Author Topic: Fantastic, Simple Easy Yamaha Midi to Style!!  (Read 8360 times)

Offline Des O

Fantastic, Simple Easy Yamaha Midi to Style!!
« on: November 16, 2023, 12:19:10 PM »
Yamaha Midi to Style is fantastic! Just what we needed.
I have tried with a few in auto simple mode and the results are great!
Remember you must disable the ACMP on the key when doing it, then turn it on after you load it direct to the keyboard via usb or flash. (If you leave it on it sounds rubbish)
Its **** near perfect and you can adjust to your liking.
The quality of the midi should be good to start though. Ive tried a few and I am impressed!
Genos 1 voicelist
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/downloads/content_data/index.html?k=&c=keyboards&l=en&p=4

Some tinkering is all thats needed, this is simple happy days well done Yamaha!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:29:54 PM by Des O »

The following users thanked this post: frajag, pjd, ASK

Re: Fantastic, Simple Easy Yamaha Midi to Style!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 02:05:30 PM »
So, is this the new MIDI style creator for the Genos 2? Is it free to Genos 1 customers? Does it work with Genos 1? Thanks Des.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 02:11:42 PM »
Is it free to Genos 1 customers?

It's free to anyone who wishes to download the app, Lee. :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 02:31:15 PM »
Lee,
I have it working on the SX-900 too. There is a "Voice List" folder that you can download that contains .txt files for SX-900/700/600, A5000, Genos and Genos2.
By default, it loads the Genos 2 voice list, so just go to the menu, and Import the Voice List file for any of those keyboards.
Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 02:42:17 PM »
Please direct me to the "Voice List" for the DGX 670.........

Thanks
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline Des O

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »
Is it compatible? SFF & GE files? It will be in the downloads section of your keyboard on Yamaha website if it is. Either way use it with basic voices then changed them when saved/loaded on keyboard.

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »
Sorry guys. But what has the voice list got to do with the Midi to Style app.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Des O

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 03:23:41 PM »
If you use the app without it you just get basic voices as defined by the midi file.
If you add the voice file G1 or G2, I think G2 is pre installed according to the instruction manual you can then hear the voices for your keyboard. I don't think it's needed but it's there to use and gives you a better style how it would sound.

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 04:22:32 PM »
Thanks Des

When I first looked I was thinking of the voice guide feature.

bill
England

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 05:22:00 PM »
What is the name of the app? I only see the voice list on that download page. Thanks!

Offline Des O

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
What is the name of the app? I only see the voice list on that download page. Thanks!

Here you go
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/midi_song_win.html

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 07:22:23 PM »
Maybe this will help clear up some things:

You need 2 downloads,  the App itself (MIDI Song to Style) and the Voice List (folder of several .txt files for different keyboards)
They are zipped files, so unzip them to where you want them stored.

I did not see this under the PSR-SX900 downloads, for now it's only under the Genos 2 downloads.

So install the app, and by  Default it will be using the Genos 2 Voice List. For other keyboards, you then go to the Edit menu, and select "Import Voice List".
At this time, it allows you to import for Genos, Genos2, PSR-A5000, PSR-SX600 / 700 / 900.  (Nothing for the DGX-670, at least not at this time)

It says to use a sampling rate of 44.1Khz, but I happen to be using 96K, and works fine with the SX-900. I can also Save the Style directly to the SX-900, or to USB drive.
Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

The following users thanked this post: pjd, johan, SingerSongwriter, stevem

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2023, 03:09:51 AM »
Fantastic! Thanks everyone ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2023, 03:12:42 AM »
Is the voice list for Genos entitled, "Voice Guide file for Genos (English)"? That's the one I downloaded in addition to the app itself.

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2023, 03:25:05 AM »
The name of it is   MIDISongtoStyle_VoiceList_V1.01.zip
It includes files for both MAC and Win10/11

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 04:11:02 AM »
I know the app name is MIDI_Song_to_Style_Win.zip. That's the file I downloaded from the link provided earlier. I was asking about the voice list name. Did I download the correct one? On that page, there are no specific voice list names. Thanks :).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 04:13:00 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Jim

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2023, 04:28:40 AM »
Dang it all.  I just saw that it's only for Windows 10 and 11 which leaves me out.  Oh, well.....

