Author Topic: why does a different registration bank load in after a current bank is saved?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline p$manK32

Every time I save a whole registration bank successfully to user memory, the bank I just saved does not stay on the 8 button registration panel. Instead it automatically loads in a different registration bank to the keyboard panel. Does anyone know why it does this and how to prevent it from happening?

thanks
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline Fred Smith

Every time I save a whole registration bank successfully to user memory, the bank I just saved does not stay on the 8 button registration panel. Instead it automatically loads in a different registration bank to the keyboard panel. Does anyone know why it does this and how to prevent it from happening?

This isn't true on any keyboard I've owned. The saved bank stays loaded for me.

What procedure are you following to save the bank?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline p$manK32

After I am happy with my settings I press Memory, then press the registration button number I want to save it to. Apparently that just saves it to the panel bank because if I move on to select another bank it asks me if I want to save the current bank because it's been changed. I hit "Save". Then I have to hit "Save Here" in the upper right, then OK in the keyboard screen, as I want the bank to be called the same name to overwrite the older one. A pop up then comes up that says this bank already exists and do I want to save over it, which I say "yes". This procedure I just described saves my banks just fine, but as you can see it's too many steps. So what happens next is the current bank I just saved is no longer on my panel and the next bank on my registration list after that loads in.

Keep in my mind I come from the Mac world, so I still find the saving in this OS a bit awkward. If there is an easier procedure please outline the steps I should take.

thanks!

Offline Fred Smith

After I am happy with my settings I press Memory, then press the registration button number I want to save it to. Apparently that just saves it to the panel bank because if I move on to select another bank it asks me if I want to save the current bank because it's been changed. I hit "Save". Then I have to hit "Save Here" in the upper right, then OK in the keyboard screen, as I want the bank to be called the same name to overwrite the older one. A pop up then comes up that says this bank already exists and do I want to save over it, which I say "yes". This procedure I just described saves my banks just fine, but as you can see it's too many steps. So what happens next is the current bank I just saved is no longer on my panel and the next bank on my registration list after that loads in.

The key to solving your problem is your statement "select another bank". So when you've saved your currently loaded bank, guess what the keyboard is going to do -- it's going to load the bank you selected. If you don't want another bank loaded, don't select one.

To save a bank, press the registration button (I believe it's J on your keyboard), save>save here>OK>Yes. We all know this is a dumb dialogue sequence, but it's the Yamaha way. Get used to it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Amwilburn

What's happening is you modify the current registration, and when you select another bank, it will *then* ask you to save the one you modified.
If instead, you save it as soon as you change it, it won't pop up another dialog when you change to another bank, because that current bank will already have been saved.

So of *course* the current one you saved is no longer the current; you were asked to save as you were trying to load another one because of unsaved changes. Again, if you save it as soon as you modify it, it will not only stay current, but you won't get a pop up if you then load a different registration.

Mark

Offline p$manK32

Mark, Fred,

Yes, I do need to save the bank file first before moving onto another bank, that would explain the problem I was having. What happened was I was purposely using the + -  bank file buttons to engage the dialog box so that it would ask me to save my bank. I looked at the manual again and it reminded me that I need to just go to the Save icon at the top of the registration window instead of engaging the + - buttons. So thanks.

Fred,
I don't understand part of your response (below). What registration button? And what is "J" on what keyboard?
"To save a bank, press the registration button (I believe it's J on your keyboard)"

Rich

Offline Fred Smith

I don't understand part of your response (below). What registration button? And what is "J" on what keyboard?
"To save a bank, press the registration button (I believe it's J on your keyboard)"

Sorry, I thought you had an older keyboard that didn’t have a touchscreen. My mistake.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