Author Topic: Using Cubase to create style from midi files  (Read 1439 times)

Using Cubase to create style from midi files
« on: January 17, 2024, 05:08:17 PM »
Good evening everyone and welcome. I am a brand new owner of a Genos 2 that I gave myself for my 68 years! I am new to the forum and hope to learn a few things from you. First of all, I have a question about using Cubase with the Genos 2. I will preface this by saying that I know a little about it myself. So I import a midifile into Cubase, assign channels 9 to 16 to the tracks, add markers and the following sysex: GMSystem On ; XG Works On. Of course I select the parts and save them in midi format. Then I rename the file to .sty and plug the pen drive into the Genos. I press start, but instead of playing the 8 tracks, it plays only one. Why does this happen?  I hope I made myself clear. Thanks to all

Offline pjd

Re: Using Cubase to create style from midi files
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 05:51:17 PM »
Hi --

Welcome to the Forum!

There's a little bit more to style development than the MIDI part. Basic questions always come when, so I pulled some "getting started" information and links together:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/getting-started-with-style-files/

There are links on this page to a few articles about my experiences creating styles from an SMF. (The Motif/MOX styles) I recommend reading the style creation guide written by Jorgen.

Style files have a so-called CASM section which defines important information about each style part (AKA track). I don't leave the CASM info to chance and create at least a basic CASM section using Jorgen's CASM editor.

Hope these tips help out -- pj

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 08:08:50 PM »
Thank you for your reply, I will try to read carefully what you pointed out. See you again

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 09:43:29 PM »
Style files do not necessarily need a CASM section, as long as the midi section of the style follows these rules:
• Only midi channels 9 .. 16 are used.
• Usage of midi channels is according to following :
      9 Sub-Rhythm Secondary percussion instruments.
      10 Rhythm Main percussion instruments.
      11 Bass Main bass instrument.
      12 Chord 1 Often used for rhythm guitar.
      13 Chord 2 Often used for piano.
      14 Pad Often used for violins or similar.
      15 Phrase 1 Often used for brass instruments.
      16 Phrase 2 Often used for brass instruments.
• Midi channels have to be based on key CMaj7.
• There is only one channel per part ( i.e. no separate channel for major and minor chord types)

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 10:32:27 PM »
You could possibly use Yamaha’s MIDI Song to Style app to convert a MIDI file you create in in Cubase into a Style.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 12:18:03 AM »
Good evening everyone and welcome. I am a brand new owner of a Genos 2 that I gave myself for my 68 years! I am new to the forum and hope to learn a few things from you.

First of all, I have a question about using Cubase with the Genos 2. I will preface this by saying that I know a little about it myself. So I import a midifile into Cubase, assign channels 9 to 16 to the tracks, add markers and the following sysex: GMSystem On ; XG On. Of course I select the parts and save them in midi format. Then I rename the file to .sty and plug the pen drive into the Genos. I press start, but instead of playing the 8 tracks, it plays only one.

Why does this happen?  I hope I made myself clear. Thanks to all

Hi UbiUanKenobi,

Perhaps the main problem is the format in which you saved the MIDI file:

Please save/export the MIDI file in Cubase in format "SMF0" (= all MIDI channels in a single track) and then rename the file from ".mid " to ".sty". It won't work with the "SMF1" format (= each MIDI channel in its own track).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online rphillipchuk

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 01:05:23 AM »

Hi UbiUanKenobi,

Please save/export the MIDI file in Cubase in format "SMF0" (= all MIDI channels in a single track) and then rename the file from ".mid " to ".sty". It won't work with the "SMF1" format (= each MIDI channel in its own track).

Best regards,
Chris

"Gold" advice !
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 01:07:51 AM by rphillipchuk »
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 11:14:40 AM »
Hi guys! Thank you all for the advice you are giving me. Regarding the CASM section I had already taken care to use only channels 9-16 as stated in the manual. At the same time I used MidiSong to style but the results are unsatisfactory due to the poor quality of midi and more. I saved the midi in fromato SMF0. Unfortunately, the problem remains. What happens is that by changing the parameters LSB, MSB, PC ,CC07 the atsiera does not respond properly, some channels play, others do not or it goes crazy giving strange sounds. I am connected via USB to the PC and cubase reads the driver perfectly. I probably have some wrong midi settings but I don't know which ones...thanks a lot guys for your suggestions

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 04:56:52 PM »
Hi

A lot of information regarding style creation in the articles listed at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles.htm

Regards
Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 12:17:44 AM »
I think we're at the point where some of us need to examine the style/MIDI file which is causing issues. Otherwise, we're guessing in the dark.

All the best -- pj

P.S. It could be something real basic. I had a style file blow up because I misspelled a few of the markers...

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 10:04:18 AM »
I think we're at the point where some of us need to examine the style/MIDI file which is causing issues. Otherwise, we're guessing in the dark.

All the best -- pj

P.S. It could be something real basic. I had a style file blow up because I misspelled a few of the markers...

Other reasons for problems: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style_12.htm

Regards
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999