Online p$manK32

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2023, 04:35:46 AM »
I was asking about the voice list name. Did I download the correct one? On that page, there are no specific voice list names. Thanks :).

Lee,
Do a search in the box for: "Voice List for MIDI Song to Style"
It will download as a folder containing Genos, Genos2, SX600/700/900 text files.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2023, 05:37:48 AM »
OK, I have the app installed and the voices added. Does anyone have a Genos style file *as MIDI* that I could load in so I could see how this works? I will keep trying with MIDI files of my own but I'd like to see what the finished product should look like on the MIDI side.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 05:56:41 AM by SingerSongwriter »

Offline Des O

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2023, 07:57:25 AM »
Here is the official Yamaha video instructions for Midi to Style. Enjoy
😉

https://youtu.be/yYfPbMFM5wo?si=a0Zxil5fB_vbmKrd

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, Dave Shively

Offline Bill

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2023, 09:14:36 AM »
Dang it all.  I just saw that it's only for Windows 10 and 11 which leaves me out.  Oh, well.....

Hi Jim

It is for the Mac also - works as expected on both.

Bill
England

Offline kiplis

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2023, 10:20:39 AM »
Lee,
It will download as a folder containing Genos, Genos2, SX600/700/900 text files.

Rich

Any idea if the "Voice List for MIDI Song to Style" only affects the data going from the computer to the workstation while playing the style, or if it also affects to the sounds of midi files while reproduced in the workstation, i.e. once you actually use the style? (any better end result...)

Offline Des O

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2023, 10:25:53 AM »

Any idea if the "Voice List for MIDI Song to Style" only affects the data going from the computer to the workstation while playing the style, or if it also affects to the sounds of midi files while reproduced in the workstation, i.e. once you actually use the style? (any better end result...)

It gives you the voices the keyboard you are using has, you can change any to suit for the end result that would be on the keyboard when you play. It saves you from adjusting if you have already loaded on the board after. In a sense pre-production.

The following users thanked this post: kiplis

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2023, 12:12:42 PM »
Lee,

Rich
Thanks Rich. It worked!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 12:14:18 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline rgw

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2023, 12:21:13 PM »
Can someone tell me how to load this app. in the SX900 please?
I can't find instructions on how to do this.
Thanks in advance.

Richard.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2023, 12:22:47 PM »
I want all and i want it now!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 12:23:51 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2023, 12:23:09 PM »
Hello Lee,
Yes, you do have the correct fliename for the APP --  MIDI_Song_to_Style_Win.zip

Notice that the second file you need is named very similarly   MIDISongtoStyle_VoiceList_V1.01.zip

When you extract the .zip file for the Voice List   it creates a folder with the same name, and 2 subfolders:

_MACOSX  folder  and
VoiceList   folder    <-------  This folder contains the 6  .txt  files (one for each currently supported keyboard)

So, if you have the app installed, and the VoiceList folder extracted, you then go to the menu,
select "Import Voice List", then navigate to that expanded folder, and choose one of the keyboards.
Hope that helps,  Jerry

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2023, 12:29:14 PM »
Yes it does, thanks Jerry :D.

I watched the video and it looks like this is also an external Style editor!!! This is a major breakthrough for users because we no longer need to use the absolutely horrible Style Editor on the Genos :o. This is a major game changer for those who like to create their own styles. Well done, Yamaha!!

Offline valimaties

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2023, 12:38:39 PM »
Can someone tell me how to load this app. in the SX900 please?
I can't find instructions on how to do this.
Thanks in advance.

Richard.

Richard, the software is not loading IN SX900 or any keyboard. The software will be installed on a PC or Mac, downloading the equivalent app from Yamaha's website.
After you install the app on your computer in Edit menu you can load those txt files taht Jerry already said about.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: rgw

Offline mikf

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2023, 12:44:36 PM »
What keyboards are currently compatible with this new app - CVP series?
Mike

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2023, 12:57:00 PM »
  ---- Mike,
Currently there are Voice lists for  Genos, Genos2, PSR-A5000,  PSR-SX600 / 700 / 900

---- Lee,
Great, glad you have it working!  Now all we need are some in-depth tutorials on how to fully use this app!
The "Easy" mode works to a certain extent,  as a start,  but we really have to manually edit the Style.

