Author Topic: Style parts too high volume  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Oleksandr Makovskyi

Style parts too high volume
« on: December 14, 2023, 03:18:51 PM »
I'm using MIDI to Style app with my PSR-SX900. Works pretty good.
The only issue I have and I can’t find how to solve it is that the volume of parts are very high.

Attached are two photos: one is how mixer looks like for all parts of an average style.
The second photo is with a newly created style:
- the average volume is significantly, by 30-50 points, higher than an average style
- the drum and the bass parts are even up to the maximum 127

The same happened with different MIDI files.

Any advice how to overcome it?
I know it’s possible to adjust the volume in the MIDI to Style application, but it's silly - not easy then to check volumes of each parts, and takes a lot of time to optimize it.
Or maybe some advice of another app what can "remaster" the style.
thank you.

Edit: Topic title edited by Roger Brenizer
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 03:05:56 AM by Roger Brenizer »

Offline dlepera

Re: Style part's too higt volume
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 05:41:40 PM »
Hello Oleksandr.
   Sounds like you have the same question as I had with my SX700 volume issue with styles and voices.
 Check out my post and things should be a little more clear as to why this is happening and how to address it.

I have left a link to my post.  Good luck
 https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,68078.msg513772.html#msg513772

dom

Edit: Link fixed by overover
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 12:39:18 PM by overover »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 06:13:36 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

I've been converting Genos2 R&B styles to Genos1. The factory style part volumes are typically in the mid-range as shown in your example. The Rhythm2 and Bass parts from MIDI Song to Style are waaaay too high.

One mistake that I've made -- setting style part volumes too high. Some of my older styles are much louder than factory styles. I had to adjust style volume down overall in my "song" registrations. I suggest setting style part volumes in the middle range like Yamaha. Start doing this now and you will thank yourself later.  :D

Unfortunately, you will need to use your ears and set levels according to your musical taste/sensibility. I don't think there's any "AI" that can do this job for you.

Stay encouraged! Keep plugging away -- pj

« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 06:16:00 PM by pjd »

Offline dlepera

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 12:51:37 AM »
Hi Pj. Thanks for your advice.
  Perhaps you might be able to give me some insight on the link that I pasted. I am sure that you have copied links of posts and pasted them in other posts. I am sure I have done a few in the past and they worked. In this post it does not matter what I do the link always substitutes **** which renders it unusable. WHY. 

The method is simple to copy link while on the post I wish to copy. In fact if I go outside the forum and just drop that same copied link into a google search it resolves perfectly. Then even if I copy it out of the google search and paste it back into the post, I still get the ****.

dom

Offline overover

Re: Style parts too high volume
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 12:58:30 PM »
Hi Dom,

To post a link to a specific thread, it is best to open that thread in a new browser tab. To link to a specific post in this thread, click on the message title of that post so that the post appears at the top. Then click in the URL bar of the browser, make sure that the entire URL is selected and copy this URL to the clipboard (e.g. with Ctrl+C).

Then go to your current post and paste the copied URL there (e.g. with Ctrl+V or right click > Paste). By clicking on the Preview button you can check whether the inserted URL has been correctly converted into a clickable link.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 01:01:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: dlepera

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 07:20:15 PM »
In this post it does not matter what I do the link always substitutes **** which renders it unusable. WHY. 

Hi Dom --

There was an issue with the Forum software that was making these substitutions (i.e., the asterisks). I reported the issue to the moderation team and Roger made a fix. Thanks, Roger!

Things should be back to normal, now.

All the best -- pj

Offline dlepera

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 07:31:53 PM »
Hi Chris,
I had performed what you described a number of times but nothing got resolved.  So thinking that maybe I was messing things up I just tried the same thing again just now after reading your feedback and it works.

I did get the normal "warning" stating that the post was updated while I was in it and sure enough when I got out I saw the post update from PJD saying that there was something in the software that needed to be fix which it has and now this issue is resolved.   

Thank you all for the wonderful Team Work as always of course.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Regards dom.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 12:24:03 AM »
It is so simple to rectify the loud parts as midi files are all different . It is all down to who programs them.

I use Style Magic from midisoft :) 8)

You import from stick the midi to style that you have made into Style Magic and from there you can adjust volumes , Reverb, Chorus and variation. Just magic! Just need a little patience to go through each part, but the end result is top notch.
There is a load more you can do with it. It is now updated for Genos 2  and the program is well worth it's money.

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox