Author Topic: Midi to style key question  (Read 656 times)

Offline Des O

Midi to style key question
« on: November 18, 2023, 06:14:31 PM »
Do you need to create the key you want to play in or basic C?
Am I correct in saying that I can change the key in Midi to Style or does the midi need to be in the correct key I want to play in first?
I want to keep some melody lines but it doesn't sound right in the changed key.

Offline robinez

Re: Midi to style key question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 06:17:03 PM »
you can change this in the program, no need to modify it upfront, I will explain everything in my tutorial tomorrow

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 06:33:54 PM »
If the song and its data in the MIDI file are in the key of E, for example, then you will need to tell the tool the key, E.

There is a myth that all style files need to be in the key of CMaj7 -- more accurately, the scale defined by CMaj7. In truth, we have wide flexibility as to root note ("C") and chord type ("Maj7").

I recommend reading about "NTR" and "NTT" in the Reference Manual. Also, the "Style Creation Course" on Jørgen's site is very informative and helpful: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/docs_specs.htm

All the best -- pj

Offline Des O

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 06:41:28 PM »
you can change this in the program, no need to modify it upfront, I will explain everything in my tutorial tomorrow
Thanks I will look forward to it, I'm trying to run before I can walk with this as it's the first app I have had some success with straight out.