Jerry

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2023, 01:08:48 PM »
Thanks and agreed, Jerry. Think of the other possibilities where users can share their newly created styles.

Most of the current Genos styles are very good but they could be edited to make them better. This long awaited software is perfect for that. For example, in the Acoustic Jazz style, there is one bass note that reverts to a minor pentatonic - away from the major pentatonic, which is acceptable but not for some songs. This new software will make such edits easy, instead of hunting for each of those notes using the current editor on board the Genos.

Offline musicman100

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2023, 01:14:21 PM »
It worked fine on my psr s770!! aswell
Yamaha psr 770, kawai es920, Genos 2

Past-KN2000 Tyros 4 CVP 407 Psr70

https://soundcloud.com/musicmantees

https://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/musicman

https://www.youtube.com/@keyboardplayertees

Offering on line and in person lessons on Genos 2.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2023, 01:25:31 PM »
What keyboards are currently compatible with this new app - CVP series?
Mike

I saw the file with the voices. This patch file could be made for any Yamaha keyboard that can play SFF2 styles. I'm sure this software creates only SFF2 styles.
I don't know if CVP plays SFF2 style, but if so, having datalist of voices (MSB, LSB, PC numbers and Voice Name) this can be done.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Des O

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2023, 01:49:16 PM »
  ---- Mike,
Currently there are Voice lists for  Genos, Genos2, PSR-A5000,  PSR-SX600 / 700 / 900

---- Lee,

Great, glad you have it working!  Now all we need are some in-depth tutorials on how to fully use this app!
The "Easy" mode works to a certain extent,  as a start,  but we really have to manually edit the Style.

Jerry

There is from Yamaha
https://youtu.be/yYfPbMFM5wo?si=K27ZRdmhwObGNCXp

Offline andy_v

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2023, 02:03:11 PM »

Most of the current Genos styles are very good but they could be edited to make them better. This long awaited software is perfect for that. For example, in the Acoustic Jazz style, there is one bass note that reverts to a minor pentatonic - away from the major pentatonic, which is acceptable but not for some songs. This new software will make such edits easy, instead of hunting for each of those notes using the current editor on board the Genos.

Sadly, you can't open and edit style files in this new utility; you can open midi files and save style files.

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2023, 02:12:53 PM »
Sadly, you can't open and edit style files in this new utility; you can open midi files and save style files.
Nuts! So, where did the style come from in the demo video at https://youtu.be/yYfPbMFM5wo?si=K27ZRdmhwObGNCXp
I can only assume her MIDI file was created from scratch? If so, that's a major deal breaker. There's a huge difference between editing an already built style and having to create one from scratch. I guess there really is no free lunch :(.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 02:15:46 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »
Nuts! So, where did the style come from in the demo video at https://youtu.be/yYfPbMFM5wo?si=K27ZRdmhwObGNCXp
I can only assume her MIDI file was created from scratch? If so, that's a major deal breaker. There's a huge difference between editing an already built style and having to create one from scratch. I guess there really is no free lunch :(.

Ha. It seems there's more attention being paid to the free MIDI to Style converter than to the G2 itself. We do love free stuff (especially compared to the ~$5700 cost of a G2).
I'm betting YAMAHA could have given us this converter way before now for existing arrangers but instead waited to try and buffer the shock of what they want for a G2. Draw your own conclusions about that!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 02:52:38 PM by StuartR »

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2023, 03:04:54 PM »
Lee,
I have it working on the SX-900 too. There is a "Voice List" folder that you can download that contains .txt files for SX-900/700/600, A5000, Genos and Genos2.
By default, it loads the Genos 2 voice list, so just go to the menu, and Import the Voice List file for any of those keyboards.
Jerry

I have a PSR-SX900 too, but where can I find the the "Voice List" for that device. Please give the link or a copy of your file.

UPDATE!!
I already found the txt file myself.

Regards Ruud
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:18:28 PM by Duurduur »
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline robinez

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2023, 03:08:53 PM »
I have now spent a few hours on it and I am really blown away by the result, you can create one song style after another, it is so easy once you know the program. I connected my Genos 1 directly to it, so you can immediately hear what it sounds like on your Genos.

