Author Topic: the shadows of new Genos?  (Read 9407 times)

Offline mikf

Re: the shadows of new Genos?
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2023, 10:54:33 AM »
There has been endless chatter about a new Genos on this forum for about 3 years, with some posters almost at desperation level. But when push comes to shove how many will actually upgrade their current Genos.  History shows not many. In the heyday of the Tyros series, with upgrades every few years, most opted to stay with what they had for a bit longer when a new one came out. Maybe they upgraded after a couple of new models.
They weighed up the changes, how many of these changes actually mattered to them, against the cost and hassle of change…… and then did nothing. New voices were seldom a massive difference, and the new styles  were easily obtained anyway.
I believe vast majority of latest Tyros were bought by people new to arrangers, people upgrading much older or lower level models, or people playing competitors keyboards, and not people who already owned the current Tyros model. If you were three or more models of Tyros ‘out of date’ the changes added up and upgrade became more attractive.
Will this be different? Well the time between upgrades has been much longer than in the past, so maybe, and of course it is going to depend on how radical the upgrade is. But I still think history will largely repeat and in the first year only a handful of Genos owners on this forum will have upgraded - despite all the chatter. But maybe this new model will be so mind blowing it will be different.  8)
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2023, 11:51:08 AM »
Yes Russ,
 They will both be there. Martin attends most of these events anyway which used to be hosted by The Yamaha Club which was run by Glynn Madden but he retired this year.

Offline pjd

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2023, 06:38:00 PM »
There has been endless chatter about a new Genos on this forum for about 3 years, with some posters almost at desperation level. But when push comes to shove how many will actually upgrade their current Genos.  History shows not many.
Mike

Good points, Mike. Good heavens, Genos is a fine musical instrument. It's my playing that stinks.  :)  It would take quite a lot to get me to chase GENOS2.

Upgrading my piano skills -- that's a different story -- pj

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2023, 11:46:44 PM »
Whhaaaaat!!!! I am in for the Genos 2 asap!! :)
LIke Eileen says "You can't take it with you"!!!
Enjoy yourself, whilst your'e still in the pink!! :) ;D ;D ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2023, 09:07:17 AM »
My family are counting on me not taking it with me - or spending it! ;D 8) ???
Mike

Offline ton37

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2023, 10:12:42 AM »
Well, (allow me some introspection) when it comes to whether you become a better musician if you buy a 'Genos 2', then that would be quite disappointing. I myself don't develop my playing skills, on the contrary .. the years have started to count. But on the other hand, there is still a lot of fun to be had. For me, then: exploring a new 'gadget'. Nice to be involved with that. That is simply at the expense of actual music theory, but who cares, I'm a home player? Do you drive better from A to B with a new car? Is it better to call with an advanced smartphone?  We live in a consumer community and as long as you can afford it, the community lives accordingly. So... if there's a 61 Genos it's for me. If it is a big one, I have to scratch my head? When I'm finished playing (literally) it goes away again and return to my SX900. In other words, I comply with what producers want me to do: buy because it's new and I like exploring that... I only live once. Am I unique in this way of thinking? Don't think so .. (meant rhetorically) ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2023, 10:44:54 AM »
Hi
Well, If you get a new car it should be more comfortable and driving from A to B is more of a pleasure unless you live in London or a big Capital. ;D ;D
I just hope the new Genos has a better way of making styles that you do not need a masters degree to construct them.
Seamless switching is also a must. Visual Eq would be great.
Improvments on Electric guitars and orchestra's and Brass.
Cut out the Do-Be-Do- BAH! rubbish and have decent choirs. That is what i want.
Practice every day and learn a little more software. "This is the way"!!
I know what you want is different to what i want, but wanting something different is what we all want or not want :)
It is great to be able to look forward, it would be a ton more fun. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 10:57:38 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2023, 11:09:18 AM »
: exploring a new 'gadget'. Nice to be involved with that.
We all have different motivations, for me the hassle of having to learn a 'new gadget' is a big driver for not changing! I find myself more and more being back at the piano rather than the CVP because sometimes I can't even be bothered with the hassle of remembering (or not remembering) all the foibles of the gadget I already have. I hear a song in my head and just want to sit down and play it, no menu selections, no messing with controls or set ups.
Mike

Offline pjd

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2023, 05:55:53 PM »
Well, (allow me some introspection) when it comes to whether you become a better musician if you buy a 'Genos 2', then that would be quite disappointing.

Totally agree with that point. Genos1 and MODX (gen 1) are good enough for me.

