Author Topic: Yamaha Midi to Style Question  (Read 886 times)

Offline Des O

Yamaha Midi to Style Question
« on: November 23, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
Hi All,

I've been trying to get me head around the instructions especially the section below Image: Midi to Style 1

My question is, what does it mean in simple terms on image 2 Zone settings and how do you use them?
In relation to this I want to change an octave in a part as it to low and chord, does this Low Zone relate to this? If so how do you change it? What does it do?

On image 3:
Again as the Low Zone what doe is mean in values term? where on the keyboard etc? What does it do?

I have read the style course on Jorgens site for any indications what they mean but I seem to be getting frustrated with the terms used and how the work, can anyone explain in simple terms about this?
I have not seen any videos on this part on how to use it, Qui Robinez has produce a valued and excellent video on the basic but this section is a bit like algebra to me.

Any advice would be extremely helpful, thanks.

Offline pjd

Re: Yamaha Midi to Style Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 06:41:09 PM »
Hi --

OK, Yamaha have never really explained some of the stuff in SFF2 (also known as SFF GE). Since there wasn't any (public) way to change these "hidden" parameters before, they were never documented or released to the public.

You get to set the range of the Lo Zone and the Main Zone yourself. That's what LoLim, HiLim mean for each zone.

In the good old days, we only had access to the Main Zone through Style Creator. This is where most of the action is.

You can define a Lo Zone as well as a Main Zone if you want to transpose (or otherwise map) notes in the Lo Zone differently than notes played in the Main Zone.

Hi Zone is for handling MegaVoice peculiarities. Take a look at the MegaVoice maps in the Data List PDF. You'll see two columns labeled above C6 and above C8. In the case of a guitar MegaVoice, for example, playing notes in these ranges will sound strum noise and fret noise. These notes should not be transposed and should be passed verbatim by the style engine.

We didn't have access to either the Lo Zone or Hi Zone before. That's why people went mad trying to handle MegaVoice within the confines of Style Creator.

Hope this explanation helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Des O

Offline Des O

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 06:57:30 PM »
Hi --

OK, Yamaha have never really explained some of the stuff in SFF2 (also known as SFF GE). Since there wasn't any (public) way to change these "hidden" parameters before, they were never documented or released to the public.

You get to set the range of the Lo Zone and the Main Zone yourself. That's what LoLim, HiLim mean for each zone.

In the good old days, we only had access to the Main Zone through Style Creator. This is where most of the action is.

You can define a Lo Zone as well as a Main Zone if you want to transpose (or otherwise map) notes in the Lo Zone differently than notes played in the Main Zone.

Hi Zone is for handling MegaVoice peculiarities. Take a look at the MegaVoice maps in the Data List PDF. You'll see two columns labeled above C6 and above C8. In the case of a guitar MegaVoice, for example, playing notes in these ranges will sound strum noise and fret noise. These notes should not be transposed and should be passed verbatim by the style engine.

We didn't have access to either the Lo Zone or Hi Zone before. That's why people went mad trying to handle MegaVoice within the confines of Style Creator.

Hope this explanation helps -- pj

Thanks for the info, I have notice in PSRruti I can change octaves for each instrument/channel very easy as well but experimenting with it.
Thanks again PJ

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 07:30:22 PM »
Until now, access to zones was only possible with the StyleMagic program.
Finally, Yamaha has made it possible to adjust the zones so that we can adjust the Styla channel for Mega Voice.

https://youtu.be/7zQaOUsZHW0?si=D-7qyx5MqLhGpWgh&t=780
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Des O

Offline Des O

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 08:00:43 PM »
Until now, access to zones was only possible with the StyleMagic program.
Finally, Yamaha has made it possible to adjust the zones so that we can adjust the Styla channel for Mega Voice.

https://youtu.be/7zQaOUsZHW0?si=D-7qyx5MqLhGpWgh&t=780
Thanks Casper, I will take a look at that.