Author Topic: Does anyone use a Zenbook flip with the Genos?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline ugawoga

Does anyone use a Zenbook flip with the Genos?
« on: August 23, 2023, 08:24:49 PM »
Hi

I have weighed up  a lot of things and decided to not go for a IPAD 12.9 for music reading and other things.
I went for a Zenbook  Flip UX371..
Yes, for reading sheet music and movie editing.When i am not using it my other half can type and Print and do her photographs
I prefer Windows over the Apple stucture.
The spec is great with 16gig of ram and a SSD of a terrabyte with Oled vision. Also light and very portable.
Battery life not so great as the ipad but that is only a difference of 2 hours.
I hate the Ipad structure and transferring files having to use ITunes.
I hope this Flip top back is going to be worthwhile.
I had a 21 inch HP Slate all in one screen computer which was very cheap and worked great for reading music, but two years later i could not update the thing as it got slower and slower until the touch screen took ages to activate  and eventually everything turned into a static picture Lol.
Oh well ,that is down the dump now.
Anyone use a ZEN Flip?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 03:18:07 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline reya

Re: Does anyone use a Zenbook flip with the Genos?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 01:44:16 PM »
I used to have that HP slate 21, as well, but as you wrote yourself, they became slower and slower over time. I used mine for over 7 years though.

To me it was important to have a really BIG screen, allowing for two A4 pages to be displayed side by side in actual size. (ageing eyes)

So last year I switched to a MSI Cubi 5 mini PC with a 23.6" touch screen hooked up to it.

Very pleased with it.

Can't help you with the Zenbook though ...

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 03:07:48 PM »

So last year I switched to a MSI Cubi 5 mini PC with a 23.6" touch screen hooked up to it.

Very pleased with it.

Can't help you with the Zenbook though ...

Rudy

Nice Setup Rudy,
Can you give us any more info about your 23.6 "touch screen?
Thanks
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline reya

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 03:18:28 PM »
The screen is a Iiyama prolite T2435MSC
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 03:23:12 PM »
I don't have a Zenbook Flip, I'm still using an old Samsung Chromebook that has a 2:1 touch screen, 12" diagonal display, that works well with Mobile Sheets. However, I got a notice that Chrome will no longer update this device started Aug. 2023, not good. I only use this device for music reading, so I'll keep on using it, until it no longer lets me.

Therefore I'm looking around for something new, and the Zenbook Flip is a nice device, but I prefer a 2:1 display over widescreen. 2:1 displays have been difficult to find.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 12:52:28 AM »
Hi
I liked the Zenbook as you can fold the the Laptop into a Tablet and then use it upright to read music.
Also i like Musicsheets,nice and easy to use.
It is also fast enough for a host of other things. The specs look great.
Oh well i will find out next week as it will be delivered.
Here in the UK you get 24 months zero interest , so you can keep the money in the bank earning good interest at the moment.
I am just wondering if anyone else useses one :)

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 02:52:05 PM »
Looks like you're the guy. We'll wait for your review.
I'm sure it will be awesome.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 12:01:21 PM »
Hi
Report back

I have got the Zenbook and what quality. It is built like a tank. Metal casing and looks great. Built to USA military standard. Gold writing on outer lid and gold trims all around Nice key actions and another pad at front for working with numbers                                               
Classy bit of kit.  It does get a little warm after a while but i had it in high performance mode. I adjusted that as for general use you do not need such high performance as for gaming. I suppose for high perfomance you can get laptop cooler pads with fans. For vertical postioning the vents are at the side, so great.
I did have a lot of trouble updating it due to a Microsoft issue, but i solved it.
It proved to me that the unit was a 2022 version. No 2023 version yet. After a sfc/scannow, It said there were a few anomalies, but Windows fixed them. "Relief".
It probably had something to do with it not being updated for a while. The whole package was factory sealed and the packaging was classy as well.
My first impression is how clear the screen is and quite fast in operation it is.
I was in two minds about this as the Ipad 12.9 looked also looked a great proposition
The ipad with a case around it would be easier to rest on the Genos stand, but would be a lot of money just to use it as a Sheet music reader.
So i went for the ASUS Zenbook flip UX371  13.5 inch screen.
It is an I7 machine 16gig ram and one Terrabyte SSD drive.
The price £1,500 including 3 years full cover warranty.
the screen folds back and then looks like a tablet. The keys on type keyboard are flat but i would think you would have to be careful when placing it in a vertical position on a stand no to do any possible damage to the typewriting surface. The lid is tighter than most laptops ,but it does not flop.
I have looked all over the net to try and get a stand reader for it and nothing fitted the bill.
My other half said , why not a cook book stand. Uh!, i will look into that.
I ordered one from Amazon and the ASUS will fit nicely on the wooden stand with a adequate lip to rest it in a vertical position. Adjustable stand at back fully notched so nothing can slip.
I shall get one of those protect surface mats to stick on the cookbook stand and the ASUS will sit nicely and comfy on it all for £20.
This is great for the studio, but an Ipad is the way to go if you are gigging.
The advantage of what i have done is that i can do music, film editing , use word and have USB port to make system images and send things also out to a separate hardrive. Also i prefer Windows 11.
By the way the ASUS is very light and portable and you also get a proper leather case to put it in.

Between a laptop and Ipad, it is personal preference

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 12:15:12 PM by ugawoga »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 03:41:30 PM »
Great review. ASUS makes quality products. It seems like a perfect multi functional set up to use as a reader, editor, along with the standard everyday chores. Looks like you made a good choice. But I agree, may not be best for gigging, where the iPad is near perfect, but for at home studio use, the Zenbook Flip is a good choice.
Thanks John
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 03:42:45 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings