Genos (12 Boards) > Genos Styles/OTS/Multi Pads

How to find the melody?

<< < (7/10) > >>

Denn:
Playing by "ear" in my opinion is a misnomer. Most play from memory. I read the sheet music (I have to do this as my memory is not the best now) and when I play out it is the songs in my memory that are played. If any of you listen to MY recordings on YT and try to copy them then you will make all my mistakes and then add your own. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star ends up as Baa Baa Black Sheep. 😊
Someone once said to me "I don't want to play what someone else has written, I'll play what I think." Yeah!!

Play on and enjoy it. Whatever you think you are right. If you think you can, then you are right. If you think you can't, then you are right.
Kind regards, Denn.

mikf:
If you memorize a piece that’s not playing by ear. The true meaning of the term describes the ability of a musician to play a piece they heard (hence ear) without ever having seen any notation of any kind. Playing by ear exists at many levels. Most people can slowly pick out a melody, then memorize those notes but I don’t think of that as playing by ear. As I described above, to be playing by ear you need to be able to fully play the piece properly in real time just from having heard it, or in the case of improvisation, just from what you hear in your head.

Mike

Lefty:
The term "Playing by ear" has a whole range of meanings to folks. The meaning I see amongst pro players here is more akin to "memorized" than to "hear once and can play thru at tempo".

Best Regards,
    Craig

mikf:
I agree, folks put all kinds of meanings into it - the term has been expanded into people’s minds to mean playing anything without music. But Classical soloists play whole concertos with no music and they are not playing by ear. They have it memorized so well it’s almost sub conscious. It’s not the same thing as playing by ear. Playing by ear involves your memory only to remember the piece, not memorizing the notes or chords involved in playing it.
As a pro I could play whole sets without music same way because I had played them all many times. But that’s not really playing by ear either. But when I played in lounges people would ask me to play a piece I had never played before, and if I had heard it often enough I usually could. That is definitely playing by ear.
I once read that Mozart was so good at playing by ear he could hear a complete Classical piece once, then play it perfectly.
Here is an article on playing by ear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_by_ear
Mike

scannie:

--- Quote ---Yes, Monja is a good example of melody that I play by ear on this video -I mean, everyone knows this simple melody. Btw. I played it in C key, so everyone can easily learn it. It's interesting...
--- End quote ---

Maybe a stupid question, how to play in C?
Is one specific chord the C major chord?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version