Author Topic: Registrations Workshop  (Read 3375 times)

Divemaster

Registrations Workshop
« on: February 11, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks for the superb  Registrations Workshop by Heidrun Dolde in the Lessons /Tuition section of this site.

Having printed it off, and followed it over the course of several days, I am much more comfortable working with Registrations.
The User Manual for the SX 900/ SX 700 series has almost no information on this subject. The workshop is very helpful indeed if you are struggling to understand it. It's only 11 pages to print, and is now in my reference folder.

BOAC

Re: Registrations Workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 02:03:36 AM »
Lessons /Tuition ? ok I give in, where is that section please ?

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 02:37:37 AM »
Lessons /Tuition ? ok I give in, where is that section please ?

Probably Divemaster is talking about this site: :)
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/workshops/H4-registration.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 12:13:47 PM »
There's a much simpler, and bullet-proof, sheet about registrations on my website, but it doesn't cover Genos and SX models. Due to Covid restrictions etc, I haven't been able to get access long enough to do a new version for the newer instruments, but I will do so at some point.

Heidrun's page is 100% correct and great, but it's still more complex than I would have liked for most people.

All the information you need IS in the manuals, but it's scattered and not so easy to follow. Writing manuals is hard - I've done it - and I can see the logic behind the Yamaha manuals, even if I don't agree with it! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Online ckobu

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 12:26:34 PM »
I agree that the instructions in the manual are scattered and difficult to understand. Fortunately, we have a lot of great material made by users like Heidrun or Andy.
The principle of handling registrations has always been the same with the Tyros, PSR or SX series, only the interface is somewhat different.
My video on registrations shows both screens in parallel, and if you include English subtitles, I hope you will find it useful in understanding this content.

https://youtu.be/UYay9UzUnOQ
Watch my video channel

Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 01:09:08 PM »
Some very useful info there, and thanks as always to you all for sharing it, and giving your input.
I'll have a look at your site Andy.  It really does need simplifying. Fortunately I had a Tyros previously so I was able to get it to work, but it wasn't too easy.

But....I think the message I would send to Yamaha would be this. 

Imagine that the person opening the keyboard box for the first time, knows absolutely nothing about it, nothing about music, and nothing about how to play it, and so you're going to have to explain how this lovely instrument, of which you are justifiably very proud actually WORKS. From turning it on, to explaining the whole concept of playing it, and getting the best from it.

There's no use just sketching round subjects that new owners have absolutely no idea about, because that's where a lot of problems arise, and new owners find themselves very frustrated trying to get the best out of an instrument for which they have no instructions that make sense. Sure,more experienced owners will find it easy, but it isn't and I wish they would take that on board.

Just glad this forum exists, or I suspect that a lot of new owners would just lose interest, not just in the instrument, but in music altogether...........and that, in my opinion is a shame, and a completely avoidable situation.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 01:53:30 PM »
https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/workshops/index.html

I think this is the link you asked for.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 10:37:37 PM »
Imagine that the person opening the keyboard box for the first time, knows absolutely nothing about it, nothing about music, and nothing about how to play it, and so you're going to have to explain how this lovely instrument, of which you are justifiably very proud actually WORKS.

That's the dilemma facing the people who have to write the manual. They've probably lived with the product since it was a nut and bolt and know it inside out and upside down. Putting themselves in the mind of the customer you mention is darned difficult, to put it mildly. I had to rewrite manuals for Kawai (in three languages simultaneously, which was 'fun' in itself) to take out the Japanese-isms and make more logical sense of things. And even then I sometimes had to write additional manuals with more diagrams etc.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

BOAC

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 02:14:14 AM »
Thanks for the link. Really useful.
Re Manuals I used to write them for professional Broadcast equipment, and that is exactly what we did, sit a novice down and ask them to perform certain tasks.
No substitute for one to one teaching though.
You said, I suspect that a lot of new owners would just lose interest, not just in the instrument, but in music altogether, that’s exactly where I was last week but thanks to Steve at Yamaha UK it might have gone out the window.
As I said in my last post in Re: Lessons for SX 900 training in the operation is really important. Especially with us artyfarty impatient types.

Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »
Andy and BOAC have absolutely understood what I was saying.

Try this.

Open the box for a new owner Plug it in. Turn it on and then step away. Right away.

Then ask that person to Load a Registration..........All you will get is blank looks   ??? :-\

GET THAT POINT....You're not asking them to PLAY anything.....

You just need to know how to actually operate it. And THAT's what's missing.

All that's needed is Step by Step instructions, not assuming any previous knowledge.  So Easy, and yet so hard when missing from the Manuals.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:14:08 AM by Divemaster »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 12:27:00 PM »
This is exactly how I produced my instructional DVD's for the Tyros range. From a home players point of view when switching on the keyboard going right through to the end product of playing and recording. It had Yamaha's approval and was sent all over world. I only stopped selling it at the end of last year when decent CD's and Cases became hard to get plus modern printers no longer printed directly on disks.

Offline Pityus

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 08:04:54 AM »
For a finished registration memory song,
I just want to change the release time of the left sound.
Can I do this in the Mixer/EQ menu?
I can't find a way to do that.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 09:18:43 AM »
For a finished registration memory song,
I just want to change the release time of the left sound.
Can I do this in the Mixer/EQ menu?
I can't find a way to do that.

If you have a new topic, you’re going to get quicker, more pertinent responses when you start a new thread than hijacking an old one.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bill

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 09:44:08 PM »
[quote author=Divemaster link=topic=62167.msg476109#msg476109 date=1644748940

All that's needed is Step by Step instructions, not assuming any previous knowledge.  So Easy, and yet so hard when missing from the Manuals.
[/quote]

Have you seen the many other guides produced by Yamaha

https://hub.yamaha.com/keyboards/k-how-to/genos-power-playing-using-registrations/

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Divemaster

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 10:31:27 AM »
Thanks for this Bill, It's useful to have.

Being only a Home Player, I'm still trying to decide if Registrations are as much use to me as Playlists (Music Finder) files.
Having the knowledge to use either is useful, but I think unless you're a Performer there really isn't any urgency for me to go quickly from one song to another.

The help on the forums is much appreciated.