Author Topic: Genos and Ventilator II rotary simulator  (Read 1400 times)

Offline soryt

Genos and Ventilator II rotary simulator
« on: January 10, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
A few years ago i made a movie with the Lester K unit on the Genos and it sounds very nice , after that i bought a Nord 5D and the drawbarsound was so much better than the Genos with the Lester , last year i switched the nord for a YC61 and with the new update the drawbarsound is even better than the Nord, suddenly i found a second hand Ventilator II unit for a nice price and i was just curios what it can improve on the YC61 or the Genos . To be clear , on the YC are the Rotary effects and the drawbars better without the Ventilator , on the Genos it is a realy great improvement . I made 2 movies  for example  , the first with only the Genos and the second with the  YC and the Genos with Ventilator II unit ( dont forget to like and to click on subscribe)  ;D

https://youtu.be/NZR3LNzJgz0

https://youtu.be/ztcfp5ro-pc
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline pjd

Re: Genos and Ventilator II rotary simulator
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 11:16:10 PM »
Thanks! Nice work with the demonstrations.

The videos show what I think is the relatively "thin" sound of the Genos internal rotary speaker effect. Both the Vent II and the YC are darned good and sound more realistic than the internal DSP effect. I like (de)acceleration with the Vent II. It sold me on the extra knob controls on the Vent II vs. the Mini Vent. I think I would like to control the ramp and speeds myself, if I had a Vent.

I played the Lester K video, too. I have a Lester K. The Vent II and YC have it beat. Lester's high speed is too "swirly" and I've not been able to tame it. The Vent II and YC have better overdrive although Lester's overdrive beats Genos.

Listening and forming opinions is so very subjective.  :)

Thanks -- pj

keynote

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 02:08:05 PM »
I did watch and listen to the videos and the Vent II really helps improve the Genos organs big time. The Vent II is better than the YC Stage Keyboard Leslie rotary effect, although the YC is very good too.

NEWS FLASH! I really think that Yamaha has big plans for the Genos 2 organs, including the Leslie rotary effect. Hopefully, they'll include a similar Leslie rotary effect on the Genos 2 that's currently on the YC Stage Organ Keyboard with the 1.2 OS update. Yamaha has recently demonstrated they can compete with the big boys regarding realistic Leslie rotary sound effects such as the Nord Electro 6D, Nord Stage 3, Hammond Suzuki XK-5, etc. I don't know what took Yamaha so long to figure it out, but perhaps they recently hired some personnel with expertise in that particular field, and the results have been amazing to say the least. Hopefully, it will be carried over to the top-of-the-line arranger segment starting with the Genos 2/II or whatever they decide to call it.  8)

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 05:35:01 PM »
A fundamental obstacle is that the Yamaha Synth developers and the Yamaha Arranger keyboard / Genos developers are two different teams who are very reluctant to let each other "see their cards", i.e. each department "cooks its own soup". (At least that was the case up until a few years ago when I had more contact with Yamaha Germany and the Genos developers.) Each team could learn a lot from the other team if they worked together more.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 01:46:00 PM »
A fundamental obstacle is that the Yamaha Synth developers and the Yamaha Arranger keyboard / Genos developers are two different teams who are very reluctant to let each other "see their cards", i.e. each department "cooks its own soup". (At least that was the case up until a few years ago when I had more contact with Yamaha Germany and the Genos developers.) Each team could learn a lot from the other team if they worked together more.
Best regards,
Chris
Agreed but instead of Yamaha engaging in interdepartmental bickering and secrecy, they should try listening to what their customers want. The organs are terrible on the Genos! I watched the VII demo and it makes a huge difference to the Genos' pathetic B3 sounds. It also costs $679 plus tax. Why do I need to invest that kind of extra money all because Yamaha puts substandard organ sounds in a $6,000 keyboard?

This is a Classic example of where marketing steps all over engineering. Fire the current marketing team and hire a team who listens for a change!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.