I have already transferred:
- volare
- rocking around the christmas tree
- piano man
- how deep is your love
and much more,

it's really a matter of dragging it in and then adjusting the markers if you don't think it's quite right. It will take you about 2 to 5 minutes per midi file to create a really good style once you know this program well. The program does all the rest for you.

If you consider that styles easily cost 12 euros each online, then this is a very good and cheap way to expand your keyboard with all those song styles once you have the midi file (and the internet is full of midi files). so that's not the problem anymore)

considering the questions above:
- you can't edit the midi notes
- you can revoice existing styles by renaming them to .mid and then dragging them in the editor.
- the revoicing can be done with the detailed edit page if needed.
- the sx900 voicelist is in the voicelist download on the yamaha songeditor page, just select edit - import voicelist in the program and select the sx900 file from that voicelist download

the voicelists for the supported models can be found on this yamaha page:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/apps/midisong_to_style/downloads.html

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:11:31 PM by robinez »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2023, 03:26:12 PM »
If you have a midi file and a computer , you could i would believe edit midi notes to your liking before converting. :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2023, 03:31:23 PM »
Ha. It seems there's more attention being paid to the free MIDI to Style converter than to the G2 itself. We do love free stuff (especially compared to the ~$5700 cost of a G2).
I'm betting YAMAHA could have given us this converter way before now for existing arrangers but instead waited to try and buffer the shock of what they want for a G2. Draw your own conclusions about that!

Well, the Style converter is really a big one and opens up a new world for you and what is underneath the hood is what counts for the end results. The Genos 2 is ahead of all other arrangers by a mile.
You are saying really ,"give the Natives a mirror and they will be happy as Larry" ;D  "Why not"! ;D "I'm happy"!! :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:35:21 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2023, 03:33:55 PM »
- you can revoice existing styles by renaming them to .mid and then dragging them in the editor.

Ooh I am gonna try this if I can figure out how to save a Style file off my Genos.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2023, 03:37:54 PM »
I am using the program on my PC. However I have nothing to select when I try to open the "MIDI Input Device". A drop down widow does not appear. Therefor I hear nothing.

When I select the "MIDI Output Device" there is a drop down window.

Does anybody have advice as to get my "MIDI Input Device" to give me an option to select so I can hear the midi file?

I have input a midi and saved it as a "sty". It does work on my S950 keyboard perfectly.

Do I need to have my keyboard connect to my PC in order to hear the midi play?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:46:35 PM by DrakeM »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2023, 03:49:44 PM »
WOW ... I just checked and ONE style this program created and it is UNLOCKED for editing.  ;D

It appears we can now edit the guitar and horn riffs in the LOCKED preset Yamaha styles.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
Hi Drake

Yes you need to connect your Keyboard to computer to use the program
You would also need the Steinberg driver as well which is all available on the Yamaha Genos 2 downloads
atb
John

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2023, 03:51:29 PM »
you can re-voice existing styles by renaming them to .mid and then dragging them in the editor.
That's a HUGE game changer!!!
So far, no one has mentioned where they get their MIDI files from. Building a MIDI file for a style is a huge task. If we can just rename one and modify it on the MIDI to Style software, that saves literally hours of work!!

Offline Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2023, 03:53:53 PM »
The Yamaha Midi to Style is fantastic. ;D
I installed everything, entered the midi file and I have the style ready.
After slight modifications, it plays perfectly on my Tyros 4.
A very good external program.
Regards
Richard
A day without making music is a lost day :)
https://psrtutorial.com/perf/ryszard.html

The following users thanked this post: Marty

Offline mikf

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2023, 04:23:25 PM »
Even if the keyboard eg the CVP705, is not on the list, presumably you could load one of the voice files from the nearest equivalent, then make the style and if necessary do a bit of voice editing on the keyboard. then it should work.
However, although it seems great, you do have to have the appropriate midi file to start from, and these are not that much easier to get than a style file.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2023, 05:06:07 PM »
The Yamaha Midi to Style is fantastic. ;D
I installed everything, entered the midi file and I have the style ready.
After slight modifications, it plays perfectly on my Tyros 4.
A very good external program.
Regards
Richard
You wrote, "I installed everything, entered the midi file and I have the style ready." Please tell me the source of your MIDI file. Thanks ;).