Author Topic: Next Keyboard. Yamaha or Korg  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Danny1972

Re: Next Keyboard. Yamaha or Korg
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
Thanks very much, Danny.  That was a very helpful video to judge how well the Korg style editing functions are designed.  I'm impressed. One last question:  I realize that judging and comparing the quality of voices between keyboards is a very subjective thing, but the one hesitancy I have about the PA5X is that it sounds like in most cases its acoustic sounds are not quite as realistic as on the Genos.  Do you personally find that to be the case?  And a related question:  if one wanted to, could a Korg style setting be modified to use a VST voice they might really like on a computer or even a voice available on another connected keyboard?

Hi sjmarano,

I can't really pick which one sounds more realistic as I like them both equally. The experience I have is when I am playing the Genos, I get mesmerised in it and I think it's the most beautiful and realistic sounding instrument, then I play the Pa5x and feel the same about that too. So really I can't choose!

However here's a couple of videos that gives a decent comparison between the two that may help you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSj0jwU5CU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2M1begz-ds

Offline sjmarano

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2023, 04:23:37 PM »
Thanks yet again, Danny!  I truly appreciate your responses and those of everyone else here.  Normally I would not ask questions about voice quality which of course is highly subjective.  But the challenge with these top-of-the-line arranger keyboards is that it is next to impossible to find any dealer who carries them on the floor for demo purposes.   So I basically have to rely upon YouTube and forums for insight.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2023, 05:32:50 PM »
hi sjmarano,
Even if you could compare keyboards in store, you could end up with a wrong decision. The thing is, there's usually not enough time (not to mention that you're disturbed by other customers or staff) and so it's impossible to detect important differences. For example, I tried Korg Pa5X in store (for few minutes) and it sounded like my SX700 to me -which is obviously wrong impression.
It takes days to judge the sound quality.. and that's why honest opinions from those who actually use keyboards of interest, is so important.
Being at that, I don't really trust Youtube keyboard comparisons that are made by stores.. because keep in mind: they only wish to sell what they show.

Greetings,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »

Yeah, we're down to several new G1's then we can't get anymore.
$4899 canada wide right now! Get em while you can!

I'm seriously considering one myself, since my main hope for the G2 was tons more expansion space. I was hoping for at least 5G in fact :1

Offline pjd

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »

I'm seriously considering one myself, since my main hope for the G2 was tons more expansion space. I was hoping for at least 5G in fact :1

Genos1 is a really fine instrument. (Keeping mine.)

Really, the transition from one product generation to another is a great time to buy a gen-1 instrument. I'm using that strategy for CSP.

BTW, Mark is at Tom Lee Music in Vancouver BC. He may be too shy to say so.  :D

-- pj
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 07:57:40 PM by pjd »

Offline kiplis

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2023, 10:58:28 AM »
Congrats on the Pa5x Boys; I'll see you on Korgforums.

I still love the Genos, but the Pa5x is a different animal and that's exactly what attracted me to it!

Best of luck with your new keyboards!

Hi,

it seems that my 25-year journey with Yamaha instruments is coming to an end, and I'm moving to the Korg camp.
This site has been a really useful source of information and I will probably miss this site more than I will miss the Yamaha instruments.
Korg apparently has similar sites, but which one would make the most sense (reliable) considering the upcoming PA5x player?

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2023, 11:05:50 AM »

Korg apparently has similar sites, but which one would make the most sense (reliable) considering the upcoming PA5x player?

I have no idea but if you do find one anywhere near as good as this forum please let me know!

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2023, 11:36:14 AM »

Here is one to try:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=90

and the Pa4 section:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=75

Korg Forums Main page: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: kiplis

Offline Keystar

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2023, 09:40:55 PM »

With some help from my fellow Yammies I finally got the push I needed to put in an order for a Genos 1. 😄 It was shown as “in stock” when I ordered from the Cosmo Music’s site (Richmond Hill GTA) but I just checked on the order status and it was shown as “out of stock” and the earliest I can get it would be Dec 5th. 😒 That probably means they are selling fast ?

I chose the Genos 1 over G2 or PA5X/4X because I think it offers the best value, all things considered, especially for someone like me who’s upgrading from a SX700.

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2023, 11:37:51 PM »
Hey Keystar:  Sounds like you made the right choice for your situation, the "1" is now a great deal.  Good luck.  Too bad about Cosmo,  they do stuff like that but it'll be worth the wait.
Genos 1     PA5X    Kawai MP7 88   Nautilus 73

The following users thanked this post: Keystar

Offline Yama

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2023, 08:49:58 PM »
I finally made the very difficult decision and purchased the Pa5X 88 for 4800 Euro. I of course waited a long time  for 88 key Genos and was truly sad as I sat and tried the G2 at the local store in Berlin.

I must say the G2 drew me in and I was impressed by the sounds, the styles and the ease of workability, but the plastic built and lack of 88 key were the deciding factors.

Korg Pa5X sounds amazing too, but it needs a lot of work and patience as it will be a steep learning curve for me.