Author Topic: OTS Link question  (Read 2317 times)

Offline brucerez

OTS Link question
« on: October 17, 2022, 11:38:47 PM »
In Style mode, the OTS Link is ON, Intro 1 selected, Main A (blinking orange color) selected and ready to be played after the Intro 1.
I have Piano voice for right hand that I play during the Intro 1 and String voice assigned to OTS 1 (which corresponds to Main A).

My issue:
When I play piano with the Intro 1 and then the style switches to Main A, the voice isn't switching to the String voice, it keeps the Piano voice.

Is there any workaround for this kind of situation?

Thank you for any help/info.

Offline brucerez

Re: OTS Link question
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 04:54:46 PM »
DIRECT ACCESS > OTS LINK > STYLE SETTING > Real Time > selected ON/OFF

Thank you for your suggestion.
I checked the option Real Time in Style Setting but couldn't find it on my PSR-A5000 (please see screen shot).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 08:03:25 PM »
Change OTS Link Timing from Real time to Next Bar.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 08:29:43 PM »
Change OTS Link Timing from Real time to Next Bar.

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks Fred for the reply.

I checked on my keyboard but unfortunately there is not Next Bar option.

In OTS Link Timing I have only 2 options;
1- Immediate
2- At Main Section Change.

Shown in screen shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 08:36:19 PM »
Hi brucerez,

Please read the description of the "OTS Link Timing" and "Section Change Timing" items in PSR-A5000 Reference Manual, pages 13/14. There you should find all needed information.

If you don't have the Reference Manual, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-a5000/downloads.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 09:12:58 PM »
Hi brucerez,

Please read the description of the "OTS Link Timing" and "Section Change Timing" items in PSR-A5000 Reference Manual, pages 13/14. There you should find all needed information.

If you don't have the Reference Manual, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-a5000/downloads.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you Chris for the info.
I read the Reference Manual page 13 and 14 and then tried different setup on my keyboard but no luck.
With different setup in OTS setting and Behavior, when the Intro finishes playing back and Main A starts, the Piano voice stays and does not change to String voice (which is assigned to Main A). The OTS Link is ON.

Note:
The Piano voice that I choose when I play with INTRO is assigned to one of the Registration memory and the String voice is linked to Main A.
So I am just wondering if it causes the problem. What do you think?

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 03:40:15 PM »
Hi brucerez,

To get straight to the point: I don't believe in working with OTS and Registrations at the same time (in the same song). Just switch off OTS LINK and work exclusively with Registrations.

The reason for the problem you describe might be the following: When OTS LINK is active, your (direct) pressing of a Main Variation button activates the corresponding OTS (Main A > OTS 1, etc.). In your case, however, the relevant Main Variation was already activated beforehand (and thus initially also the "correct" OTS). Then a specific Intro was activated (which doesn't change the current OTS). But now you change the keyboard voices by loading a Registration. These voices are retained even if the keyboard switches automatically back to Main A after playing the Intro. To bring up the previous OTS again, you would have to press the Main A button again.

As I said, I would switch off OTS LINK and only work with registrations. Memorize the desired Main variation with the desired activated Intro, possibly Sync Start, and the Piano sound on Reg button #1. On Reg button #2 memorize the same Main Variation, possibly with activated Fill-in, without Sync Start, and with the Strings sound. If you then need the Strings sound after playing the Intro, just switch to Reg button #2 (manually or, if the Registration Sequence function is activated, via a foot switch), and everything is fine. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
Hi brucerez,

To get straight to the point: I don't believe in working with OTS and Registrations at the same time (in the same song). Just switch off OTS LINK and work exclusively with Registrations.

The reason for the problem you describe might be the following: When OTS LINK is active, your (direct) pressing of a Main Variation button activates the corresponding OTS (Main A > OTS 1, etc.). In your case, however, the relevant Main Variation was already activated beforehand (and thus initially also the "correct" OTS). Then a specific Intro was activated (which doesn't change the current OTS). But now you change the keyboard voices by loading a Registration. These voices are retained even if the keyboard switches automatically back to Main A after playing the Intro. To bring up the previous OTS again, you would have to press the Main A button again.

As I said, I would switch off OTS LINK and only work with registrations. Memorize the desired Main variation with the desired activated Intro, possibly Sync Start, and the Piano sound on Reg button #1. On Reg button #2 memorize the same Main Variation, possibly with activated Fill-in, without Sync Start, and with the Strings sound. If you then need the Strings sound after playing the Intro, just switch to Reg button #2 (manually or, if the Registration Sequence function is activated, via a foot switch), and everything is fine. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you Chris for detailed explanation.

I sorted it out.
I just start playing the Intro (Sync/Start is ON, that way it holds the left hand chords for Main A) and then
I turn on the OTS Link with my left hand at the same time when the style switches to Main A with String voice.

Thanks again

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 09:03:28 PM »
Thank you Chris for detailed explanation.

I sorted it out.
I just start playing the Intro (Sync/Start is ON, that way it holds the left hand chords for Main A) and then
I turn on the OTS Link with my left hand at the same time when the style switches to Main A with String voice.

Thanks again

Thanks for your feedback brucerez! I'm glad you found a solution for yourself.

Basically, I can only repeat myself with my recommendation not to use OTS and Registrations at the same time and to switch off the OTS LINK function when using Registrations if the Style Control buttons are also to be operated directly.

In my opinion, the only advantage of OTS is that these are saved directly with the style and therefore, in contrast to Registrations in which user styles are used, you only have to manage a single file.

The main disadvantage of OTS for me, however, is that far fewer parameters can be stored in it than in Registrations. For example, it is not possible to save style volume, split points, fingering or foot pedal settings in OTS (but only in Registrations). In addition, all supported parameters are always saved in OTS, while in Registrations you can activate or deactivate various parameter groups as required when memorizing, depending on the purpose for which the Registration in question is to be used.

Best regards
Chris
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:05:45 PM by overover »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 10:14:05 PM »
I used the OTS a lot - it's a fantastic tool, and allows you select the next song on the fly while you are still performing another song, thereby eliminating downtime between songs. A few years ago, I posted a video of this procedure. You are doing the right thing, and keep up the good work in exploring all your keyboard's wonder features.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 10:54:21 PM »
I used the OTS a lot - it's a fantastic tool, and allows you select the next song on the fly while you are still performing another song, thereby eliminating downtime between songs. A few years ago, I posted a video of this procedure. You are doing the right thing, and keep up the good work in exploring all your keyboard's wonder features.

I'm sure you meant the MusicFinder, Gary. The same is true of Playlists on newer generation keyboards.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 01:48:34 AM »
You are correct, Fred. My wife told me the mind was the second thing to go - I didn't ask here what the first thing was  ;)

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: mhack