Author Topic: Yamaha HS Speaker Recommendation  (Read 382 times)

Offline rick76

Yamaha HS Speaker Recommendation
« on: May 02, 2024, 12:59:21 AM »
Hello. I read a number of recommendations for Yamaha HS8 speakers for Genos.
I have KRK 5’s and they are distorting when the bass is turned up on the Genos EQ.

While reviewing the HS 8, a number of reviews stated that they are too much for small areas.
I have a small area and am afraid they may have too much power. I am afraid that the HS7
(Which has a 6.5” woofer) might not be enough.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rick

Offline BogdanH

Re: Yamaha HS Speaker Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 09:47:26 AM »
hello Rick,
I have KRK 5G4 in a smallish room of about 12m^2. Let me clarify few things...
We need to be specific when we talk about bass problem. Bass has a frequency range of about 50Hz to 250Hz (roughly C1...C3 on keybed) and KRK 5 has no distortion in this range. I assume, the problem that you have, is sub-bass range below 50Hz (most left octave on Genos): there's no rich deep bass. But this cannot be solved with EQ. We must keep in mind that we're only applying EQ adjustment within range that the speaker is capable to play. We cannot force speaker to play below 50Hz by increasing EQ level in that range. If we increase too much, we will get distortion in the range that speaker is otherwise capable to play perfectly fine.

According to tests and specifications, KRK 5 frequency range starts at about 55Hz and the same is true for HS7 -and so you cannot expect any difference in sub-bass range. HS8 starts at 47Hz and even that doesn't seem to make some difference, it is much better (in sub-bass region there's a battle for every Hz).
Btw. there's no such thing as too much for small area -I mean, we can always decrease volume. The only thing that might be too much in this case, is speaker size. And if size is no problem for you, go for HS8.
However, HS8 will still not solve sub-bass problem, because starting at 47Hz is not low enough for that.

What I recommend is, that you keep KRK 5 and get a decent subwoofer.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline rick76

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 11:09:27 AM »
Bogdan,
Thanks for your time and explanation.

Have a good day.

Offline maarkr

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 01:41:06 PM »
too much for small rooms?  I have HS8s and a sub in a small bedroom and I can get a full sound.  Any speaker system will distort if pushed too much.  I use them for music production with Studio One and they translate nicely to online music files.  I test mixes at 85dB before release.  If you want super loud, get like a 1000W QSC speaker which is used for small venues.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline rick76

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 01:48:08 PM »
Thanks for your input. Have a great day.