Author Topic: New Montage M - maybe some features will make it to Genos II??  (Read 2760 times)

Offline jimlaing

New Montage M - maybe some features will make it to Genos II??
« on: October 10, 2023, 04:43:59 AM »
Just saw this ... (link below) - maybe a few of these features will end up in the Genos II?
Montage M just introduced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnf5-4tBFzQ

J
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline jimlaing

Re: New Montage M - maybe some features will make it to Genos II??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 04:51:38 AM »
For example, at 15:35 in the video (original post), they say the Montage now has "VCM rotary", which does sound much better for Leslie on drawbar sounds, compared to current Genos.  Also, they say the sounds can have many more elements or layers in this new Montage; making for some better piano sounds - maybe that could make it to Genos II??  (we can hope for some of these things anyway!).  -J
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 04:54:45 AM »
I  read through the Data List.

Lots of pianos which were formerly user downloads, including the recently released character pianos.

Organ drawbars are probably still AWM2, not modeled. Montage M gets a new rotary speaker effect block and rotary speaker effect type. From the Stage YC? [After more reading, it is.]

AN-X likely requires a heavy weight signal processor which Yamaha might not be inclined to add to the Genos platform. They could finally add FM-X, however.

I’m turning in for the night… :)

All the best — pj
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 10:53:06 PM by pjd »

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 08:11:57 AM »
So far after having a Montage 7 Mk1 for sometime now, I am feeling positive about much of the information coming through. The only thing I find perplexing from Yamaha is.. No Poly-AT for M6/7, although I believe there is external control for this...

I do think Yamaha are going to get their pants pulled down over this, so perhaps we will see a re-enactment of Korg Nautilus with their adaptation of AT kit's sometime in the future?

For now, there is no decision for Montage M until I have seen and played Genos 2 or a pending miracle to resolve PA5X...

Interesting and exciting times ahead. :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 08:43:38 AM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 09:39:30 AM »
This new syntheziser seems to be a very nice instrument for professional studio musicians.
This syntheziser looks to demand a lot of technical synth knowledge and handling, am I right ?

IMHO some Montage M's features might be useful for the Genos2 as long as the Genos2 stays a plug and play arranger ( especially for our 90% home players ! ). ;) 

JH

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
Polyphonic aftertouch allows to trigger articulation on individual note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP427ZJLiUo at 13:10

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 09:47:53 AM »
This new syntheziser seems to be a very nice instrument for professional studio musicians.
This syntheziser looks to demand a lot of technical synth knowledge and handling, am I right ?

IMHO some Montage M's features might be useful for the Genos2 as long as the Genos2 stays a plug and play arranger ( especially for our 90% home players ! ). ;) 

JH

Like all things, if you are open to learning, then this is open to all, you can swim on the surface, dive deep, or anything in-between, the choice is always yours to explore ;) :)

https://youtu.be/6WGAefKb7V0?si=0uRpYk2uUqAKhjBU
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 09:53:36 AM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 10:19:19 AM »
Most arranger players are no synth buyers, I guess.
Arranger players want styles, IMO.
JH
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 01:09:42 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »
Most arranger players are not synth buyers, I guess.
Arranger players want styles, IMO.
JH

Absolutely and lots of them (styles)...

About 65% of my synth time I use to expand and layer sounds on arrangers, its great fun and very rewarding  :)

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 10:13:37 PM »

JH

Jeff,
You are correct on all of the above.

I've mentioned here on this forum before that I had a MODX7+ synth for about 6 months before switching to SX900. I do a little more than plug and play, so I did some cool creative sound altering & layering on MODX, However, to dive deep in sound creation requires a sound engineer/technical mindset in my opinion. The interface, while neatly presented in a nice grid format, still is quite busy and confusing. Also to create rhythm and arpeggio patterns on MODX is highly confusing with not many tutorials available. The Scene buttons can act as arranger Variation buttons if you know how to expertly program them to do so.

As for the new Montage: this appears to be a refinement, not a full blown re-design. They made some interface tweaks and improvements, improved polyphony, doubled the library slots, added many more elements (waveforms) to one performance part, added the analog engine and a new quick edit panel screen with knobs. All the extra elements theoretically means a more detailed sound.

The bottom line for less technical arranger users curious about the Montage: It is much easier to go into Yamaha's StyleCreator to tweak, change, re-record over rhythms, patterns, phrases etc. than it is on MODX/Montage. Regarding new MontageM voices migrating to a new Genos, it's comparing apples and oranges. At best, Yamaha might incorporate some new ready-made more detailed piano voices, organs, strings as much as the new Genos specs would allow. But per the original poster's comment, we should not expect analog engines and synth editing control anywhere near what the Montage can do.

Rich
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 10:20:56 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 11:01:09 PM »
No Poly-AT for M6/7, although I believe there is external control for this...

Hi Tommy --

Yeah, this is completely crazy! Put polyphonic aftertouch (PAT) on the model intended for piano players. I'm about to swear my head off, so I better stop.

The only thing I can figure -- the 61- and 73-key PAT keybeds weren't ready in time for market. The MIDI spec in the Data List PDF is "to be announced." I wonder how much is left to be done? I also wonder if Yamaha is working on a super-duper PAT/MPE capable keybed for an M6x and M7x? Field upgrade like the Nautilus?

That's all I can guess -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Tommy 73

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 11:05:04 PM »
I agree almost 100% with Rich's comments.

The missing fraction? I haven't had time to compare the Montage M waveforms against gen 1. To me, that's the sonic DNA (or clay) to play with.

All the best -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-m8x-initial-take/

Offline nonchai

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 07:21:51 PM »
Sonically and workflow wise this is a great improvement.

But sadly no improvement to the MIDI sequencing aspects :(

so won’t/can’t bite.

Of course would have been nice it they’d also just included the ability to play/use yamaha arranger styles.. ( a bit like the old QY series did ) ... but no..

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 11:29:39 AM »
Yesterday I managed to put my hands on M8x for a demo and I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of the new keybed ( better than PA5X-88 ), my usual configuration is a semi-weighted (FATAR) PA5X 76, not a hammer action...

This has left a surprising impression on me after my 2hrs demo and now I am thinking really hard about changing my rig round to accommodate the M8x as my main master keyboard, this is going to require a studio rebuild if I do...

So, the tape measure and sketch pad is out...

Also, I need to do some tests with MIDI with my 1st Gen Montage 7, which runs as a slave unit to my main Master keyboard if the M8x becomes the centre of my rig...

What ever the result, either a M8x (in a new configuration) or a M6 (present setup) will replace my 1st Gen Montage 7...

The next pending question, will the Genos 2 replace my PA5X?...

To be continued......

P.s. Initially I had settled in my mind to go with the M6, despite all the the Poly-AT discussion, but, after watching this weeks Youtube Pro-Synth Network Show, including the presenters of the show enthusiastic discussion about the Montage M, this then had me in the car at 6am the following day and off for a 3hrs drive to test the M8x....the rest is history as they say, now I have to decide pending the above consideration.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:58:59 AM by Tommy 73 »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 05:58:59 AM »
Just a little update while we wait for the next generation Genos to be announced...

Midi test successfull...

My Montage 7 (Gen.1) is going, and today I will be ordering an M8x....

I am looking forward to the next 7 years making music with this evolving Montage M series. In many ways, this M series should have perhaps been released as a 1st Generation Montage, but that is all irrelevant now...

P.s. Looks like a tin of corned-beef for Christmas and definitely keeping the old car now (!)  :)