Author Topic: Genos know hardware issues.  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Dievas

Genos know hardware issues.
« on: January 20, 2023, 04:03:23 PM »
I just bought a Genos after saving for a long time. I would like to know if it is a reliable instrument and if there are any known quality issues in order to keep it or not.

Keybed, switches, screen, knobs, etc. Everything reliable?

I bought a PSR A5000 last year but the machine had keybed issues (noisy keys)

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:04:35 PM by Dievas »

Offline DerekA

Re: Genos know hardware issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 04:17:47 PM »
Oh you are opening up a can of worms here. Get ready for a deluge.

It seems to me that the experience varies between users. Lots of people complain that the Genos matt surface marks easily, or gets greasy spots. Some say the text on the buttons rubs off. And for some people the actual buttons snap off.

Personally, I've not had any of those issues - but for people who are affected, it can be quite a big deal at this price point.

I'm not aware of any reliability issues being reported about the keybed or the touchscreen. Doesn't mean there are none - just that it's not something I see coming up on this forum, unlike the other complaints.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »
From what I've read, Genos is quite reliable keyboard and it doesn't degrade over the time of use (if it's not abused). The only thing you need to pay attention are buttons, because it can happen you break some. The thing is, buttons are hinged at upper end, and so it's better that you push them at lower end (closer to you). And I think it's also a good advice to wash hands before playing -to make sure there are no remains of "moisture" (or whatever) creme on your hands. Other than that, there were no complains.

About noisy keys on PSR... well, they become noisy on PSR-SX too, but one can easy fix that by greasing keys properly.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Dievas

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 06:46:42 PM »
Thanks guys. Very handy information.

I like the keybed and the switches A LOT.

The only thing that seems very low quality to me are the knobs and sliders. They are very weak. I had expected the knob slider shafts to be metal. The three assignable knobs on the Medeli AKX10 have a metal shaft, for example. They are very robust.
The construction quality in general seems too fragile to me for a 4.400 euros keyboard.
On the other hand the sound is heavenly. No doubt about this.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 06:48:55 PM by Dievas »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 12:11:35 AM »
I have had my Genos since it first came out and have had no problems at all. It has had a lot of use but still looks new.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 07:48:13 AM »
Hello,
I confirm, the Genos is an excellent arranger, the top of the range in its category at Yamaha.
As with any instrument and the like, it must be well maintained and the previous advice in this direction is very judicious.
Clean hands, balanced play, dusting, transport in good conditions if necessary are essential.
A fragility, however: it lies in the thinness of the connection pins of the sound system despite the connection guide.
Considering the price you paid for it, I deduce that this model is new, therefore under warranty.
During this period, you will have time to make up your mind.
Last point, before buying a good of any kind, I always consult the opinion of consumers and it is only when it is positive that I make up my mind. I don't wonder afterwards.
Have a good week-end
Christian

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 06:49:46 PM »
I love my Genos, and after four years from purchase I cannot make any major complaint.

The only problem I have has to do do with the greasy spots on the surface that I have not been able to clean at all. This is a Genos problem: I had so many arrangers, from Korg and Roland, always flagships, and never happened anything similar. My hands hygiene never changed, so.....

Can anybody suggest a successful method to get rid of this unpleasant inconvenience? Obviously statements from people who did not have this issue would be just useless.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 07:31:57 PM »
Angelo, try using Endust for Electronics. Spray it on a microfiber cloth and wipe those spots away, safely.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 07:33:35 PM »
I have had no problems with my Genos apart from the fact that it gets spots on the surface. But all instruments will eventually show signs of use.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 08:08:14 PM »
Gary,

thank you so much for your advice. I'll try to find the product you mentioned. Hope I can find it in Italy.

Toril,

I kindly disagree: I had so many keyboards in my long life, and NEVER had such a problem with any brand/model. Every time I sold an arranger (replaced by a new one), my instruments where always mint, like new. This issue must have to do with the material/finish Yamaha used for Genos.

Ciao, and thank you guys

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 10:42:32 PM »
Yes, Angelo, I also think the brushed, matt finish is the problem in the case of Genos. It wears down, and shiny spots are the result.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 09:09:40 PM »
John likes shiny spots and sparkles ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:11:45 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline hans1966

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 03:12:45 AM »
Hi guys, I have the same problem with my SX900.

I don't know what product to buy to clean it.

Even on the screen there are traces.

I bought a liquid for computer screens called "SCREEN CLEANER" and made a little on a glasses cloth that I have left exclusively for my SX900, but nothing happens.
I appreciate any help or suggestion.

regards

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 04:51:00 AM »
No problems here regarding Genos cleaning at all.

I only use a microfiber cloth, which I moisten with a few drops of water if necessary. Such microfiber "all-purpose" towels can be found very cheaply, e.g. in supermarkets. (See also the attached picture.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 12:40:40 PM »
I do the same Chris and it works very well. Also cleans the screen a treat. Do the same on my I Pad.

Offline Dievas

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 05:36:17 PM »
In short, there are no hardware issues, but there are cleaning issues. LOL.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 07:35:56 PM »
Yes😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.