Author Topic: Assignable foot-switch  (Read 1210 times)

Offline mhack

Assignable foot-switch
« on: December 27, 2022, 02:53:15 PM »
An assignable foot-switch for external monitor to advance lyrics/text is on my wish list.

Offline overover

Re: Assignable foot-switch
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »
Hi Mike,

Why "wish list"? You can already assign the functions "Lyrics Page +/-" or "Text Viewer Page +/-" to the desired pedal(s) (Assignable Functions > Song category). You can find more information in the SX900/700 Reference Manual on page 115.

The only pity is that PSR-S/SX models only have two (2) assignable pedal jacks (Genos/Tyros models: three). In my opinion, given the variety of possible functions, there should be many more assignable pedal jacks available.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, hans1966

Offline mhack

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 01:51:28 AM »
Hey Chris,
I had watched a video online concerning how to set up registrations, etc, on the SX900, using a foot switch to move through the file. That fellow just breezed through the registration file with a foot switch.
Not near the number of switches needed. I believe could handle four.

Happy New Year! Thanks for coming to my aid.

Mike

Offline Lefty

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 03:49:30 PM »
<SNIP>
The only pity is that PSR-S/SX models only have two (2) assignable pedal jacks (Genos/Tyros models: three). In my opinion, given the variety of possible functions, there should be many more assignable pedal jacks available.
<SNIP>

I it possible to connect a midi foot controller to the midi in on my SX900?  This way I could add a bunch of switches to control things.  I have a 12 button midi switch from my guitar rig.

Happy NY
   Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 05:06:41 PM »
I only have two feet and two hands. At my age, I'm having trouble determining which to use to play the keyboard! :)

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 06:15:29 PM »
Hey Chris,
I had watched a video online concerning how to set up registrations, etc, on the SX900, using a foot switch to move through the file. That fellow just breezed through the registration file with a foot switch.
Not near the number of switches needed. I believe could handle four.

Happy New Year! Thanks for coming to my aid.

Mike

Hi Mike,

What you're talking about here is the "Registration Sequence" feature. If this is activated (this is only possible GLOBALLY, not per registration), the pedals assigned there ("Registration +" and/or "Registration -") can only be used for this function (i.e. this overrides the pedal function(s) assigned in the Assignable display).

With the "Registration Sequence" feature you can switch through registrations (of the current bank or from mutiple banks in a row) consecutively or in a programmed order. In addition, there are many useful functions that can be assigned to a pedal in the Assignable display. Of course, you can also combine both methods, e.g. with a total of two available pedals, only use one of them for the Registration Sequence function "Registration +". The second pedal can then have a different function in each registration if required.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:17:21 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 06:47:08 PM »
Is it possible to connect a midi foot controller to the midi in on my SX900?  This way I could add a bunch of switches to control things.  I have a 12 button midi switch from my guitar rig.

Happy NY
   Craig

Hi Craig,

Unlike the Genos, PSR-SX models do not have an "External Controller" tab in the MIDI settings. It is therefore not possible here to assign/map pedal functions to MIDI note-on or MIDI control change commands. If the external MIDI foot switch supports SysEx commands (which is the case with relatively few such devices), you can switch certain functions directly, but unfortunately the corresponding SysEx are not documented for many functions.

Best regards,
Chris