Author Topic: Bb6 in prs-sx700  (Read 1274 times)

Offline DoggyD

Bb6 in prs-sx700
« on: June 21, 2023, 09:58:59 AM »
Hi everyone- I am totally stuck - how do I play an Bflat6 chord on the psr-sx 700. When I play the Bflat chord and add the G the G is not part of the chord but the right hand ?
Thanks
Mark

Offline Duffy

Re: Bb6 in prs-sx700
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 10:16:25 AM »
Is it your keyboard split that needs moving higher up?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 10:20:41 AM »
Hi everyone- I am totally stuck - how do I play an Bflat6 chord on the psr-sx 700. When I play the Bflat chord and add the G the G is not part of the chord but the right hand ?
Thanks
Mark

Change your Split Point, or play the chord one octave lower.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DoggyD

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 08:30:04 PM »
Hi Thanks I will look into changing the split point

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 10:28:00 AM »
You don't have enough keys to play Bb6 an octave lower! So do set Style&Left split points to G2 and Right 3 to Ab2. While you're doing that, if you're playing chords like Bb6 I'd recommended setting the fingering mode to AI Fingered mode. 'Transparent' to all normal chords but great for playing 'slash chords' like C/Bb or G/B etc, and also for rootless versions of 9ths and 13ths - plus 'exotica' like Cm9/F!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 01:09:17 PM »
Depends on the voice/situation but often it’s easier and sounds better to add these extended chord notes in a rh chord.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 05:27:05 PM »
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

You could also try playing the note G below, i.e. G-Bb-D-F. Then you get the Gm7 chord. But the chord notes are identical to the Bb6 chord, only the bass is different. However, this may still fit the song being played.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 11:18:29 AM »
A Gm7 may be the same notes as Bb6, so it won’t scream discord, but in most cases the bass note is important in the overall musical feel of a chord progression. So using just a Bb without the 6th might actually sound better than the alternative with note G as the bass. You have to judge.
These additional chord notes make a great difference in some playing. For example piano players use both hands and how they add the additional notes can make the playing so much more professional. Good players will be using 6ths, 9ths, flattened 5ths etc all the time and sound amazing. But on arranger auto accompaniment sometimes the difference is hardly noticeable - especially if the chord is held  for only a beat or two. 
So is it really worth the effort of technical correctness in concocting a difficult lh position? You  have to listen and decide. Bear in mind that the extra difficulty for the lh may mean you don’t play that passage as smoothly or as well, so the questionable gain of playing the technically correct chord is sometimes more than offset.
Another thing to watch for is sometimes the chord additions are just recognizing that the 6th appears in the melody, so it’s not important to add it to the chord.
Overall, the important thing is that the object of playing music is to sound good, not to be technically correct. 8)
Mike