As to real need, I'm (occasionally) expected to sub for our pianist and play an acoustic grand. As to not taking it with me, ahem, I'm trying out as many digital pianos as I can. (Environmental conditions in our house would trash an acoustic instrument.) I can definitely use a good DP at home to work out arrangements and such. Even the "practice" that I get by trying out instruments has been beneficial already.

It's like the old joke, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"  :)

All the best -- pj

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2023, 01:39:13 AM »
-speaking for me, I'm not sure how to interpret such info (if it's even worth interpreting).
Ok, not that I'm naysayer, but if I remember correctly, the same was said in this forum last year: that P. Baartman is booked for late autumn in 2022 for the same (Genos) reason.
Now, if I ask "do you have booking info and the reason for it, directly from P.Baartman or...", the answer would probably be something like "my friend got that info from a dealer who has reliable source...".

Don't get me wrong: I wish that there would be some great low priced keyboard soon -but don't interpret that as a fact  ;)

Have you changed your mind by your later post 😉

The new name seems to be Genos2 //Y2 -which was removed from the list in last day or two.
If you take a look on source page at Yamaha Singapore, then you can see the following (increasing number) pattern:
138850 = GENOS //EX
143637 = PSR-SX700
143638 = PSR-SX900
145174 = PSR-SX600
149496 = GENOS2 //Y2 -this was removed

To me, this is so far the most believable proof that Genos2 is on the way .. prepare your wallets  ;D

Bogdan

Bogdan

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2023, 09:46:06 AM »
Have you changed your mind by your later post 😉
About what? About gossips that Genos successor will come one day?
Gossips about Genos successor are spreaded in this forum for at least two years. They're still gossips even if now someone says "I told you so" (because we all assumed that sooner or later, it will happen). And in such case, at some point, the last gossip eventually becomes reality :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2023, 11:02:01 AM »
Oxford
Just a small point about forum protocol. When using a quote, make sure that you type your comments outside the quote. Otherwise everything is inside the blue box and the reader cannot easily distinguish which are your comments and which are the quoted points.
You can also edit inside the quote to avoid using the whole thing, so it becomes clear what points you are referring to.
If you look at Bogdan’s last post you can see he has done both these things before posting, and how much clearer it is.
You can press the preview button before posting to view what it will all look like when posted, then further edit if necessary, before posting.
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2023, 11:26:26 AM »
Oxford
Just a small point about forum protocol. When using a quote, make sure that you type your comments outside the quote. Otherwise everything is inside the blue box and the reader cannot easily distinguish which are your comments and which are the quoted points.
You can also edit inside the quote to avoid using the whole thing, so it becomes clear what points you are referring to.
If you look at Bogdan’s last post you can see he has done both these things before posting, and how much clearer it is.
You can press the preview button before posting to view what it will all look like when posted, then further edit if necessary, before posting.
Mike
Sounds a bit Irish ;D "What's the point Paddy"! "Quote" "I thought protocol was a headache tablet" ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:30:18 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2023, 12:21:29 AM »
About what? About gossips that Genos successor will come one day?
Gossips about Genos successor are spreaded in this forum for at least two years. They're still gossips even if now someone says "I told you so" (because we all assumed that sooner or later, it will happen). And in such case, at some point, the last gossip eventually becomes reality :)

Bogdan

The other day, you were dismissive about my observations regarding comments from a dealer and someone who is quite well known in Yamaha circles. You now refer to it as “gossips”

In another thread you posted,  “To me, this is so far the most believable proof that Genos2 is on the way .. prepare your wallets  ;D

Perhaps you’re adding to the gossip yourself that you’re quick to dismiss the views of others

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2023, 08:45:55 AM »
The other day, you were dismissive about my observations regarding comments from a dealer and someone who is quite well known in Yamaha circles. You now refer to it as “gossips”
And I stand to that -the reason is in my post that you quoted.

Perhaps you’re adding to the gossip yourself...
You might be right on this... maybe I was carried away too quickly by the fact, that new (Genos) product was actually mentioned on official Yamaha web site.

At the end, we're just discussing...
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2023, 10:14:28 AM »
All Cloak and Dagger!! ;D

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2023, 10:45:55 AM »
At least, it is now (99.999% :-) )sure that Yamaha didn't plan to stop "Arranger" line of product.

They even just created a trademark "Arranger workstation" ...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2023, 11:51:51 AM »
"The Shadow is getting bigger or is it a Blue Moon :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2023, 12:23:10 PM »
Que for a song. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D