set in Mixer)
2. Velocity of notes in that channel (is set in StepEditor)

For example, Bass in Xanadu doesn't have high volume -it's bass notes have too high velocities! Open any channel with StepEditor and you will see that all velocities are above 100. At such high velocities voices sound harsh/aggressive (as you were smashing the keys all the time).
What you need to do is, reduce velocities (in StepEditor) in all channels by a half, so they're in range 40-60 and when you're done, you can set volume of each channel (in Mixer) to about 100 (or to your liking).

Bogdan

Fran MB:

--- Quote from: Rick D. on March 13, 2024, 10:42:03 AM ---Fran,

You should be able to adjust the levels of each part of the style in the Mixer. Be sure to choose the Style tab at the top.

Rick D.

--- End quote ---

Hi Rick D.,

Thank you very much  for your response.
I will find this option in the mixer.

Fran

Fran MB:

--- Quote from: BogdanH on March 13, 2024, 11:37:50 AM ---hi Fran,
In general, BYPASS should never be used for Bass (unless you have a good reason). Because BYPASS does exactly what you describe: pitch doesn't change at chord change. That is, no matter what chord you play, bass will always play the same chord notes.
BYPASS must be used for DrumKit, because here we don't wish drums to change at changing chord. For other voices it's used only if song/music requires that. Example:
Tchaikowsky: Arabian dance -background orchestra plays the same chord trough whole music piece,
Me playing: The man who sold the world -guitar plays the same note sequence all the time, regardless the chord change (pay attention after 2m20sec).

About loudness of (some) voices in your styles...
In style, there are two types of loudness which influence each other:
1. Volume of particular channel (is set in Mixer)
2. Velocity of notes in that channel (is set in StepEditor)

For example, Bass in Xanadu doesn't have high volume -it's bass notes have too high velocities! Open any channel with StepEditor and you will see that all velocities are above 100. At such high velocities voices sound harsh/aggressive (as you were smashing the keys all the time).
What you need to do is, reduce velocities (in StepEditor) in all channels by a half, so they're in range 40-60 and when you're done, you can set volume of each channel (in Mixer) to about 100 (or to your liking).

Bogdan

--- End quote ---

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you very much again for your help, for your excellent explanations and for your quick response.

I thought that by changing the "melody" parameter to "bypass", it only affected the drumkit although it applied to all the voices in the style (I don't know how to explain it).

So shouldn't I use this option for the bass part when trying to correct the previous problem of drum sounds when changing chords? Or I can do the same, but as you say, adjusting the excessive velocities later, in the keyboard editor? I don't know if by making these adjustments, in addition to the fact that the bass will sound less loud, I will be able to hear the phrases that were in the style before making the parameter change to "bypass" again.

On the other hand, have you been able to try the "We are the world" style? In this case, as I explained, when making the change to "bypass" a phrase with a "chorus" voice appears that was not in the rhythm before making that change, and also the general beat speed of the style drops in the section, or sections in which are applies that change.

On the other hand, to lower the general volume of the style when creating it in Midi Song To Style, I have tried several things:

1. Lower the general volume of the style in the keyboard's "mixing console" and then save it in memory so that when you recover it it is at the appropriate volume.

2. Lower the volume of all voices before saving the style from the Midi Song to style program itself. (I haven't tried Jorgen's program to adjust the volume of a style yet).

From what you say, from the editor of the keyboard can I adjust the general volume of the rhythm, or lower the volume of each rhythm part, and overwritre it so that it is equal to the volume of the preset rhythms on the keyboard?

Thank you very much again, and sorry for so many questions and lack of knowledge on the subject.

Fran

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version