Author Topic: Playlist in USB mode  (Read 1488 times)

Playlist in USB mode
« on: October 28, 2023, 03:03:18 PM »
Hi all,

I need to build a large playlist but doing it on the Genos is tedious. Can it be done in USB mode? I opened a new playlist I created and there was a text file. Adding registrations to it would be a nightmare. Seems playlist is a very poorly designed function unless I'm missing something here. Thanks!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Playlist in USB mode
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 03:28:49 PM »
I need to build a large playlist but doing it on the Genos is tedious. Can it be done in USB mode? I opened a new playlist I created and there was a text file. Adding registrations to it would be a nightmare. Seems playlist is a very poorly designed function unless I'm missing something here. Thanks!

A Playlist is a .tsv file which can easily be handled by any spreadsheet program. I find Google Sheets works the best.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 04:15:12 PM »
Thanks, Fred. Can it be created in Excel?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks, Fred. Can it be created in Excel?

It can be. You need a proper header row.

The best way I've found is to start with an existing Playlist. Then you see the format.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 10:14:27 PM »
Thanks Fred 👍.

Creating one on the Genos is like watching a pig on stilts.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 10:16:49 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline murrayb

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 01:25:01 PM »
Lee

You can create and edit playlists using YRM.

Check it out.

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 03:37:24 PM »
Thanks Murray, Never knew that!

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 06:24:40 PM »
I created a Playlist in Murray's program. To do this,

1) Saved all my registrations from the Genos in USB mode to my computer's SSD.
2) Opened Murray's program and created the list moving the files from my SSD D:\ drive to his program. (Note Murray's program only has selection from a C:\ drive. I manually added the D:\ drive path.)
3) The finished file was saved to a USB drive to the Genos USB area.

After opening the new playlist, I got an error message, "File not found or file name inappropriate." The Playlist was saved in Murray's program as a .tsv file. what went wrong? Thanks  ;).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 06:27:15 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
Hi Lee,

I have not yet used the Playlist creation feature with Murray Best's YRM program. However, you will certainly need to tell the program the actual location of the Registration Bank files (which the relevant playlist file should access on Genos). This means it's not about the file path (drive letter, folder, subfolder) on the computer, but on the keyboard.

If the Registration files are in the internal User drive of the Genos, the correct path is "C:/REGIST/[Folder Name]/[Subfolder Name]/RegistBank Name.rgt"

If the Registration files are on the first connected USB stick (displayed on the Genos as USB1), the correct path is "I:/[Folder Name]/[Subfolder Name]/RegistBankName.rgt"

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 09:16:23 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 09:14:18 PM »
That's probably where I went wrong, Chris!! I saw that path in Murray's program and assumed it was for the path in my PC. I'll try again. My Genos needs to be in USB mode, correct? Many thanks my friend!!

Online overover

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 09:31:22 PM »
Hi Lee,

What do you mean exactly by "USB mode"?

There is no special “USB mode” on Genos. You can access a connected USB stick in all File Selection displays in the same way (easily) as you can access the internal User drive. An important difference, however, is that you can create any folder on the USB stick directly in the root, while in the User drive there is still a folder specified by the System (depending on the file type) "in between".

For example, if you save a Registration file directly to the User drive (without creating a folder), the correct path (e.g. for a Playlist file) is "C:/REGIST/RegistBank Name.rgt"

For example, if you create a folder "My Registrations" (in the Registration File Selection display) in the User drive and save the Registration file "RegistBank Name" there, the correct path is "C:/REGIST/My Registrations/RegistBank Name.rgt"

Please also note that under Windows the backslash ( \ ) is used in path information, but the normal slash ( / ) is used in path information relating to the keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 09:38:38 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 09:46:28 PM »
Hi again, Chris.

Your suggestion worked!! I now have my desired playlist. By USB mode, I mean pressing Playlist on the Genos + Power On. When you bring up Murray's program, everything can be done on the PC because the Genos is now a USB drive on your PC. Much easier than the TERRIBLE playlist creator on the Genos! I hope they fixed that in Genos 2. Or better still, give us back the list function we had in the T5. Getting rid of that was the dumbest thing they could have done 🙄.

Online overover

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 09:55:21 PM »
Thanks for your detailed answer, Lee!

I hadn't considered that by "USB Mode" you might mean "USB Storage Mode" (as it is called in full). Now of course everything is clear. ;)

By the way, the disadvantage of USB Storage Mode is that you can only access the Genos User drive from the computer, but not a USB stick connected to the Genos. But if you have your Registration files in the User drive anyway, that's of course not a problem ...

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 10:05:29 PM »
I hadn't considered that by "USB Mode" you might mean "USB Storage Mode" (as it is called in full). Now of course everything is clear. ;)
Yes, thanks for clarifying that, Chris.

Agreed about the disadvantage. I have everything on the User drive. I've never opened the lower port to the USB drive! I should probably do that and use that drive as a portable USB backup drive. Make sense?

Online overover

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 11:50:49 PM »
Hi Lee,

The only advantage of the USB port on the bottom of the Genos is that the stick cannot be stolen so easily during live performances. Otherwise, all USB ports have equal rights, i.e. the stick connected first is recognized as "USB 1" (drive letter I:/).

Additional sticks will then be recognized as “USB 2” (J:/) and “USB 3” (K:/). It is important that a maximum of one USB stick is connected when the Genos is started. This is the only way to ensure that this stick (e.g. the one at the bottom port) is really recognized as "USB 1" / (I:/).

The current drive letter of a USB stick is saved in registrations when linking files (e.g. styles) that are on the USB stick. (And if the stick is later recognized under a different drive letter, the registrations in question will no longer work .)

In this context, I generally recommend always only working with one USB stick connected and not using the lower port (because only then can a stick connected to one of the upper USB ports be operated as "USB 1" (I:/).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 01:07:48 AM by overover »

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 12:54:16 AM »
Thanks again for the great advice Chris! If this keeps up, you'll need to send me a bill  ;D ;D ;D.